Supreme Court ruled in favor of TV Networks

Dude, you really need to go breathe slowly into a paperbag for about 1 hour....

Why let this get to YOU so badly? Blow it off, it's a done deal and nothing you or I can do now will change it. You can only change YOUR reaction to it before you have a stroke...

Actually we can do something to change it. Congress has felt the public's heat on some issues and done a complete turn-around voting against or amendmening current law opposite to what the big contributors demand for their "payments" because the one thing politicians fear most of all is losing the next election. However, this issue is just not a passionate one for most, while the vast majority of the TV viewing public doesn't/didn't even know Aereo existed. FWIW, the Cable Cos, DirecTV, Dish are also disappointed they can't set up their own antenna farms.

While I am supportive of the Aereo service in concept, I've always had a problem (or felt it weakened their position) with Aereo charging a monthly fee to stream the locals--or not separating the cost to the consumer for streaming the locals live (a one time set-up charge), but only charging a monthly fee for the DVR service.

What's really interesting is that the lower courts (plural) have all ruled consistently that Aereo is NOT violating current copyright law, yet a 6-3 the Supreme "interprets" things quite the opposite. Law truly is a PHILOSOPHY, neither a science nor an art. Remember, this is the country with a Supreme Court who ruled that the forced interment of Japanese Americans was legal or NOT unconstitutional, yet every judge in our modern era who is up for appointment for the Supreme Court is always asked by the Senate Judiciary Committee about that legal ruling (or as the law refers to OPINIONS), and every judge goes into their lament of such a ruling and why they don't agree with it and see forced internment as utterly unconstitutional. The law is quite interesting.

Here is what I would like to see.

I see a New "Aereo" Slingbox coming out soon, which you can buy at Best Buy or online and send to your local Aereo POP It will plus into the existing Aereo Antenna system and will allow you reception of your locals via your Slingbox. Aereo will then charge a monthly hosting fee instead of the DVR fee they are charging now.

Since the Slingbox has already been ruled as being legal this would get around all this crap once and for all.
The slingbox is legal but the whole idea of in
Here is what I would like to see.

I see a New "Aereo" Slingbox coming out soon, which you can buy at Best Buy or online and send to your local Aereo POP It will plus into the existing Aereo Antenna system and will allow you reception of your locals via your Slingbox. Aereo will then charge a monthly hosting fee instead of the DVR fee they are charging now.

Since the Slingbox has already been ruled as being legal this would get around all this crap once and for all.

I do not know about that. I have no inside information but I suspect that eh court did what it did because it saw the existing aereo business model as a contrivance and I think they would see your suggestion the same way.

This could be a good thing for Aereo, actually. Now they can drop this whole silly premise of "providing (leasing) receiving equipment for individual subscribers" to skirt the Copyright (private vs. public performance) laws and simplify their head end. No longer do they need to provide individual and separate antennas. receivers, disk-based video recorders, and IP encoders, but can instead use a single receiver for each station's sub-channels and store that information for later transmission. This may be how they were operating all along, but now they can be transparent about it.

This should lower the costs to establish new markets as well. Like a cable provider, they would need to negotiate with the DMA's locals, but they don't have the overhead of maintaining the cable plant that a traditional Program Provider would have so they should be able to undercut the competition. The local stations should like having more eyeballs watching their advertisements (except during DVR playback, unless Aereo cuts a deal to eliminate commercial skips within 24-48 hours of broadcast as an olive branch to the NAB).

This could be a good thing for Aereo, actually. Now they can drop this whole silly premise of "providing (leasing) receiving equipment for individual subscribers" to skirt the Copyright (private vs. public performance) laws and simplify their head end. No longer do they need to provide individual and separate antennas. receivers, disk-based video recorders, and IP encoders, but can instead use a single receiver for each station's sub-channels and store that information for later transmission. This may be how they were operating all along, but now they can be transparent about it.

Actually they would only be able to eliminate all the antennas and go to a single one. They would still have to a single "virtual" DVR for each user that is under exclusive control of that user doing its own recordings to meet the requirements of the Cablevision case.

For all intent and purpose, aereo is dead.I'd be shocked if they try to come back.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Yep, they are the walking dead.

http://view.email.aereo.com/?j=fec7...265007a7d&jb=ffcf14&ju=fe9210787561017877&r=0

A Letter to Our Consumers: Standing Together for Innovation, Progress and Technology - An Update on Aereo
"The world hates change, yet it is the only thing that has brought progress." --Charles Kettering, inventor, entrepreneur, innovator & philanthropist

chet_320x219.jpg
A little over three years ago, our team embarked on a journey to improve the consumer television experience, using technology to create a smart, cloud-based television antenna consumers could use to access live over the air broadcast television.

On Wednesday, the United States Supreme Court reversed a lower court decision in favor of Aereo, dealing a massive setback to consumers.

As a result of that decision, our case has been returned to the lower Court. We have decided to pause our operations temporarily as we consult with the court and map out our next steps. You will be able to access your cloud-based antenna and DVR only until 11:30 a.m. ET today. All of our users will be refunded their last paid month. If you have questions about your account, please email support@aereo.com or tweet us @AereoSupport.

The spectrum that the broadcasters use to transmit over the air programming belongs to the American public and we believe you should have a right to access that live programming whether your antenna sits on the roof of your home, on top of your television or in the cloud.

On behalf of the entire team at Aereo, thank you for the outpouring of support. It has been staggering and we are so grateful for your emails, Tweets and Facebook posts. Keep your voices loud and sign up for updates at ProtectMyAntenna.org - our journey is far from done.

Yours truly,
ceo-signature.jpg

Chet Kanojia

Founder & CEO

TiVo is trying to make hay out of the decision (from an email):

As you may have heard this week on the news, the Supreme Court ruled that antenna-TV provider Aereo was in violation of the law. But don’t worry, we have you covered with the perfect solution if you are using an antenna.

The TiVo Roamio is the only DVR and streaming player in one. It records 4 shows at once and stores up to 500 hours of programming. It also delivers Netflix, Hulu Plus and YouTube and has a 2-week program guide. Even Matthew Moskovciak from CNET thinks it is the best over-the-air DVR http://www.cnet.com/products/tivo-roamio.

If you are interested in purchasing a TiVo Roamio DVR, now through July is the time, just go toTiVo.com use promo code “Antenna” at check out and get $50 off.

I think the article takes it too broadly just to suggest something possibly controversial, which would be an implied license to redistribute all content that a company already has the rights for online because of the compulsory license granted to cable companies or whatever.

I disagree, and I'm not sure anyone wants to be on the nfl's bad side come contract renewals, or if they really want to test 'similar to cable' meaning 'identical to cable' against an opponent who so fervently protects it's property.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

The world hates change, yet it is the only thing that has brought progress." --Charles Kettering, inventor, entrepreneur, innovator & philanthropist
chet_320x219.jpg
A little over three years ago, our team embarked on a journey to improve the consumer television experience, using technology to create a smart, cloud-based television antenna consumers could use to access live over the air broadcast television.

On Wednesday, the United States Supreme Court reversed a lower court decision in favor of Aereo, dealing a massive setback to consumers.

As a result of that decision, our case has been returned to the lower Court. We have decided to pause our operations temporarily as we consult with the court and map out our next steps. You will be able to access your cloud-based antenna and DVR only until 11:30 a.m. ET today. All of our users will be refunded their last paid month. If you have questions about your account, please email support@aereo.com or tweet us @AereoSupport.

The spectrum that the broadcasters use to transmit over the air programming belongs to the American public and we believe you should have a right to access that live programming whether your antenna sits on the roof of your home, on top of your television or in the cloud.

On behalf of the entire team at Aereo, thank you for the outpouring of support. It has been staggering and we are so grateful for your emails, Tweets and Facebook posts. Keep your voices loud and sign up for updates at ProtectMyAntenna.org - our journey is far from done.

Yours truly,
ceo-signature.jpg

Chet Kanojia

The investment in programming that broadcasters display on that spectrum is protected. They're a paid service providing access to those signals, just as DirecTV provides me mine. Really as simple as that.

Don they are out of touch, but what's worse, is where all being screwed, no it must be your computer or your service
I don't get that. How is the consumer screwed out of Aereo not being able to asterisk their way around infringing on another's property to distribute it and charge for the service?

More to the point, SCOTUS ruled based on the intent of the Congressional legislation. The technology now is new, but based on their extrapolation, Congress would have meant for this loophole to be covered as well. SCOTUS is going by decades old legislation.

The Supreme Court said that the intent of the law, passed long before the internet was everywhere was that companies that delivered local channels to a customer were a cable companies. If they using the internet as a pipeline vs cable, phone lines, or fiber did not make a difference, if you were a third party you were acting as a cable company and had to follow the same rules. That is essentially what the decision said.

Remember cable/sat/etc exists because of an exemption from copyright. The law gives a copyright exception to the retransmission of OTA signals by cable companies not to be considered a public performance provided the cable company gets permission from the local station.

Aereo now wants to be an internet cable company: http://online.wsj.com/articles/aere...e-system-1404963150?mod=WSJ_hps_sections_tech

Probably a paid article now, but will be available in other places soon I am sure for free. Essentially Aereo wants to be a cable company now that the Supreme Court said it was one and license the locals just like a cable company.

The interesting part of the article:

n its letter, Aereo argued that the Supreme Court effectively overturned an earlier judicial decision that had prevented online video companies from obtaining compulsory licenses. "The Supreme Court has announced a new and different rule governing Aereo's operations…after the Supreme Court's decision, Aereo is a cable system with regard to those transmissions." Aereo said it was proceeding to file the paperwork required to pay copyright fees.

Aereo isn't the only online streaming company making this argument in the wake of the Supreme Court's decision. FilmOn, another company with the capability to stream broadcast channels online that has been sued by broadcasters, said it also was seeking to be classified as a cable system.

If either Aereo or FilmOn were to get a compulsory license to stream broadcast content live, it would have a profound impact on the future of television online, removing one of the largest hurdles keeping the most popular television from being available live on people's smartphones and tablets, where viewers are increasingly spending their time. While networks and local TV stations have been working on mobile apps through a strategy called "TV Everywhere," they have been slow to roll out.

Reactions: Scott Greczkowski

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)