Superstations No Longer Offered A La Carte Effective 9/19

Some markets where Dish doesn't carry a local, they sub. one of the supers instead. My small market in Tx. gets WPIX on channel 916 instead of in the 230s' if you sub to the SS.
This is my situation too so I wonder if Dish cancelling the SS pack will affect those of us in this situation?

This is my situation too so I wonder if Dish cancelling the SS pack will affect those of us in this situation?
In my case, in the Wichita Falls market there is a CW sub-channel that Directv carries but Dish doesn't. They might carry that. Of course it is low SD quality just like the supers on Dish.

Sorry to see Superstations go.

Originally I went with dishnetwork(way back before HD)because I enjoyed the superstations.Also my Locals werent up yet.The Superstations played programming that the locals now play.and in HD also.I do enjoy the Phantom Gourmet on WSBK and WWOR programming because my area doesnt have MY TV locally,but rarely I watch as Sd is not my thing anymore.We dont have a Local CW on Dish but Dish has always given us KTLA as part of the local package(SD).will that change?But for now Superstations are just not worth the money if only in SD.

Funny how they did this not long after I left Dish and moved back here to New Jersey. I subscribed to WWOR and WPIX back in Erie because I am a native of this area. Erie has no MyNetworkTV affiliate at present outside of Time Warner subscribers who have WUAB out of Cleveland, so any Dish subscriber who likes those reruns may want to look into getting WWOR and/or WSBK before the 19th. On a semi-related note...it's so nice to be able to actually watch My9 and PIX 11 in HD now. :)

Wondering the same thing. I have the big 4 on HD. On OTA there is a CW substation, but I get WPIX on channel 916. Since its crappy SD I just watch everything on Hulu.

Sent from my iPad

The link does not work for me. What does it say about the supers and DISH?

I get an error message for this page.

I don't understand; I've gone to it from different PC's...anyway, here's the article:

ACA, NAB, DISH others to testify
By John Eggerton -- Broadcasting & Cable, 9/5/2013 1:51:50 PM
The House Subcommittee on Courts, Intellectual Property and the Internet has scheduled a hearing on satellite legislation, specifically distant signal importation, for Sept. 10, according to a notice from the committee.

The parent Judiciary Committee and Energy & Commerce both have jurisdiction over The Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act (STELA), which must be reauthorized by the end of 2014 or it will expire. STELA provides the blanket license allowing for the importation of distant network TV station signals.

Witnesses for the hearing are Stanton Dodge, executive VP and general counsel at DISH; Earle MacKenzie from the American Cable Association; Gerard Waldron from the National Association of Broadcasters; James Campbell, VP, CenturyLink; Robert Garrett from Major League Baseball; and Don Lowery, senior VP, Nielsen.

The House Communications Subcommittee has already held one STELA hearing and is expected to hold a second this month.

Sign up now to get grandfathered. It is a once in a life time thing. After the 19th you can never get them.

Well this sucks... I've stayed a D* customer over the years, but back when I was younger I really, REALLY wanted the Superstations (mainly so I could watch WB shows) -- but I also liked more movie channels -- and back when I first got D*, they had more movie channels... then Dish one-upped them there for a good 6-8 years, but I was invested in DirecTivos and didn't want to switch. Also by that point The CW happened and pretty much any network programming I wanted to watch on them went away. I also have grandfathered DNS on D* so that took away the "LA News & syndication" aspect.

I say this sucks however because I still think Distant Networks/Superstations are just one of those "cool" things that satellite can easily do -- and being a bit of a TV/news dork, I always thought it was and is cool to get TV from various parts of the country. Occasionally when the bug strikes I'll pull out the FTA set and get ABC out of Wyoming and CBS out of Guam--and last time I looked there were like 30 various CW, My, RTV affiliates from the middle of nowhere up there--instant Superstation package x 5 :) It's just a little sad that they have to legislate this aspect out of satellite tv when they decide it's "too easy" to receive--might as well black out all the FTA backhaul and network feeds while your at it since they must not be "legal to receive in your DMA"...

I know the laws are totally different, but it seems that in Canada you pick up a "locals pack" with 30-40 local stations from around the country... I wish we could have something similar (which reminds me, I'd love to get CBC out of Vancouver in the locals on D* for the Seattle DMA like Comcast has--the ONLY thing I like about them... there's no US programming on CBC, so what's stopping them from adding a few of their feeds to the northern DMAs?) but I know the NAB would never go for it.

I'm thinking this is just a case of political pressure... E* already got busted once for DNS issues, so if the Superstations are going to be a potential issue, they probably figured they should just pull them and not create any ire (maybe some local broadcaster offered them better rates on their locals if they didn't have potentially competing syndication from other markets?)... That said, these stations are legally allowed to be broadcast nationwide, so I'd have rather just seen that status pulled than E* bow to whatever pressure must be there (or they wouldn't be doing it).

As for them being up there but continuing to be grandfathered -- does anyone know if these are the actual feeds that are used into LIL for their respective SD feeds? Seems like E* would save a space on the spotbeam by just remapping the CONUS Superstation feed into that local markets local package... If they are doing this it would make sense to just leave it alone...

The only way bandwidth is being used for Superstations, is for those that are in a DMA where that DMA is not on both ARC's. But you are talking a couple of them, and they are in SD.
Your post is right on. I feel like you do - it's just cool and something Satellite can do easily to give a distant city. I have AAD, and when something is going on in the San Francisco or even LA area, those channels are often live giving the info. And honestly on our small bedroom TV, SD is fine and we enjoy getting those channels.

I don't understand; I've gone to it from different PC's...anyway, here's the article:
the NAB has even said they do not oppose it. I suspect though that it simply is not a moneymaker for diSH and that can kill anything.

Thanks for providing it. I have no explanationas to why I cannot got o it but Ic annot. So far there has been no stated opposition to reauthorizing the superstaions (unlike distant nets)

I wonder if grandfathering would carry over from one channel to another. In other words, if I sub to WPIX now and then 6 months later decide I want to switch to KTLA, would I be able to do it?

I'm thinking this is just a case of political pressure... E* already got busted once for DNS issues, so if the Superstations are going to be a potential issue, they probably figured they should just pull them and not create any ire (maybe some local broadcaster offered them better rates on their locals if they didn't have potentially competing syndication from other markets?)... That said, these stations are legally allowed to be broadcast nationwide, so I'd have rather just seen that status pulled than E* bow to whatever pressure must be there (or they wouldn't be doing it).

I doubt that this is due to political pressure. any local broadcaster that does not want the superstations in their market already has the right to demand a blackout of affected programs (which as a practical matter means the stations are blacked out completely) and that is why the NAB has publicly stated that they do not oppose the superstations.

I would be interested to see how this affects those of you who get these stations as part of LIL. but for now i can continue to watch Sunday with the Stooges and Phantom Gourmet.

I'm glad that they are at least going to grandfather in existing subscribers to the package. I imagine at some point, they'll drop them all together, but nice that they'll stick around for now. I have been a sub of the superstations package for many years, and would be disappointed to lose them.

They will probably just sit up there until Dish decides it needs the space for something else. Of course since they are cutting off new subs, perhaps they already have plans for the space.

My sentiments exactly.The SuperStations may be grandfathered,but they won't be on Dish too much longer.

I was looking to pick up a NY Superstation. I think there are two. Can someone recommend the best one to get. I would like it for programming and NY news. I've had the KTLA one for a while for their news and CW shows 3 hours later. Thanks in advance!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)