Swapping SD receiver with HD receiver

Hatigol

Original poster
Feb 24, 2013
I am a novice to AVR setup, so seeking help.

I have Dish TV as my cable provider with no long term contract. I'd like to upgrade to swap my SD receiver for a HD receiver.

This is my current setup:
  • I have Dish SD receiver (Duo 322) with 2 "Satellite in" and 2 outputs.
  • First output:
    • The RCA-type output connects to my Denon AVR 1912.
    • The Denon 1912 AVR is connected to my HD Plasma TV (TV1)
  • Second output:
    • The TV Set out (TV CH 3-4 Out) connects over coax cable to my second HD LCD TV (TV2)

My goal is to watch programs in HD in my TV1.

This is what I am planning to do:
1. I plan to get either one of Duo ViP 222k or DuoDVR ViP 722k (for the DVR functionality).
2. Swap the Duo 322 for the Duo 222k (or 722k); Connect the HDMI out from my Duo ViP 222k (or 722k) to the AVR receiver and use the In-home distribution output for the second TV.
3. Call Dish TV to enable HD.

My questions:
  1. Will this work? Are there steps I am missing?
  2. What about the smart card? Will my 322 smart card work for the 222k (or 722k)
  3. I have an universal remote MX 350. Would this require reprogramming? Think so but want to confirm.
  4. I am assuming I'll paying additional $$ to get HD programming every month.
  5. Should I get my 222k (or 722k) through Dish TV or just buy it in the open market?
  6. If I program my universal remote MX350 to the 722k receiver, I should be able to use the universal remote for my DVR controls?
  7. Anything else I am missing?

I am a novice to AVR setup and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

1. yes it would work. You will have to upgrade the dish to a D1000.2 (also known as a western arc dish...it sees 110, 119 and 129)
2. the new receiver has a card in it. Dish will activate the new card and remove the old receiver off your account
3. it should
4. its $10 a month but they still offer the HD for free if you have auto pay/paperless and agree to a 2 year agreement
5. if you buy it there would be no contract extention. But if you dont mind a 2 year agreement speak to DIRT (dish internet response team...their names are in red on the front page of the site) and they might be abel to get ya a deal
6. if you go with the 722 its a $7 DVR fee per month

me personally...go with the 722 over the 222

I see a few options:

1. Go with a 222, pretty much a drop in replacement for the 322 if he has the correct dish
2. Go with a 722, gives him HD on TV1 and SD on TV2 and DVR, but costs extra $7/month DVR fee
3. Go with 2 211s, give HD on both TV1 & TV2, DVR for one time $40, then costs the same as a 722 with $7 extra box fee instead of the DVR fee
4. Go with Hopper/Joey, HD on both TVs but $10/month extra DVR fee.

Of course if you go with 2 year commit with hopper/joey upgrade they will take care of the wiring and Dish, since already in contract could go HD for life with the same 2 year commitment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts