Swapping a Joey for a Hopper

TechWriter

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
I currently have a Hopper and two Joeys. I want to add a second Hopper by replacing one of my Joeys. Is it as simple as just swapping a Joey for the new Hopper?

No. If the Joey is on a client port of the node, you must switch the Joey line from a client port to a host port before connecting the Hopper, provided you already have a Duo Node. If you have a Solo Node, you'll need a Duo Node along with another line from the dish going to the node. If your Joey line is on a tap, you will need to get it hooked to a host port somehow. The Hopper also requires RG-6, so if you are using any RG59 lines for the Joey they will need to be replaced. Proper compression connectors and 3GHz-rated barrels will also be required for any splices. Preferably, the less splices/barrels the better.

No. If the Joey is on a client port of the node, you must switch the Joey line from a client port to a host port before connecting the Hopper, provided you already have a Duo Node. If you have a Solo Node, you'll need a Duo Node along with another line from the dish going to the node. If your Joey line is on a tap, you will need to get it hooked to a host port somehow. The Hopper also requires RG-6, so if you are using any RG59 lines for the Joey they will need to be replaced. Proper compression connectors and 3GHz-rated barrels will also be required for any splices. Preferably, the less splices/barrels the better.
Yep, I think I have the wiring down -- http://rvseniormoments.files.wordpr...vs_two_hoppers_joey_single_network_hdhdhd.pdf

So if the wiring is ok, is it just a matter of a simple swap out?

The second tap, the one with the terminating resistor, is not needed, no, and is just there for future expansion?
I didn't want to use a barrel connector because it'll be easier to swap between portable & roof antennas with Taps because I can screw them down -- it's just a neatness thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)