Swapping Buds

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

delawareneck

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
Lower Delaware
I picked up my used BUD today. I want to swap it with the old one. Is there a certain procedure I should follow to make setting up the new one easier?

I was thinking of hooking up the old Bud to the reciever and pointing it all the way west and checking the position with a compass. Then, set the new one up on the pole, hook it up and make sure the actuator has it all the way west. I would then check it with the compass, make any adjustments and lock down when it's close.

Is there any threads here on how to set up a Bud?

Thanks

If the new bud will fit in the old bud's mount just swap dishes. You can have 3 or 4 friends help you lift just the dish out off the mount and set the other one in.

First of all, are there places on the dish where an inclinometer can detect the degrees 1) on the polar mount and 2) on the dish itself. ?

Secondly can you reliably get zenith by some means?

Once those are set as close to the right settings for your latitude, you find the due south satellite for your longitude. If the satellite is a little off of your longitude in the east or west direction , a few clicks in that direction would be good.

Then a meter or a beep on scan receiver should help you aim that dish. I use a beep on scan receiver with wireless headphones. Never used a meter.

You basicaly leave the declination angle as set, usually around 5 degrees, and have it so the dish can spin on its mast and move up and down. You lock everything in when the meter gives the strongest signal, or your beep oon scan receiver gives the fastest, highest pitched beeps.

I just re aimed my dish this past weekend, there you go and hope it helps

I marked the pole where the old Bud was and set the new one in the same spot. They both had the same mounting bracket. I used the old reciever to move the dish and my Viewsat to check for signal quality. I had S but no Q going back and forth from east to west. I can put an inclinometer in the center of the dish. When I find due south, is there a bird there.

75.0 Brazilsat seems closest to due south. The elevation is 45.3 according to Dishpointer.c0m. If I put an inclinometer in the center of the dish and set it to 45.3 I should be abl to get that bird.

try to find horizons 2 @74.0 w it is a ku sat and the ohio station comes in good tp 11734 H sr 6616
go lyngsat.com go to Frequencies: 61°W-160 America here you will find the sat and location tp , sr and polarity learn how to read this site you will use it alot i still use it today. And sat 75.0 Brazilsat there is not much at all to get a test signal out of if dish is one degree off you can adjust

You go to lyngsat. You find the satellite that is closest to your longitude, which I assume you know. You find a C-band transponder that is active that you can receive - usually one that has an "F" in it meaning free.

You set your receiver for that exact transponder, H or V, symbol rate and that percentage setting. Your declination is set around 5 degrees so leave that alone.

You have one of three systems 1) a meter 2) a little tv and receiver out by the dish or 3) a beep on scan receiver setup with wireless RF headphones.

If you have the same mount as before, you know how many clicks to a degree there are in your dish mover, so if your satellite is off your longitude by a degree or two or some fraction, you click your mover in that direction by that degree or two.

Then, with whatever setup you have, with your receiver or meter set to the active transponder, you smoothly and slowly spin the dish on its mast until you get a picture or a signal. Once you get the highest signal from the spin, you lock the mount in on the mast. Then you gently lift up and down until you get the best signal, being careful not to stand in front of the dish . When you get the strongest signal, you lock it in that elevation.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)