Status
Please reply by conversation.

McGuyver

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Nuclear Testing Grounds
Hello friend's,

First of all, I hope I'm posting this in the right forum.

I attached a drawing of my current working setup and would like you to find a switch solution if possible. I provided specific details in the drawing, this is currently working for one receiver and would like to add a second receiver to the setup.

I hope that I explained it well enough. I'm not very knowledgable about all switches and their usage, your expert help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• Dish_drawing.JPG
    Dish_drawing.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 280
this was discussed over in the FTA section. the best solution would be to swap out the single output to a dual or bandstacked lnb so you would be able to get H & V on both units. with this said you should be able to use a couple of 4X8 ( or 4X4 or 4X6) switches and a diesqc switch for each receiver.

the trouble with the singles would only happen if both units were trying to use the same single lnb, each wanting a different polarity at the same time.

the fellows in the FTA section should be able to help more :)

moved to FTA section

and yes you can get 4 degree spacing (or real close to it). Since 101 is very strong I would put the main LNB on 97 and the 2nd LNB on 101

One way to cheat but get most of the channels - use two 3X4 switches and two or more Diseqc switches. Use the 18V sides for the Horizontal channels on 101W and 129W and the 13V sides for Vertical channels on 97W and 123W. You will lose three Vertical channels on 101W and none on 129W. You will lose about 1/3 of the Horizontal channels on 97W and four (4) channels on 123W.
Put one 3X4 on each dish and connect their outputs via a 2X1 Diseqc switch for each receiver (one Diseqc switch for each receiver). Take a look at the LIST (above) and see if you can live without the channels you will lose.
Bob

Last edited:
Here is a picture of how you would hookup a 3X4 switch.
Bob

Attachments

• 3X4 switch hookup.JPG
    3X4 switch hookup.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 215
proposed switch

I don't know if this will work, but it looks good on paper.
The ability to move the bandstacked LNB close enough to your existing 2-output LNB is also in question.

Uses two DishPro bandstacked FSS LNBs, one 4x4 multiswitch, two 4x1 diseqc switches, and two 2:1 diode isolated power passing hi freq splitters.
Wire as shown.
I also included the suggestion by Iceberg:
Since 101 is very strong I would put the main LNB on 97 and the 2nd LNB on 101
The FTA receivers would have their switches set this way:
diseqc 1: 129º bandstacked DP-OCS
diseqc 2: 123º, 22khz off, 12v=V, 18v=H
diseqc 2: .97º,, 22khz on, 12v=V, 18v=H
diseqc 3: 101º bandstacked DP-OCS
diseqc 4: reserved for future

This is just a first suggestion, and awaits any criticism from the switch squad.
Have at it, guys, and rip it a new one! - :up

Attachments

• Dish_drawing.JPG
    Dish_drawing.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
You would need a diseqc switch that will pass the 22Khz signal for Anole's system to work.
Bob

You are right, I had it backwards. Many 22khz switches won't pass Diseqc signals. Ecoda will. Sorry for the bad tip.
Bob

no worries...just didnt want to be confused :)

and correct...I've only found ecodas to pass diseqc commands

I don't know if this will work, but it looks good on paper.
The ability to move the bandstacked LNB close enough to your existing 2-output LNB is also in question.

Uses two DishPro bandstacked FSS LNBs, one 4x4 multiswitch, two 4x1 diseqc switches, and two 2:1 diode isolated power passing hi freq splitters.
Wire as shown.
I also included the suggestion by Iceberg:
The FTA receivers would have their switches set this way:
diseqc 1: 129º bandstacked DP-OCS
diseqc 2: 123º, 22khz off, 12v=V, 18v=H
diseqc 2: .97º,, 22khz on, 12v=V, 18v=H
diseqc 3: 101º bandstacked DP-OCS

This is just a first suggestion, and awaits any criticism from the switch squad.
Have at it, guys, and rip it a new one! - :up

WOW Anole, very impressive. You are like a switch Guru

"diode isolated power passing hi freq splitters" I feel so low tech here....

heh, Jerry ... :D ... I learned it all to you, and Iceberg, and the rest of the clever guys on the forum!
I think I used some of your old pictures, and cleaned 'em up in Paint.

As for the splitters... Sorry, I don't know the correct term for the ones needed.
And frankly, I don't even like splitters.
But I did want to correctly identify what ya needed.
Just don't make me shop for 'em. ;)

So, being one of the relatively few DishPro LNB Guru's, what do you think about using the 105º LNBs?
How would they likely perform in this situation?

The OP presented a pretty difficult challenge.
Some of the other suggestions are quite inspired - sacrificing certain transponders.
Hey, if that's acceptable, go for it! :)

One other though I had, was to use the existing GeoSat Mini's and access them through similar splitters, so they got the higher of the two voltages supplied to them.
That would mean they would put out Horizontal if either receiver requested it, otherwise they'd put out Vertical.
So, only if both receivers accessed one of the minis, and requested different polarity, would there be a conflict.
(well, not an electrical conflict, just a logical one - both would get Horizontal)
...and you might want to move the mini to the prime location, if it'd help.
Only the OP would know whether that would be acceptable.

edit: Oh, rereading what I posted, it just occurred to me that you could use the existing Mini's where the DishPro LNBs are shown in the drawing above.
Other than the conflict described, you'd have to change the switch setup to:

diseqc 1: 129º, 12v=V, 18v=H, 22k doesn't matter (could use Universal Mini's)
diseqc 2: 123º, 12v=V, 18v=H, 22khz off
diseqc 2: .97º,, 12v=V, 18v=H, 22khz on
diseqc 3: 101º, 12v=V, 18v=H, 22k doesn't matter (could use Universal Mini's)

I must say, I'm not really a fan of any of the ideas presented so far. . .

Last edited:
Wow fellows! you are all great help! I'm sorry that this fell in the crack and I forgot all about it. I'm still watching TV from this setup on just one receiver. I have been too busy with the other things in life and sort of put this on the back burner but I just got a PM from our good friend Anole so here I am taking notes and copying pics.

I thank you all again and when I ever get around to it I will certainly call for help if I need it. Be cool guys :)

McGuyver

I'm not sure if this would even work as I have never used a DP34 so I'm just guessing :p

Attachments

• Dish_drawing2.JPG
    Dish_drawing2.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 159
nope. The DP34 is stacked so you would need stacked LNB's...99% of the KU Band LNB's are non-stacked

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts