ViP612 help

moon_man99

Original poster
Jan 14, 2014
Oregon
Ok so I have recently acquired a vip612 replacement for a 522. Unplug the old, hook up the new and now only have 1/2 the channels I had before the swap. Original dish never moved. The dish currently in place is a 500. I know the 612 is a HD receiver but I do not currently subscribe to HD, so it shouldn't matter that it is a 500 dish or does it. Just curious on your thoughts. I'm thinking a 1000.2 dish or am I just waiting money? Thank you for your input.

Did you call and activate and ensure you had a current card?

Can't just pull the card for one and insert into the other. Or did your old unit even have a card?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

If you already called and activated your 612, here's one more thing to consider. The 612 by default will try to tune HD channels. If there is no such channel because you are missing 129, or because you don't subscribe to HD, then this might make the SD channels hidden until you turn off this feature.

My advice: get HDFFL before it's gone, and get a 1000.x antenna.

Everything was activated the way it was meant to and new card came with new receiver. Channels like TBS or Comedy Central that I had 2 days ago I cannot get now, receiver says complete signal loss (015) or something to the effect of partial loss (couldn't reproduce at this time) but nothing outside has changed. Just wondering if newer dish would be the fix or is there other issues somewhere.

A 500 dish is not going to get all three WA satellites, nor will it get the two most important EA satellites well.

Which arc are you on?

I did not save the results from the switch test. Says it detected less than last time so it made me nervous and I said no. Should I have said yes? I am on western arc.

You should have said yes. The standard 500 should work fine for SD-only when pointed at 110/119. Run a check switch and save if you are receiving 119/110 on both tuners. The 612 may also hide SD channels, restore them by changing the guide settings (MENU - 8 - 1.)

As recommended by other posters you should get a 1000.2 or 1000.4 and upgrade to HD FREE FOR LIFE before you no longer have the option.

Well don't I feel silly. That worked like you all said. I will get the 1000.2 here in the near future. Thank you all for the help!

Welcome to Satellite Guys! Just a quick tip if you put your general location in your user profile it will make it easier for people to help you with these types of problems. If not, at least mention it in your post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts