Svenghoolie airing Green Hornet

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dee_Ann

Angry consumer!
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Texas
Just saw a promo on MeTV for St. Patrick's day, when ever that is. Sven is running 8 episodes of The Green Hornet that day. I suspect this will open the door to the show becoming a regular on the network, perhaps in the next quarter?

I remember my Dad used to watch that show when I was little, mom hated it because it was violence. I saw a few of them I guess back then since Dad had it on. I always thought the main dude was kinda hot.. I guess he dropped off the screen after that show, I can't recall ever seeing him again.. What a shame..

Well, more corny shows on the way! Can't ever have too many corny shows as far as I'm concerned!

Svenghoolie is my hero as he acknowledges his predecessors at the beginning of his show. Ernie Anderson "Ghoulardi" did a similar bit in Cleveland in the 1960's and Seven shows a brief glimpse of him every week.

Here is a C/P from Wickopedia.

From 1963 to 1966, Anderson presented the program under the alter ego of Ghoulardi, a hipster that defied the common perception of a horror host. While this version of Shock Theater also featured grade "B" science fiction and horror movies, Ghoulardi openly mocked and berated said films, and spoke in an accent-laden beatnik slang. Often, comedic sound effects or music would be inserted in place of the movie's audio track. Occasionally, Ghoulardi would even insert himself into a film and appear to run from the monster, using a chroma key system that WJW normally utilized for art cards. He loved firecrackers (which at the time were against the law in Ohio) and started by blowing up apples and leftovers and graduated to blowing up model cars, statues and items sent in by viewers.

Ghoulardi.png

Just saw a promo on MeTV for St. Patrick's day, when ever that is. Sven is running 8 episodes of The Green Hornet that day. I suspect this will open the door to the show becoming a regular on the network, perhaps in the next quarter?

I remember my Dad used to watch that show when I was little, mom hated it because it was violence. I saw a few of them I guess back then since Dad had it on. I always thought the main dude was kinda hot.. I guess he dropped off the screen after that show, I can't recall ever seeing him again.. What a shame..

Well, more corny shows on the way! Can't ever have too many corny shows as far as I'm concerned!

Green Hornet is a show that my mom wouldn't let us kids watch. No Star Trek either.

The Hornet's butt-kicking partner Kato on the original old 60s TV series was played by Bruce Lee. He died young.

Last edited:
there was a series b4 the 60's back in the 30's of the green hornet.... i think they are called "serial movies"

Am i wrong here? Isnt svenghoolie supposted to be airing classic horror flicks!Seems lately that isnt the case.I like abbot and costello and the green hornet but wish the show go back to the classic horror,monster movies.

Svenghoolie is my hero as he acknowledges his predecessors at the beginning of his show. Ernie Anderson "Ghoulardi" did a similar bit in Cleveland in the 1960's and Seven shows a brief glimpse of him every week.

Here is a C/P from Wickopedia.

From 1963 to 1966, Anderson presented the program under the alter ego of Ghoulardi, a hipster that defied the common perception of a horror host. While this version of Shock Theater also featured grade "B" science fiction and horror movies, Ghoulardi openly mocked and berated said films, and spoke in an accent-laden beatnik slang. Often, comedic sound effects or music would be inserted in place of the movie's audio track. Occasionally, Ghoulardi would even insert himself into a film and appear to run from the monster, using a chroma key system that WJW normally utilized for art cards. He loved firecrackers (which at the time were against the law in Ohio) and started by blowing up apples and leftovers and graduated to blowing up model cars, statues and items sent in by viewers.

Ghoulardi.png

The "Inserting himself into Pictures" was the idea of WJW-TV Producer-Engineer "Big Chuck" Schodowski. who also was reluctantly pushed by Anderson into doing occasional skits..This eventually led to Chuck taking over the show with Bob "Hoolihan The Weatherman" Wells once Ernie Anderson left in late 1966. The Newly named "Hoolihan and Big Chuck Show" (Later renamed Big Chuck and Lil John) was on WJW weekly until June 2007..Nearly 41 years..In September 2011 the show was revived as a half-hour Saturday skits only show..

The Newly named "Hoolihan and Big Chuck Show" (Later renamed Big Chuck and Lil John) was on WJW weekly until June 2007..Nearly 41 years..In September 2011 the show was revived as a half-hour Saturday skits only show..

Tim,

Thanks for the update.
I haven't seen the show since 1971 when I left Cleveland to serve in the U.S. Air Force. They planted me in Michigan and I stayed since then.

"Give me a close up on Camera 4" :)

Excuse my ignorance, but what is this Svenghoolie thing. I sure would like to see some of the Green Hornet episodes, I saw a couple when I was very little, and do not remember them too well.

What satellite will be carrying these showing of the Green Hornet, and at what time and day.

Thank You.

Just noticed that it will be showing on St Patrick day on Me Tv, but still do not know the time of showing.

Last edited:
Svengoolie is usually on Saturday Nights 10-Midnight ET..He s sort of throwback to the old local TV Horror Hosts..He usually shows Grade B Horror Flicks. The Green Hornet Marathon is 6-10 ET on the 17th followed by the usual Svengoolie Movie..

BigChuckLittleJohn3.jpgliljohn.jpg
Tim,

Thanks for the update.
I haven't seen the show since 1971 when I left Cleveland to serve in the U.S. Air Force. They planted me in Michigan and I stayed since then.

"Give me a close up on Camera 4" :)

You missed a lot..Big Chuck estimates they produced over 2000 skits since 1966..Lil John is John Rinaldi, a Cleveland Area Jeweler who had acted in skits since 1970. he became co-host in 1979 with Big Chuck..

Here is a Fan-based Big Chuck and Lil John website, which will tell you more than you'd ever want to know, including the Ghoulardi days..

big chuck and lil john - big chuck and little john

Includes a place to buy DVD's and other memorabilia..

The Pictures above are Big Chuck and Lil John posing with me and my wife at the 2008 Ghoulardifest..Which is where I met them for the first time..They (and Bob Wells) are among the most approachable, friendly "TV People" You'd ever want to meet..Great with fans..

there was a series b4 the 60's back in the 30's of the green hornet.... i think they are called "serial movies"

Once upon a time, and I can't remember for sure when or where, but I think it was on our old C-band dish in the 80's or maybe the 90's, there was a channel called "Good Times TV" that showed all sorts of really tripped out old stuff.
That was where I saw the ORIGINAL Batman show.

Batserial_amazworld13_p28.jpg

He ran around in some lumbering beast of a 30's model car and used a revolver pistol to shoot it out with bad guys!
My dad said he remembered those from the theater when he was a kid, back before they had TV.
I saw another theater serial that was sort of like Indiana Jones too..

What really flipped me out was they were always airing old Army OSS training films of guys in Lone Ranger type masks blowing stuff up and showing how to kill people and spy on bad guys.
I couldn't believe they aired that stuff! :eek:

Good Times TV was pretty much similar to White Springs TV in content and quality with the exception that they ran things even more obscure and oddball than White Springs..

But yeah, Dad gave me the run down on old theater serials.

And I remember when I was little, in the 60's, that they would run lots of cartoons at the theater too..

I don't mind when they air special programming from time to time as long as they don't skip episodes of the regular shows airing in sequence. Last time, I noticed they skipped an episode of Lost In Space I was looking forward to in December. Probably not even noticeable on shows that do not have cliff hanger endings.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)