Swapped out QPH-031 for DMX521

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JohninSD

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 7, 2009
San Diego
Since there are, to my knowledge, no longer any FTA circular polarized signals I changed my LNBF back to the original one I had purchased with my dish, a WS9036. I removed the now unnecessary Diseqc switch at the same time. I tuned in the Create channel on 125W prior to making the switch and saw Q of 41 and S of 50. After the switch I see a Q of 50 and S of 64. I also get some channels now that I couldn't get before. The Q does not improve when I push or pull on the dish and I didn't have to make any adjustments to the elevation setting. The motor is pretty well aligned I think as it goes right to each satellite using the USALS option. BTW, this is all with my Sonicview 8000HD.

So I theorize that the combination of the slightly better rated (according to the manufacturer's numbers) LNBF and removal of the switch (there has to be SOME signal loss in any switch) equates to better performance of my system. The weight of the QPH-031 may also have caused it to tilt in the plastic mount but I'm done investigating for now.

Does anyone have any reason to use a circular LNBF for FTA any more?

John

occasionally there is FTA on circular signals, they come and go and are not always listed in the PMT (hidden pids they are sometimes called)

Status
Please reply by conversation.