switch to live mode?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

davideo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 3, 2004
"Da Bada-Bing State" + Oahu
I did a search on this and nothing came up, soooo,

Why do the Dish STBs have this annoyance:

"your request can only be carried out in live mode" :mad:
"switch to live mode now?" :mad:

I have a Directivo and a Motorola cable DVR, neither of them bother you with this.

We're constantly hitting the step back button, so we see this window on every channel change. :(

Can't it be turned off?

Just hit the "view TV" button before you switch channels. That will fix your problem.

davideo said:
Thanks for your reply. That works. :)
But they really need to have an option in the preferences to automatically change with no pop-up dialog box.

Personally, I *LIKE* that feature. Many times it has saved me from missing part of a program that I had earlier paused or rewound and forgot about (or that occassional accidental channel change while "buffering"). :)

-TS

Reactions: Radioguy41
I agree with TS. And if you have kids (or grand kids) who like to switch channels while you are out of the room you would like it even more. It doesn't prevent them from switching but it does give a warning that it is happening. They now know to use the "swap" button so they can watch their programs and I can still watch mine when I come back in the room.

Bill R said:
I agree with TS. And if you have kids (or grand kids) who like to switch channels while you are out of the room you would like it even more. It doesn't prevent them from switching but it does give a warning that it is happening. They now know to use the "swap" button so they can watch their programs and I can still watch mine when I come back in the room.
I just tried the swap trick, and it sent my previous channel to live when I went back to it.

Dirtydan said:
I just tried the swap trick, and it sent my previous channel to live when I went back to it.

Yea but you can still rewind back to where you were before you swapped.

I agree with ts7, that "Switch to Live Mode?" has saved me from accidentally losing what has been buffered and allowed me the option to save what what is in the buffer so far. Am I correct in remembering that long ago, the first Echostar DVR's did NOT have this feauture, and that it was very soon after added in response to many customers' pleas? There is always going to be a good feature for the vast majority of us that a few others find annoying.

Reactions: charlesrshell