Switch DVR for standard box

Status
Please reply by conversation.

robvmi

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
Last night I got a 2 room install, 1 Tivo & 1 standard. I have another DVR and would like to replace the standard box with it. Can I just switch them out and swap the cards? Or, is the card in the standard box programmed to only work with that box.

Is there a way I can do this that isn't illegal?

Thanks,
Rob

You can't just swap the card from one box to another, the box and card are associated with each other. You need to get DirecTV in the act to activate the other DVR. What model is it? You may have to get another card from DirecTV.

Call Directv and give them the information from the "used" DirecTiVo, you will probably have to buy a card for that used box.

I got the Tivo from a friend who upgraded to the HD DirecTivo and gave me his old Hughes HDVR2. It still has the card in it. I called D* today and the CSR told me that they would reactivate it. Does that sound right?
Rob

robvmi said:
I got the Tivo from a friend who upgraded to the HD DirecTivo and gave me his old Hughes HDVR2. It still has the card in it. I called D* today and the CSR told me that they would reactivate it. Does that sound right?
Rob
If they reactivate it you are the odd ball they are supposed to replace the cards at your expense $20.

Well, i called D* last night and they reactivated the card. The CSR was very cool and no questions asked.
Rob

The CSR that I spoke to (did battle with) last week told me that I would have to buy a new card for the used DVR. I won't get into the whole story, but i hung up with her after telling her that D* sucked and I was going with Dish. Of course I didn't. I just went to CC and bought my equip. After the install, i was at work and it occured to me to set up the other DVR in place of the standard receiver. I called from work to check on reactivation of the card and the CSR said no prob. Later that night when i called D* from home to reactivate the card, CSR did it, no questions asked.

I have found that regarding equipment, I get the best service when on the phone i select the option for activate new equip.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DirectTV DVR with TiVo Query

Programming

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts