superdish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CbandLover

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 20, 2004
Ok, dumb question... but if the size of a Primestar dish and a SuperDISH look about the same, could the superdish be used for FTA with a standard lnbf or is this idea just impossable due to dish design? I ask because there seem to be different configurations for this dish depending on which sats it looks at, (of which I would also like to know the purpose of the smaller lnb and then you have the DishPro for locals I believe, which somebody told me that locals are shared with Direc---is that true? And would they not all be the same dishpros since it is DBS?) Somebody straighten this out for my curiosity. Thanks in advance.

CbandLover said:
Ok, dumb question... but if the size of a Primestar dish and a SuperDISH look about the same, could the superdish be used for FTA with a standard lnbf or is this idea just impossable due to dish design? I ask because there seem to be different configurations for this dish depending on which sats it looks at, (of which I would also like to know the purpose of the smaller lnb and then you have the DishPro for locals I believe, which somebody told me that locals are shared with Direc---is that true? And would they not all be the same dishpros since it is DBS?) Somebody straighten this out for my curiosity. Thanks in advance.

You could use a Superdish for FTA. You could use the LNBF that comes with it for one slot.

Regardless of which one there is, the FSS slot (105 or 121) has to look directly to it. The spacing of the other 2 slots is what's different

I don't understand what you mean by locals are shared by DirecTv. Yes, 119 is shared by both Direct & Dish (Dish has 21 TP's..Direct has 11), but they use 2 different encryption techniques so they arent compatible

Thanks Ice.. that is exactly what I wasn't sure about.. I heard a dishnet installer tell me something about the locals on the same sat. When you say they share it, that makes sense.. So who owns 119 then? And you say that I could use a standard lnbf, and a dbs lnb for the music both on a superdish?

CbandLover said:
Thanks Ice.. that is exactly what I wasn't sure about.. I heard a dishnet installer tell me something about the locals on the same sat. When you say they share it, that makes sense.. So who owns 119 then? And you say that I could use a standard lnbf, and a dbs lnb for the music both on a superdish?

Dish owns 21 TP's on 119
Direct Owns 11 Tp's on 119
They're 2 different satellites that are real close in orbit to each other (118.9 & 119.1 maybe), but we just say 119

You could use the standard LNB and a DBS one...depending on what you are trying to get
standard for Galaxy 10 (123) and the DBS for 119...then yes
Motorized...yep
AMC9 (85) and 119? nope

primestar dish

I finally came across a Primestar dish yesterday. It was in a front yard of someones house. I knocked on the door, a real cool guy answered, and 5 minutes later I had me a free dish! Nothing compares to free equipment when you are just tinkering with stuff! :) Very good shape too. It is a 74e, the smaller of the Channel Masters I think, but I hope it will do, and I am not complaining about a free dish. If all that is on 119 is music, then I am not interested because I get music, premiums, and everything else on cable since I work for them. And I also have XM.
I found that on this dish that I got yesterday the lnb has only one output.. I have seen these Primestar dishes with H and V outputs-- does this mean I found a good one with no switch for polarities required? Is there anything special I need to know to put this thing on a Fortec Ultra from PSB perhaps? And this size 74e will be ok, right? Thanks in advance.

Can't complain about a free dish : ) Yea! Sounds like its a standard KU LNBF (H+V) with one input so you should be set to go, just set the L.O. to 10750 and you are done.
You can shove a DBS LNB on it for 119 if needed, the size sounds fine. The only thing you "may" want to do further down the line is change the LNBF to a low noise model, but as I say great "find"

with the single output, you are one step ahead of the older models that had 2 (one for vertical and one for horizontal)

It will handle both polarities :)

NASA channel is also on 119. I have three P* dishes. One larger than the other two. One output on the LNB make life simple since it has both V and H. I found my elevation marks to be 4 degs off. I think it is this way 40 = 36? I am not sure tho. There are sat location programs out there to help find the sats also a signal meter helps BUT the receiver's meter should be used to fine turn the dish. There are also two Ca. Bell sats that have some free stuff on them also. 91 W has the most. You need a DTV/Dish Network LNB to get them tho.

IA 5 95W and G10R 123W have strong signals. They might be a good place to start.

Good luck.

CbandLover said:
I finally came across a Primestar dish yesterday. It was in a front yard of someones house. I knocked on the door, a real cool guy answered, and 5 minutes later I had me a free dish! Nothing compares to free equipment when you are just tinkering with stuff! :) Very good shape too. It is a 74e, the smaller of the Channel Masters I think, but I hope it will do, and I am not complaining about a free dish. If all that is on 119 is music, then I am not interested because I get music, premiums, and everything else on cable since I work for them. And I also have XM.
I found that on this dish that I got yesterday the lnb has only one output.. I have seen these Primestar dishes with H and V outputs-- does this mean I found a good one with no switch for polarities required? Is there anything special I need to know to put this thing on a Fortec Ultra from PSB perhaps? And this size 74e will be ok, right? Thanks in advance.

You guys are awesome. I have never been that excited to see a Primestar dish, then to find out it has a lnb that I will not have to upgrade for a new one right away--knock on wood. I agree with Pete about getting a new one eventually-- Invacom is killer from what I hear and was told by someone on here that it will fit to the feedhorn on this dish to maximize the elliptical design. C120 mount I belive is what someone said. Anyone know a good vendor to get one of those Invacoms? I don't even know what programming I am looking for on FTA beside stuff in English because I don't understand anything else :) . I just want to hook it up and see what I can find out there and be able to know what I am talking about on here.. :)
Thanks again guys for the advice.. Receiver, motor, and pole mount are next.

ps .. the nice thing about my job as a cable guy is that people with cable sometimes have an old dish too.. I scored a Sony 18x24 last week and a 18x18 KTI today both with duals. I got nothing against DBS--I am a consumer and loved the competition when I was paying for cable years ago. btw--If NASA is on 119, is that worth trying to get that one too? Do they show launches and the Space Station stuff? Thanks again.

NASA is in the clear on 119 (dish)
There is some audio on there too...check out in the FAQ's section "what can I get with an 18" dish" :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)