Status
Please reply by conversation.

phlatwound

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 25, 2007
Goosapeak Junction
Nothing real exciting here, just wanted to show you all my first attempt at receiving Hispasat @ 30W from my location in Southwest Missouri (aka Hillbillistan).

Dishpointer gave me an elevation of 12.2 degrees, the lowest elevation I have attempted from here.

I decided to set my trusty 5 gallon bucket of concrete w/1 5/8" steel pipe out beside our garden in hopes of getting good LOS, not sure how high over the trees and building I was looking but it was good enough.

Didn't attempt to plumb the bucket/pipe, just threw it down on a "level" spot, and adjusted the dish elevation adjuster as low as it would go, it was showing about 10 degrees on the scale.

After hooking up the receiver and skewing the LNBF (approximately 50 degrees), with a little azimuth sweep I had acquired signal in less than a minute, I think the "better to be lucky than good" rule applied that day. ;)

Picked up 5 transponders on a blind scan:

11883 V 27500 66%
11970 H 27500 63%
12052 V 27499 66%
12131 H 27500 66-67%
12172 H 27500 66%

I tried for a few minutes to bring these Q levels up by all the usual methods but that was all I could get.

My equipment:

90 cm BJU offset dish
Coolsat 6000
Techsat Tracker II LNBF

Attachments

• Sat Hispasat JBU dish May-2010c.JPG
    Sat Hispasat JBU dish May-2010c.JPG
    291.6 KB · Views: 302
  • Sat Hispasat JBU dish May-2010b.JPG
    Sat Hispasat JBU dish May-2010b.JPG
    313.4 KB · Views: 314
  • Sat Hispasat JBU dish May-2010d.JPG
    Sat Hispasat JBU dish May-2010d.JPG
    318.7 KB · Views: 308
kudos:

Love the red bucket, red LNB, and the long elevation screw adjuster. - :up

AND, it's low enough you can work on it while sitting down.
Now, THAT's what I call "arm chair FTAing" ! - :cool:

I guess this is it. You may probably missing
11935 V 7500 3/4
11940 V 7500 3/4
Good Job!

Love the red bucket, red LNB, and the long elevation screw adjuster. - :up

AND, it's low enough you can work on it while sitting down.
Now, THAT's what I call "arm chair FTAing" ! - :cool:

Thanks Anole, all I was missing was the big dumb red dog that usually "assists" me. Pretty sure he was laying on the back porch protecting us from the flocks of hummingbirds that attack our feeders there. ;)

My wife was actually going to pitch that fine FTA chair, but I rescued it! :eek:

I guess this is it. You may probably missing
11935 V 7500 3/4
11940 V 7500 3/4
Good Job!

Thanks carlos, I remember seeing one of those 7500 SR tps in the list and should have tried to scan it in manually. I tried my blind scan twice and got the same thing both times.

Proud of you son! My house is literally one lot away from an easy clear shot at 30W. Wonder if I should ask my neighbor if I can mount a dish on top of his roof?

Great job Phlat! My elevation here is 23.3 so I'm gonna try this again over the weekend. (I think I found a spot that I can aim just over the trees! ) :D:up

Nice setup Phlat!

I´m also getting:

12158 v 2348
12173 v 2222
12155 v 2222

These come in weaker but my dish is 30" so that could make a difference

I´m located at 100° w so my dish is pointing to the ground.

You´ll find interesting movies on the cuban channels and other american series on the kuwait channels.

You can find their weekly programming here (in spanish)

Cartelera de la Televisión Cubana - Juventud Rebelde - Diario de la juventud cubana

I'd like to see some of you guys toy with inverting your dish (upside down) if the dish elevation bracket limits you. :) It would be interesting to see how it works for you guys out there on the eastern side. I can go as low as 58W with my DG380 motorized 90cm dish here in So Cal, I haven't tried anything lower yet.

on the CS6000 the numbers for those TP you got should be around 91-93 here in toronto so there is a lot of room to improve. BTW 11970 H 27500 is it a typo? . the only 2 H TP's I remember are the 12132 Arabic channels and 12172 Overon Mux.

Canal 21 on 12169 V with very low symbol rate should tell you if your system is optimally aligned for cross-polarisation since 12172 H is so strong that makes it hard to lock to canal 21 vertical signal.

Do not watch too much cuban tv , Castro might brainwashed you like me , lol.

Well maybe now I'll have to try 30W again someday. I tried once shooting around some of the neighbors trees not much luck. My elevation is somewhere around 18 or so. Looks like pretty much straight ahead in front of me....Blind

Proud of you son! My house is literally one lot away from an easy clear shot at 30W. Wonder if I should ask my neighbor if I can mount a dish on top of his roof?

Thanks, toucan-man. Might I suggest a dual-ouput LNBF and a coax drop into your neighbors' house to sweeten the pot for use of his roof? ;)

Great job Phlat! My elevation here is 23.3 so I'm gonna try this again over the weekend. (I think I found a spot that I can aim just over the trees! ) :D:up

Thanks euro, I'm glad you found my efforts inspiring!

Even if it's because you may think "if that goober Phlat can do it, ANYBODY should be able to! :D

Great Job!

Thank you, nel. :)

Nice setup Phlat!

I´m also getting:

12158 v 2348
12173 v 2222
12155 v 2222

These come in weaker but my dish is 30" so that could make a difference

I´m located at 100° w so my dish is pointing to the ground.

You´ll find interesting movies on the cuban channels and other american series on the kuwait channels.

You can find their weekly programming here (in spanish)

Cartelera de la Televisión Cubana - Juventud Rebelde - Diario de la juventud cubana

Thanks for that info, jogon, I hope to setup a 1.2m fixed dish someday just for 30W. To get it anywhere near my daish farm is going to take some tree cutting, or installation on my roof or tower. :)

That's EXACTLY my Longitude here in Arkansas! On those pictures, is that the elevation that is required to get 30W?

pjcl, I misspoke on my longitude earlier, I am actually at about 93.7W (and 37.1N) Approximately where are you located in the Natural State?

Outstanding! Gives me an idea of what I can do with that short piece of pipe I found last week.

Thanks, turbo. Just take some balin' wire and lash the pipe to that bandicoot hacienda and you'll be in business! :D

I'd like to see some of you guys toy with inverting your dish (upside down) if the dish elevation bracket limits you. :) It would be interesting to see how it works for you guys out there on the eastern side. I can go as low as 58W with my DG380 motorized 90cm dish here in So Cal, I haven't tried anything lower yet.

I'd also like to see that McG. Some dishes are a little easier to invert, that BJU dish has a pivot bolt that interferes, and I have seen others that have some metal tabs that get in the way, no step for a stepper though. ;)
I guess the dish could just be inverted on the mounting bracket to avoid the issues I mentioned.

It's probably been mentioned by others but in a recent thread Mike Kohl made a good observation (which I hadn't considered) about avoiding some ground-based interference at low-elevation look angles by inverting the dish.

on the CS6000 the numbers for those TP you got should be around 91-93 here in toronto so there is a lot of room to improve. BTW 11970 H 27500 is it a typo? . the only 2 H TP's I remember are the 12132 Arabic channels and 12172 Overon Mux.

Canal 21 on 12169 V with very low symbol rate should tell you if your system is optimally aligned for cross-polarisation since 12172 H is so strong that makes it hard to lock to canal 21 vertical signal.

Do not watch too much cuban tv , Castro might brainwashed you like me , lol.

Thanks for that info hd fan. I must have a different firmware in my CS6000, I think 85% is the max signal I have ever seen, and that was on tps that would register near 100% on a Visionsat.

That 11970 H 27500 may well have been a typo, can't find my notes now so there's no telling where I got that from. :)

Well maybe now I'll have to try 30W again someday. I tried once shooting around some of the neighbors trees not much luck. My elevation is somewhere around 18 or so. Looks like pretty much straight ahead in front of me....Blind

Give it a shot, Blind. I meant to try it before the leaves got on this spring but never had time.

I Love that setup. EXELENTE!!!!

Thanks, sathen.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts