Switch from Directv to Dish

pmsmith2032

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2013
Chicago, IL
We currently have been customers of Directv for over 5 years and are no longer under any sort of contract. While we have been fairly happy with Directv, we are not happy with the packages/pricing (we currently have the family package). We would also like a whole house system. We are conteplating switching to Dish and have the following questions:

1. If we do switch, will the installer be able to replace our current dish with the new Dish dish in the same place? Our current dish is installed in the side of our house (not the roof) and I would prefer not having a bunch of holes in the siding.

2.. I spoke to a Dish representative yesterday and he offered the America's Top 120 package for $48.99 a month for the first 12 months (two HD TVs) increasing to $68.99 after that. He also offered the America's Top 120 Plus package for $53.99 a month for the first twelve months increasing to $78.99 a month after that. Adding an additional HD TV would be an extra $7 a month on all packages. All packages include free installation and the Hooper whole house system. Is this the best deals they have? Are there any hidden fees they aren't telling me about?

3. Most of the local sports (Chicago Cubs, Chicago Bulls and Chicago Blackhawks) are on channel Comcast SportsNet Chicago HD 665 on Directv? I have to pay an addtional $10 a month for a sports package with Directv to get this channel. Which package(s) with Dish will give me this channel? The Dish rep I spoke with yesterday said I would need the America's Top 120 Plus package but he didn't seem all that sure.

4. He also told me that if we want to add a third TV down the road, there would be no additional charges for installation (I'm not sure if they have to come out to add another TV or it is something I can do). Does this sould right?

5. How does the quality of Dish compare to Directv? Are channels such as local channels, WGN and Comcast SportsNet Chicago offered in HD?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome here. I'll give a general answer.

I would not use a DISH phone CSR. Either use what we call the DIRT team here, who are highly informed DISH CSR's and you can be sure what you agree to is what you get, OR use a local DISH retailer.

DISH does not have full time local sports channels in HD such as Comcast SportsNet. Most all the actual pro games will be in HD but programming in between will normally be in SD. Locals will be in HD for you, generally DISH has a few more channels in HD than Direct TV has, but there are exceptions.
You need to subscribe to the Top120+ package to get the local pro sports. Locals are on all English packages and generally in HD if they are HD. (Note the + it's one package over the top120 package)

My personal advice - I have had DISH for over 13 years but that does not mean I think you should switch. If you have been happy with Direct TV try hard to see what they will do for you to upgrade to a whole home system. Anytime you switch you will get a better deal as a new customer with anyone, so Direct TV most likely can't match that, but getting a decent deal with a company you know and like may be just as good.
DISH and DIRECT are the two best overall in my opinion with FIOS close.

Last edited:
Thanks Tampa8. So it sounds like I'll get all the local pro games in HD, correct? The reason we want to leave Directv is that we have the very basic Family package. We would like to get ESPN, SyFy, and FX (just to name a few). These are not included in our current package. The next package up (Entertainment package) includes these but is $25.00 more. This would raise our bill to $89.98 which is about $35 more than the promotion from Dish and $10 more than the regular price. Plus, I believe Directv charges a monthly fee for their whole house system. All in all, I figure that's around a $550 savings over two years. I know a lot of people feel this way, but it's ashame that loyal customers have to pay significantly more than new customers. I figure I might as well shop around and get the best deal possible.

How do I contact a DIRT member on here?

Last edited:
If you want to switch to Dish and want some sports channels you should get either get the top 120 plus or top 200. I myself prefer the top 200. You will get WGN, Comcast SportsNet Chicago and the Big Ten Network. CSN Chicago is not full time HD but the games are, WGN is full time HD and so is BTN.

If you go with the Hopper you need to make sure how many TVs you want hooked up and how many people will be watching TV and setting up timers. The Hopper DVR fee is $12 and the extra Joey fees are $7. If you get a second Hopper it would cost $12 a month.

Thanks Scherrman! So these fees would be in addition to the $53.99/$78.99 or included in it? I believe those prices were for two HD tvs and he said each additional HD tv would be another $7.

If you're looking at the Top 200, it's $39.99 for the first year then $64.99 regular price. If you go with the Hopper and a Joey then your final bill after a year should be:
AT200 $64.99
DVR $12
Joey $7
Total $83.99
Keep an eye on the freebies you get upfront because they will get added to your bill when their promo is up. The movie channels and the Service plan are ones that can sneak up on you.

Thanks Tampa8. So it sounds like I'll get all the local pro games in HD, correct? The reason we want to leave Directv is that we have the very basic Family package. We would like to get ESPN, SyFy, and FX (just to name a few). These are not included in our current package. The next package up (Entertainment package) includes these but is $25.00 more. This would raise our bill to $89.98 which is about $35 more than the promotion from Dish and $10 more than the regular price. Plus, I believe Directv charges a monthly fee for their whole house system. All in all, I figure that's around a $550 savings over two years. I know a lot of people feel this way, but it's ashame that loyal customers have to pay significantly more than new customers. I figure I might as well shop around and get the best deal possible.

How do I contact a DIRT member on here?

To get in touch with a DIRT member go to the main forum page http://www.satelliteguys.us/forum.php - scroll to the bottom to see a list of active users. The DIRT members will be in RED - send them a PM and they will help you out. Also - and it sounds like you've already done this - I always like to know my after-promotion price, what I'll be paying for the long haul each month. I don't like to base my savings on promotional prices. Also, you will get by a little cheaper with a 722k receiver which has a dual tuner - one for the main and you can hook a second TV to the 2nd tuner although the 2nd tuner is only SD not HD. Just a thought if it's not paramount to have HD on the second tv.

Also, you will get by a little cheaper with a 722k receiver which has a dual tuner - one for the main and you can hook a second TV to the 2nd tuner although the 2nd tuner is only SD not HD. Just a thought if it's not paramount to have HD on the second tv.
Just wanted to make one small clarification with the above. Both tuners record HD and SD programs, it's just the 2nd TV output which is SD only. Any HD recordings or channels can be viewed on the 2nd TV, just it will be down converted to SD.

Going forward, what is the best way to sign up for service? I have been speaking to a DIRT rep on here and he has quoted me prices. Can I go through him? Should I sign up online? I spoke to a rep through chat yesterday and I wasn't very impressed.

I would set a future date for the install and then see what happens when you go through the motions of canceling DTV. You might find that they will be willing to give you a better deal to stay.

Would I be able to cancel the install with Dish then though? And if I call ahead of time to cancel Directv, we'll be without TV until the install, correct?

Here was my thinking...set up the install with Dish for next Monday. Call Direct and request cancellation, but ask if it can be made effective next Monday because that is when your install is scheduled with Dish. If they don't make any good offers to stay at that point, maybe you could even wait a day or two hoping Direct calls back trying to get you to stay. (that would depend on your risk tolerance :) ) You should have no problem reversing your decisions and scheduled appts. given enough lead time.

Another option I've read, is it possible for me to cancel our Directv service under my name and then sign up again with my wife's name? Has anyone tried this?

You can try but it has to look like an all new customer. Remember, this gets tried a lot and is against the rules.

Thanks. I kind of thought it was a bad idea too. I think we are going to just take the deal with Dish unless Directv makes us a better deal (which I doubt) when we cancel. Thanks for all the help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)