swapping TV1 and TV2 on 522

janedavid

Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
Hi-
When the sat installer hooked up our 522, he said the upstairs TV was too old to set as TV2 because he couldn't get it to tune a high enough channel for the TV2 output (he didn't look at the manual to see how to view higher channels). So he put the 522 up there and ran the TV2 output to the family room set.

Wiring:
Satellite coax to Holland DPD2 ("Sat")
Existing coax run to bedroom hooked up to "In/Out" (feeding 522 and TV1 there)
New coax run to family room hooked up to "VHF/UHF" (feeding TV2)--I guess the sat installer didn't want to use the existing coax run for some reason

Now, we need the 522 downstairs to get S-video feed from the 522 to a new TV there, and we can't run a long S-video from upstairs to downstairs. (Plus I hate having the 522 sitting on top of the TV on top of our dresser!) So I carefully marked all cable ins/outs and moved the box downstairs. I also swapped the "In/Out" and "VHF/UHF" cables outside. Now the TV1 operates perfectly, but we can't get the signal to run to the upstairs old TV. I am able to tune it to Ch 73 which is what the 522/TV2 is modulated to, but just get snow.

Did I swap something over incorrectly? Sorry if this is confusing.
Jane

go to the goodwill store and find an old VCR for five bucks that has a cable-compatible tuner. Use that, tuned to whatever cable channel you prefer, and it will output channel 3 or 4 for the TV.

Bad Installs

It's been a little over 18 months now, but my initial installer did the exact same thing. At first I protested, but he assured me that I wouldn't notice the difference. Obviously that's a load of hooey. So I called Dish back and they sent a new installer who did it right. He put the box by TV1 and properly set up TV2. If you're still within a reasonable time period, I think you're well within your rights to call your installer (or Dish directly) back so they can do the install just as you want it.

I should mention I did have the luxury of getting in when SBC/Dish were ramping up their relationship, and they were very sensitive to issues with bad installs and customer service... so they did bend over backwards to help me. Not that they shouldn't do that ALL the time... but you know what I mean.

Last edited:
go into the menu on the 522 goto the modulator setup. You can get there by hitting menu 6-1-5. Change tv2 from cable to air. then change the challe to 21. See if yor old tv will pick that up.

yeah--works great!

Tried changing the modulation first to air 21, but got picture with static. Tried using a variety of other channels with the same results.

Dug out the old VCR and after lots of scratching my head to remember how the darned thing works, we've now got great picture upstairs again.

I used the VCR on 69, set it to VCR, set TV to Ch 3. Air/cable button on old TV didn't make any difference set either way.

Thanks so much--you guys are awesome!

Jane

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts