Superfan & New customer

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NateCohen

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
Hello I have been trying to get DirecTV to get me Superfan for free. I'm not even a customer yet and I signed up online. I then called and told them I wanted to cancel my installation because I didn't realize Superfan cost an extra $100.00. The rep went ahead and canceled my order without even trying to keep me as a customer!

I really want DirecTV service and would love to have the Sunday Ticket package and free 5 months of premier, but I am not willing to pay the $100.00 for Superfan. Does anyone here have any ideas on how to get Superfan included with the Sunday Ticket? I'm so surprised they won't just include the superfan for free for a new customer. I'm so amazed.

Well I called again and they still won't budge...I give up I will just watch the games on justin.tv this year.

I know I sound like a cheapskate, but I can't justify paying $100.00 for some HD football games. Even if it does include premier free for 6 months.

If you haven't had the svc installed yet that may make it difficult to get any ST/SF deals. Regrettable but maybe it's true.

I agree with you 100% about the SF HD charge. It's been discussed over on the ST thread as well. I can see DTV charging for the other SF features, Red Zone, Shortcut, etc. but not the HD access to the games themselves. I just think that. if a customer is paying for HD access in their account, the ST games should be available in HD without paying for SF. That's why I called CS a few weeks ago and got the SF-free deal along with a ST discount. The ST discount was great, but I was willing to cancel due to the SF charge. I was glad that they gave me the SF-free deal.

Again its how much effort u want to put into it but ive seen posts where its taken up to 4 or 5 calls to u get a cool csr....i would keep trying....i know its annoying but to me its worth it in the long run.

I've tried like 4 times...I'm amazed it's that hard to get someone to get super fan for free if you're not a customer yet. You'd think they would throw it in no questions asked for a new customer and 24 month contract...surprised.

Reality check - you aren't a current customer, have no payment history and they have 0 invested in you - and you expect the free stuff that long time customers with a great payment history get?

Time to get a grip dude - they don't "owe" you squat.

Get the service if you want it - PAY your bills on time - then maybe they owe you some loyalty stuff.

Reality check - you aren't a current customer, have no payment history and they have 0 invested in you - and you expect the free stuff that long time customers with a great payment history get?

Get the service if you want it - PAY your bills on time - then maybe they owe you some loyalty stuff.

And your already offered 5 months free as a new sub, what more do you want ?
Thats what $ 350 right there they are saving you.

I have to TOTALLY agree. They don't know that you will pay on time or buy premiums like PPV movies etc. You have to EARN the ST for free. Step back and try to be objective Nate. Look at ALL your ARE getting for your $100.:cool:

I've tried like 4 times...I'm amazed it's that hard to get someone to get super fan for free if you're not a customer yet. You'd think they would throw it in no questions asked for a new customer and 24 month contract...surprised.
As others have said, you are getting 5 free months of the highest programming for free. They set the promo up that way knowing that most subscribers are going to pay for SF. They also look at a person credit score and based on that they decide if someone is worth fighting for.

DTV also looks at the customer's "tier" rating when you call for a deal or discount. When I called recently to try and obtain a discounted ST/SF price, the CSR mentioned that to me during our conversation. Their tier rating is primarily determined by pymt history. I don't know what other criteria they may consider, like complaint history or anything else.

Over on the other ST/SF thread, the only thing that surprises me about this is that I read where some DTV customers of good standing aren't getting deals as others here have obtained, free ST and discounted ST prices. But as has been mentioned, a lot of it appears to be with which CSR who you happen to connect when you call, and perhaps how the customer converses with the CSR.

When I called to look into ST/SF discounts, I told the CSR that I've been a happy DTV customer since '99 and the only reason I was calling this year is that the ST/SF prices were out of the range of my budget this year.

I just signed up last week with the 59.99 deal(still waiting on install). It took me two calls to have free SF added. The first rep gave me a flat no they cant do that the second spoke to her supervisor and included it for free. I also was able to get them to waive my shipping fees. I think it fully depends on what csr you get and how you speak with them. I was polite with a minor threat of cancellation.

Well I got my DirecTV installed Saturday. I gave in and will just be paying the $100.00 for the Superfan. I don't care if they gave me 5 months free of premier I still think it's crappy business to charge $10.00/month for HD, and then charge an additional $100.00 for the games in HD. Shouldn't double dip like that. That's all. Anyway loving the HD-DVR it's awesome.

Edit: Well called again and got Superfan added for free. Guess DirecTV does have the best support ever.

Last edited:
I'm kind of in the same boat as Nate, except I didn't threaten to cancel my new subscription. When I made my initial order, they said they would add in SuperFan (for the additional cost). Then when I reviewed my order online, I noticed there was no charge for SuperFan, so I called them up to verify that I had it. SuperFan was not on my account. So I'll be paying the additional $20 for 5 months. My bill for 4 boxes for the 5 months will be $104.99 per month. I figured I'd pay the extra $20 x 5 months as a new sub and hopefully get a good rep with them (maybe good tier) so next year I can get a break on the NFL ticket & SF. :cool:

I might as well add to the discussion. I just subscribed last week and tried to get SF for free. The rep initially said no. I told him my in-laws were offered it for free this year to keep sunday ticket but were moving and I would like to have that same option (that's actually true). He said he spoke to his supervisor and was shot down. I may try calling again here, I got nothing to lose and $100 to gain...

Just keep trying it took my like 6 tries, but I finally got a rep to add it for me.

I just hade my install done yesterday, the 5 month free package. Several calls and talking to supervisors and a flat no on every try. Seems to me you have to have some history to get it for free.. so I will try again next year when i resign for ST/SF.. In my case every CSR i spoke to said the same thing, i can't do that but would be happy to forward your to my sup which shot it down in every case.. the reason every time was your already getting five months free or paying for the ultimate package with the ST for free.. either way its a great deal of service given away to sign up and thats all your getting.. I can't say i disagree with that premise. Calling to cancel a new customer install is a bit lame in my opinion as you know the prices going in..

I just hade my install done yesterday, the 5 month free package. Several calls and talking to supervisors and a flat no on every try. Seems to me you have to have some history to get it for free.. so I will try again next year when i resign for ST/SF.. In my case every CSR i spoke to said the same thing, i can't do that but would be happy to forward your to my sup which shot it down in every case.. the reason every time was your already getting five months free or paying for the ultimate package with the ST for free.. either way its a great deal of service given away to sign up and thats all your getting.. I can't say i disagree with that premise. Calling to cancel a new customer install is a bit lame in my opinion as you know the prices going in..

Well they did just give you a big discount on the package. I think it's one deal at a time. I got free superfan and I get it every year but I don't ask for any other discounts.

Superfan

I am a previous ST subscriber (in 08), but never prior to that. I feel that ST is way too pricey, I did call yesterday and the CSR told me that they could offer me the following since I did subscribe to ST in the past. They would give me $10 off for 6 months and free SF, that would be a total of $ 240.00 for ST + SF, I told them I'd think about it, I'd like to get it for $200.00 even, I think that is what it should be in the first place. Back in 2000, when I first subscribed to DTV I got ST for free, the next year 2001, I did not renew I believe it was $219.00 back then and there was no HD of course. I thought $219.00 was too high then, and still do. I think MLBEI and NBASP are reasonably priced, especially when you see how many games you get each week for approximately 1/2 year. But the NFLST + SF, without discounts it is a whopping $399.00 !!

I think MLBEI and NBASP are reasonably priced, especially when you see how many games you get each week for approximately 1/2 year. But the NFLST + SF, without discounts it is a whopping $399.00 !!

- Because u only have 16 nfl games so every game is BIG....baseball/basketball u lose today who cares u just play tomorrow again.

- Yea its $399 if u blow off the early bird renew rate....if u would of had it last year and just renewed it then it would be $375.94 without discounts & again alot people get SF free so its really $275.94.

Status
Please reply by conversation.