Supplying the Internet to an HR20-700

Status
Please reply by conversation.
No secure your network in WPA if possible. Your network is so insecure with WEP. I can hack into it within 30 seconds if needed. (As a Network Administrator its my job to know how to do these things so I don't condone hacking into your neighbors wireless.) Google WEP hacking for more details or you can see the videos on youtube. Your network is soooo vulnerable.

And a number of the wireless bridges don't support WPA. Unless you have to use wireless for a specific reason, it tends to add a lot more headache than benefit.

Wireless is great on a computer where you can see if you lose signal. A bridge doesn't tell you that you're dropping back to a much slower speed and that's why your download is struggling.

As a side note, I worked as a network analyst for years. I never connect embedded devices (like the HR2x) to a network connection that can fail (like wireless). You can buy 2 $30 homeplug devices (from DirecTV even) and have much more reliability than a $40-$90 wireless bridge. That comes with zero configuration.

As a side note, I worked as a network analyst for years. I never connect embedded devices (like the HR2x) to a network connection that can fail (like wireless). You can buy 2 $30 homeplug devices (from DirecTV even) and have much more reliability than a $40-$90 wireless bridge. That comes with zero configuration.

This is why Echostar is building HomePlug 1.0 into their newer receivers. I know DirecTV was looking at doing the same with HomePlugAV, but I don't know the current status of their engineering efforts in this area.

HomePlug available from Directv?

Originally Posted by Bob Nielsen
Last week I replaced it with a couple of Directv's HD DVR Networking kits. These are HomePlug devices which use your home electrical wiring. The devices are made by tii networktechnologies (an OEM supplier) and one is needed at the DVR with another connected to your router (short ethernet cables are included). The price is $35 for the standard units and $60 for one built into a powerstrip (which include surge suppression). I bought two of the latter and they have been working without problems for several days. They are rated at up to 85 Mbps, but I haven't actually tested this.

Are they available from Directv? I saw another post for HomePlug made by Zyxel on the newegg website and they were $130 rather than the $35. you mention above. I went to the Directv website but could not find Directv HD DVR Neworking kits for sale.

Originally Posted by Bob Nielsen
Last week I replaced it with a couple of Directv's HD DVR Networking kits. These are HomePlug devices which use your home electrical wiring. The devices are made by tii networktechnologies (an OEM supplier) and one is needed at the DVR with another connected to your router (short ethernet cables are included). The price is $35 for the standard units and $60 for one built into a powerstrip (which include surge suppression). I bought two of the latter and they have been working without problems for several days. They are rated at up to 85 Mbps, but I haven't actually tested this.

Are they available from Directv? I saw another post for HomePlug made by Zyxel on the newegg website and they were $130 rather than the $35. you mention above. I went to the Directv website but could not find Directv HD DVR Neworking kits for sale.

Ignore this post. I did find it on Directv's website. Now I am just trying to figure out the difference between the $35.00 unit and the $70. unit.

[/I]

The ZyXel ones I posted about in the other thread are 200Mbps HomePlugAV devices and that price is for 2 adapters.

The one on DirecTV's website is for an 85Mbps HomePlug 1.0 + Turbo adapter. I believe it's one adapter for $35 and two for $70. You need two of these to connect one DVR (one connected to the DVR and one connected to the router). They also offer a version that is built into a powerstrip for $60 each.

The ZyXel ones I posted about in the other thread are 200Mbps HomePlugAV devices and that price is for 2 adapters.

The one on DirecTV's website is for an 85Mbps HomePlug 1.0 + Turbo adapter. I believe it's one adapter for $35 and two for $70. You need two of these to connect one DVR (one connected to the DVR and one connected to the router). They also offer a version that is built into a powerstrip for $60 each.

That is correct. These are devices from tii, packaged in a DirecTV box. I bought two of the powerstrip version and they seem pretty solidly built and have worked well so far (85 Mpbs should be more than adequate for DOD or Media Share). The price includes shipping (FedEx 2nd day). Those prices look better than others I have seen for HomePlug Turbo devices (although more than for the 14 Mbps HomePlug). No configuration was required, although they come with a CD containing a Windows program which can be used to add an encryption key (which probably doesn't buy much unless you are in a multifamily dwelling).

I just did this with my account and it would not let me buy just 1. I would have to buy a pair for $70.

You have to have two for them to accomplish anything. One converts the ethernet signal to homeplug, the second from homeplug back to ethernet. Unless you already have a compatible device, buying one would do nothing.

You have to have two for them to accomplish anything. One converts the ethernet signal to homeplug, the second from homeplug back to ethernet. Unless you already have a compatible device, buying one would do nothing.

I used to work on the chips inside them, so I'm well aware of that, but if I already had a HomePlug network setup and only needed 1 adapter, DirecTV won't let me order only 1 (online anyway).

I used to work on the chips inside them, so I'm well aware of that, but if I already had a HomePlug network setup and only needed 1 adapter, DirecTV won't let me order only 1 (online anyway).

In that case, I would suggest calling them.

I have a question about these Homeplugs. What if your DSL has the modem and router all in one and you don't have an extra connection. Would I need three of these plugs? One for my Diectv box one for my modem/router and one for the computer?

Thanks

I have a question about these Homeplugs. What if your DSL has the modem and router all in one and you don't have an extra connection. Would I need three of these plugs? One for my Diectv box one for my modem/router and one for the computer?

Thanks

I assume you mean that you are out of connections on your router. In that case, you could use an ethernet switch. The HomePlug devices are mainly for use when you cannot run a cable although multiple HomePlugs can be used (the data sheet says up to 16) although it could get pricey. The HR21 has a built-in switch allowing you to connect another device to the second ethernet port.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)