Hopper OTA module question

kpip99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
I don't have dish but almost got it with 2 hoppers no joeys about a year ago until I found out dish doesn't have locals in HD in my city so therefore the PTAT wouldn't work for me. My question is if I got an OTA module then I would have my locals in HD and they would show up on the hoppers guide. Correct ? So would PTAT work for me with that setup ?

My question is if I got an OTA module then I would have my locals in HD and they would show up on the hoppers guide. Correct?

Yup.

So would PTAT work for me with that setup ?

Not on the OTA tuner. PTAT works by recording up to 4 streams from a single satellite transponder using a single satellite tuner. That cannot be done with a single OTA tuner.

Now some markets without HD locals can still use PTAT... Don't know about your particular market. And I think I read around here that when Autohop is enabled, it works on OTA locals as well. But don't quote me on that.

Having two Hoppers and two OTA modules is nice though (what I have), can record two at a time and plenty of storage space.

How many channels could I record at the same time with 2 hoppers with two OTA modules and no joeys? Keep in mind I wouldn't be using PTAT since locals in HD are not available in my city.

How many channels could I record at the same time with 2 hoppers with two OTA modules and no joeys? Keep in mind I wouldn't be using PTAT since locals in HD are not available in my city.

Without PTAT, each Hopper would have 3 sat tuners, add one OTA for each Hopper gives you a total of 8. Keep in mind, the number of Joeys would not matter in your setup since they do not have tuners, they make use of a tuner from a Hopper.

With PTAT not enabled you would be able to record 3 satellite and 1 OTA channel for each Hopper for a total of 8 channels recording at the same time for 2 Hoppers.

Little bit of a tangent, but I'm pretty sure that if you don't have Dish locals, then the OTA stations will not integrate into the program guide. Anyone know if that's true?

Yup.

Not on the OTA tuner. PTAT works by recording up to 4 streams from a single satellite transponder using a single satellite tuner. That cannot be done with a single OTA tuner.

Now some markets without HD locals can still use PTAT... Don't know about your particular market. And I think I read around here that when Autohop is enabled, it works on OTA locals as well. But don't quote me on that.

It worked on my ota locals. I have Houston,Tx locals for my local city by Satellite and Beaumont/Pt.Arthur ,Tx ota stations. I used my ota CBS to record the Good Wife and padded it for sports overage. I got PTAT auto hop on my ota station as well the next day on my recordings. Both cities are carried by DISH in hd on the satellite, so that may be why I got autohop for both the satellite CBS and the Ota CBS .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)