Suspended Account; All Receivers dead. How should I handle?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

colebert

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 18, 2005
I'm a fair-weather D*/NFL ST fan. I signed up last fall for D* and Sunday Ticket and activated my own equipment (TS160) as well as got the cheapie SD box as a second receiver. My committment was for 2 years.

After the Super Bowl, I suspended my account with the plan to get back for the pre-season. Well, its almost time...

HOWEVER, I pulled my old (previously working) TS160 out of the closet and its truly dead. My junky SD box died in January. So now I have no working receivers, a suspended account, and NFL season rapidly approaching. What to do...?

I need two HD receivers and I would like to avoid signing a new 2yr committment.

What is my best bet?

I called D* and told them what my situation was. I asked if I bought two TS160s off ebay would that trigger a new 2yr committment. They said no. Then yes. Then maybe. Then to read the agreement myself and find out. WTF?!

Anyone actually have any experience with activating used receivers on a current account? Will it trigger a new 2yr?

Because if it does, I think I might just opt for the HD-DVR Sunday ticket promo and buy just one extra HD receiver.

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:
Tate
Its only been 5 months...As long as he was in a contract, asx its suspended his contract freezes. So if he had say 14 months left in Feb when he suspended, when he turns it back up he's still at 14 months

Reactions: Jvfan57
Iceberg said:
Tate
Its only been 5 months...As long as he was in a contract, asx its suspended his contract freezes. So if he had say 14 months left in Feb when he suspended, when he turns it back up he's still at 14 months

:up gottcha.

I did not know they would do that. I thought it had to be consecutive.

nope.

Stepdad had an account with Direct and was in a 1yr agreement and his contract ended up being about 15 months after he suspended it for a couple months

putting it on suspension doesnt run the contract...

colebert said:
I'm a fair-weather D*/NFL ST fan. I signed up last fall for D* and Sunday Ticket and activated my own equipment (TS160) as well as got the cheapie SD box as a second receiver. My committment was for 2 years.

After the Super Bowl, I suspended my account with the plan to get back for the pre-season. Well, its almost time...

HOWEVER, I pulled my old (previously working) TS160 out of the closet and its truly dead. My junky SD box died in January. So now I have no working receivers, a suspended account, and NFL season rapidly approaching. What to do...?

I need two HD receivers and I would like to avoid signing a new 2yr committment.

What is my best bet?

I called D* and told them what my situation was. I asked if I bought two TS160s off ebay would that trigger a new 2yr committment. They said no. Then yes. Then maybe. Then to read the agreement myself and find out. WTF?!

Anyone actually have any experience with activating used receivers on a current account? Will it trigger a new 2yr?

Because if it does, I think I might just opt for the HD-DVR Sunday ticket promo and buy just one extra HD receiver.

Any advice appreciated.

They should activate it without a new 2 YR I have added receiver rs without changing my commitment.

I have a Samsung 360 that I bought new in Feb 05 but I took the free upgrade to the H20 If you want PM me and I will make a deal with you. It is not MPEG4 so you wont get locals in HD. Unless of course you are in the NY or LA markets.

actually the commitment continues while in suspend... doesn't seem right. but trust me. have a csr read you the database entry word for word.

If you are going on vacation you can suspend it also. Not sure for how long of a period. It used to be a 30 day minimum, but now the web site just says:
Going on Vacation
Call us at 1–800–531–5000 to learn about temporarily suspending your service.

I have done that in the past, for the 30 day period, will try it this year for two weeks. See if that can be done. But like others said the commitment clock stops and doesn't start again until you start it again.

i was able to suspend my account for 6 months (while still under contract) because i had to move into a larger handicapped accessible apartment to accomodate my then new electric wheelchair. relocating the dish would have been a nightmare and also i didn't want to add to the contract by using the movers agreement.

i ended up cancelling because i got tired of the constant lies from csr's.

IANAL, but depending on your state, you have a right to return and break agreement within a certain time, some are 10 days, some 15, some 30, etc, here it's called the lemon law, so if it were me, I would go ahead and get 2 leased Hd20s from them (thus they would be covered for replacment in case this happened again), than once activated, I would go on the site, well before the lemon law time limit, and check if there is a 2yr agreement added, if so, I would call and try to get it removed, and if they refused, I would use the lemon law send their equipment back and find an alternative, of course if there is no commit added, you're in like Flynn.

damaged said:
IANAL, but depending on your state, you have a right to return and break agreement within a certain time, some are 10 days, some 15, some 30, etc, here it's called the lemon law, so if it were me, I would go ahead and get 2 leased Hd20s from them (thus they would be covered for replacment in case this happened again), than once activated, I would go on the site, well before the lemon law time limit, and check if there is a 2yr agreement added, if so, I would call and try to get it removed, and if they refused, I would use the lemon law send their equipment back and find an alternative, of course if there is no commit added, you're in like Flynn.

Here in Florida, the Lemon Law pertains to the purchase of defective Automobiles, nothing to do with electronics.
The web site on it: http://www.800helpfla.com/lemonlaw.html

(I chose my handle when I was a CSR; I no longer work for DTV)

If you buy a used receiver and a) use an access card that's already associated with your account, or b) purchase a new access card for $20, then there is no contract. If you use the same access card as a dead receiver it will be flagged as 'owned' in the database; if you buy a new access card, make sure they transfer you to the access card distribution folks to flag the 'new' receiver as owned. This step is the important one.

This information is accurate as of the end of May. I'm sorry the other CSRs were such morons.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)