sweet...tampabay area,analog channels converted into all digital :)

This is actually quite funny....had about a 90 minute conversation with some key tech people at BHN today.

On the all digital of the SD Analog channels, people have been bitching like crazy

1) Why does it take longer to change channels?

2) People have a TV in the kitchen with no STB. Kitchen TV audio is 5 seconds ahead of TV audio in the family room - driving them crazy. They are actually delaying the analog programming now to try to match it to the digital channel.

As they said, you can't make anyone happy these days.

I said, then make me happy and turn them all off analog, make them all digital and give me full rate HDTV on all channels :D

HDTV ya I had that problem to when we first went all digital in oralndo area.. People complaining and what not.. And we have that Issue with DVRS and DIGITAL boxs.. The delay in the time..

Oh I got that beat HD, we actually had a guy who called Channel 9 problem solvers throwing a fit like a little 2 year old.

Problem, his digital channels were pixelating. A common complaint when the switch happend.

Ok, so now to give you the back ground. The guy calls in for a service call. We roll a tech, tech gets there, then he curses at the tech, the tech disconnects cable from the pole and leaves.

Keep reeding!

A week later, the guy calls in complaining about the same problem again. We roll a tech out, tech does not even knock on the door, tech climbs pole disconnects cable, leaves.

Again, a week later, here we go again! So tech rolls out, disconnects cable and leaves.

Now up to this point BHN has been extremely lenient. The guy calls channel 9 problem solvers. Channel 9 calls to get answers. Ready for this?

"Channel 9, please be advised that the person that is calling, is stealing cable. The cable box that he has is actually registered to his neighbor, who lent him the box so that he could get ALL the channels for 5$ a month. We have been lenient to the point that if it does continue, we will go ahead and press charges for theft of service"

Ya know, ever since then, we have not heard a word from this guy!

And people wonder (and to this day bitch and still haven't figured out) why they won't let you self install a cablecard and charge a fee to have tech show up in your house to do it ;)

Of course, I'll delete this answer in a day or two to make sure it doesn't hang around.

I don't want to be critical of BHN, since I enjoy my cable service, and I didn't intend to go off on a rant about STB pricing... but BHN is charging me for the first box at $8/month, and friends for the first cable card at $5/month.

STBs are just the cost of doing business these days.

I was thinking about getting a cable card and guess what here in Michigan it is more expensive!! I thought the cost had to be their real cost?

Additional Digital Cable Box with Remote $9.00
Cable card and Digital Tier, Digital Music (as primary outlet) $9.50
(discounted as an additional outlet) $7.95

speaking of stealing cable, my landlord has done it for years. has an elborate scheme where he pays for one customer, then runs multi-lines throughout the apartment building. trouble is, all the cable is run inside. but there's one apartment that has the junction box with boosters on the ceiling in the closet.

i have complained to bhn for years now, including their security people. keeps falling on deaf ears. any suggestions? he got hincky a few weeks ago when a tech had to come to my apartment to bring me a new hddvr. thankfully, i'm on a seperate box so my pq is superior!!

speaking of stealing cable, my landlord has done it for years. has an elborate scheme where he pays for one customer, then runs multi-lines throughout the apartment building. trouble is, all the cable is run inside. but there's one apartment that has the junction box with boosters on the ceiling in the closet.

i have complained to bhn for years now, including their security people. keeps falling on deaf ears. any suggestions? he got hincky a few weeks ago when a tech had to come to my apartment to bring me a new hddvr. thankfully, i'm on a seperate box so my pq is superior!!

pm me what area and the name of the complex...

and to you people being charged the fee for cable card.. I think they ahve the wording off a bit in orlando its 1.95 for teh card itself... Now if you want the digital programming that comes with it you need to pay extra for the extra channels.. (the price you posted said it includes those channels, so that 9.95 fee includes the card itself and the digital music/digital tier of channels) so that sounds right, you get an extra what 100+ channels? Thats why its 9.95

As a tech guy and a TV lover, I am surprised with myself for not catching the change right away here in St. Petersburg. I pretty much only watch Fox News Channel and Lightning games on Sun on the under 100 stations and in the past I have called about grainy analog stations like Fox many times. I just assumed subconsciously that things were going good in my neighborhood as far as the crisper than usual picture.
I fix computers locally and resell Roadrunner to a lot of residential customers and I am pretty aware of the areas that have both television and Internet problems through Bright House. Yesterday I was at a business customer of mine and talking to the Roadrunner tech installing a new modem. I ranted to him about how they'll be getting some real competition when Verizon FIOS comes to town with their high speed Fiber Internet and 100% digital TV (hopefully next year). He told me that channels 1-99 are all digital on Bright House now. I was skeptical and went home and checked. He was right. I compared my two HD DVR digital boxes to the analog coax in my son's room and there is a huge difference. The tech told me that they were going to cease analog all together in 2008. That will be great because it will certainly free up bandwidth for other things, like more HDTV channels. I'll just have to rent another cable box for the kid's room I guess. I think once they do away with analog all together we'll have less problems here in St. Pete.

Come to think of it, there is no way I couldn't have seen this sooner. I am watching Fox News, as usual, right now and it looks way better than it did as recent as last week. I'll bet they just switched my neighborhood (near 62nd Ave N and 1st St N) in the last week or two. God it looks good now.

Razorphreak900- I see you posted this original post in November, what part of town are you in because I swear they must have just switched me. There have been a lot of trucks in my area lately.

As a tech guy and a TV lover, I am surprised with myself for not catching the change right away here in St. Petersburg. I pretty much only watch Fox News Channel and Lightning games on Sun on the under 100 stations and in the past I have called about grainy analog stations like Fox many times. I just assumed subconsciously that things were going good in my neighborhood as far as the crisper than usual picture.
I fix computers locally and resell Roadrunner to a lot of residential customers and I am pretty aware of the areas that have both television and Internet problems through Bright House. Yesterday I was at a business customer of mine and talking to the Roadrunner tech installing a new modem. I ranted to him about how they'll be getting some real competition when Verizon FIOS comes to town with their high speed Fiber Internet and 100% digital TV (hopefully next year). He told me that channels 1-99 are all digital on Bright House now. I was skeptical and went home and checked. He was right. I compared my two HD DVR digital boxes to the analog coax in my son's room and there is a huge difference. The tech told me that they were going to cease analog all together in 2008. That will be great because it will certainly free up bandwidth for other things, like more HDTV channels. I'll just have to rent another cable box for the kid's room I guess. I think once they do away with analog all together we'll have less problems here in St. Pete.

Come to think of it, there is no way I couldn't have seen this sooner. I am watching Fox News, as usual, right now and it looks way better than it did as recent as last week. I'll bet they just switched my neighborhood (near 62nd Ave N and 1st St N) in the last week or two. God it looks good now.

Razorphreak900- I see you posted this original post in November, what part of town are you in because I swear they must have just switched me. There have been a lot of trucks in my area lately.

hey wuz up, and glad that you finally noticed, maybe your boxes never reset?? till now, could b possible,but i noticed it about a day before i made the announcement of me noticing digital channels in november (from my understanding everybody that is considered tampabay area got the change), i live also in saint pete, right there on 54 ave. i live across the kenneth city bowling place (that closed down a year ago), so that should give u an idea where im at. and even up to now the picture has been looking great as usual and i haven't had one complaint with it what so ever, thought like u said, i do have one tv (new) but i aint renting the box yet so i have the coax straight to the tv and the picture quality, is so notisable, all grainy and like u see frequency or something across the screen etc etc lol...but of course viewable. also another best way (which is obvious,but jic u dint know lol :)) always look around these forums we always try to update ourselves lol, like that new mtvhd, mtv3 (tr3s).etc etc.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts