SUPERSTATIONS HD/ ENCORE CHANNELS HD???

I'll bet a dollar it's more about bandwidth than concern with violating any laws, as the laws do not specify HD or SD.

As for WWOR, it's on a spotbeam to conserve bandwidth. And, Dish allows those who sub to it as a Superstation outside of the DMA to receive it in HD. I'm sure they would do the same if it were CONUS. But, it seems obviously, they don't want to devote those limited CONUS resources to Supers. Many folks would love it if they did. But, I guess they don't feel it would be enough to justify the cost.

I doubt very much they care about making waves with the networks and affiliates, as that never stopped them before. Nor, fear getting in dutch with the gov't, as no laws seem to forbid it.

That is an excellent point. Why waste bandwidth putting up multiple feeds of stations that are known primarily for CW and MYNetwork content.?

I think Dish should just try going HD. Most every thing else in the world today is HD. If the stations complain, take it down. Call it a beta test. What do they have to loose. Maybe thats what there doing with WWOR?

I think that DISH has probab ly made the calcualtion that it would hurt not help their revenue. That might be because of SyndEx or because they feel the bandwidth is better used----or a combination of the two factors.

They do not have the bandwidth to run RSNs in HD, why go for an even smaller audience with HD superstations?
you could say that about a number of current HD channels!!! I think it comes down to cost..sports is the most expensive..general entertainment super stations are probably cheap

you could say that about a number of current HD channels!!! I think it comes down to cost..sports is the most expensive..general entertainment super stations are probably cheap

In fact they do not pay the superstations directly. They simply make a copyright payment annually. it is way cheaper than most programming. I see no difference in the rate for SD vs. HD.

Full time RSNs should not cost Dish any more money, they are paying for them anyways.

The other low viewership HD channels are usually force bundled by programmers to get their demanded channels.

I would love to see Dish gain more capacity, but short of the MPEG4 switchout of WA, I do not see them gaining capacity in the next few years.

OK, now I will weigh in ... If I am willing to PAY for it, they should be willing to PROVIDE it.

End of story.

Just doesn't matter if you want it/will pay for it. It's how many are willing to pay for it, and if the bandwidth is worth it. And that is assuming there is no legal reason.

Full time RSNs should not cost Dish any more money, they are paying for them anyways.

The other low viewership HD channels are usually force bundled by programmers to get their demanded channels.

I would love to see Dish gain more capacity, but short of the MPEG4 switchout of WA, I do not see them gaining capacity in the next few years.
Then please explain the Dish/Disney HD dispute

OK, now I will weigh in ... If I am willing to PAY for it, they should be willing to PROVIDE it.

End of story.
I = renegade
they = Dish Network
Dish Network = millions of subscribers
millions of subscribers >> I

Therefore... not that simple.

End of story.
It's by no means the end of the story. If the money you are willing to pay is not enough to make a profit, or at the very least cover their costs, they should not provide it under normal circumstances. It would be a stupid business decision to do so.

Then please explain the Dish/Disney HD dispute

I do not understand what that has to do with this?

If you mean they have a few channels of capacity because they have the Disney HD channels turned off, well I suppose they know they will eventually be back on Disney one way or another (i.e. next big contract negotiation).

If you mean they have a few channels of capacity because they have the Disney HD channels turned off, well I suppose they know they will eventually be back on Disney one way or another (i.e. next big contract negotiation).
the argument is over extra money for the HD signal

IN the case of the superstations though the money argument does not apply. DISH does not pay the supers for their signal. They simply pay a copyright fee to the US Copyright office and there is nothing that indicates it would change if the signal carried was SD. In fact the periodic filing just asjs for the number of subs subscribing to each digital or analog station.

Capacity issues could be addressed by ending the needless duplicity caused by dual streams (HD/SD) Turn off the SD streams, down-convert the HD for SD-only subscribers, and there would be lots of bandwidth available at a lower cost than adding satellites.

Capacity issues could be addressed by ending the needless duplicity caused by dual streams (HD/SD) Turn off the SD streams, down-convert the HD for SD-only subscribers, and there would be lots of bandwidth available at a lower cost than adding satellites.

Unfortunately it does not appear that the content providers want to allow down conversion to consolidate bandwidth.

This will not work unless you replace ALL SD receivers with HD receivers, MPEG2 SD receivers cannot decode an MPEG4 HD signal and I 'll guess there are more SD receivers out there than HD receivers or at least the numbers are quite high.

They should at least turn the HD on for one CW channel in the Superstations package for the people who don't have CW in HD in their local package or don't have the CW as a local at all.However, I would rather have KTLA in HD over WPIX. My opinion is that WWOR & WSBK are now worthless since they are no longer UPN affiliates and just show reruns of LAW & Order, Burn Notice, etc. Stuff you can find in HD on alot of other channels on DISH.

They should at least turn the HD on for one CW channel in the Superstations package for the people who don't have CW in HD in their local package or don't have the CW as a local at all.However, I would rather have KTLA in HD over WPIX. My opinion is that WWOR & WSBK are now worthless since they are no longer UPN affiliates and just show reruns of LAW & Order, Burn Notice, etc. Stuff you can find in HD on alot of other channels on DISH.

well they are My Netwok affilaites. Not that I could even name an original progrqm on that network or even a recent network castoff that people would wnat but they are out there. WSBK has some independent programming (not sure about WWOR0 but most of it is decidedly local in its appeal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)