Switched From DirecTiVo, How Can I...?

Super Dave

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
Maple Shade, NJ
There are a few features I miss, and was wondering if they were there and I don't know how to use them.

1. Sounds when buttons are pressed, miss the bloop bloop.
2. When I used to hit play on my TiVo a bar would pop up and show you where you are in the playback. I have not found a way to do this without FF'ing. Can it be done?
3. I found this one. I wanted to know the picture setting (stretched, zoom...) on a particular tuner without changing the settings. This is done by pressing the cancel button.

Any other tips/tricks/shortcuts anyone has found out would be appreciated.

Thanx...Dave

I'm a recent convert too and I miss the sounds, I don't think its an option. For the status bar, I usually do a quick pause and that shows me. One neat feature I found is that hitting "Swap" (not in pip mode) will switch tuners.

Mike

You'll grow out of your attachment to the sounds eventually. Just like you will about Sub-channel guide information. :D

Cyclone said:
You'll grow out of your attachment to the sounds eventually.
Reminds me of people who have sound "events" turned on in Windows.... Typically, they don't know how to turn them off, so they just live with it.

hall said:
Reminds me of people who have sound "events" turned on in Windows.... Typically, they don't know how to turn them off, so they just live with it.
I don't have sound on my Windows, the primary reason for the sound was to know how many times I pressed the FF button, so I could judge when it was time to come out of warp speed. There are times a button is pressed but the DVR doesn't respond and it was easier to tell with a noise. That's all. Dish's DVR do react faster so I can see not needing sound like I did with the DirecTiVo, I could push a button on that box and wait 15-20 for a response, thus the noise was very useful.

SuperDave
Are these the only issues you have going from the 10-250 to the 622?

I am thinking of switching but hesitate for other reasons

PQ in SD (which is always brought up here)
Ending D* with a year left on my commitment
E*s legal problems with TiVo (and possible merger with D*)

If sounds were the issue I would make my own.

Super Dave said:
There are a few features I miss, and was wondering if they were there and I don't know how to use them.

1. Sounds when buttons are pressed, miss the bloop bloop.
2. When I used to hit play on my TiVo a bar would pop up and show you where you are in the playback. I have not found a way to do this without FF'ing. Can it be done?

3. I found this one. I wanted to know the picture setting (stretched, zoom...) on a particular tuner without changing the settings. This is done by pressing the cancel button.

Thanx...Dave

1. No sound but you do get faster interface.
2. Just press cancel button or view TV this will give you view banner which will also show remaining time. You can pause the video which will give you bar kind of stuff you are talking about.
3. Page up key for HD output and Page down key for SD output. It will not be tuner specific but it will be video type specific. It will remember settings on HD channel and SD channel. If you are in dual user mode you can have separate settings also.

Other things I use.
1. One thing I like most is skip forward and skip backward. Forward will take you 30 seconds forwards 4 or 8 forwards to avoid most of the advertisements.
2. In guide skip forward and backward will skip 24 hours respectively.
3. Pressing DVR key 2 times will get you in recorded menu.
4. While watching video # will take you to search screen.
5. While watching video Left arrow will take you to themes menu.

Hope any of this might help. :)

Thanks Friend, those are the type of tips I was looking for. The hidden features that have been found. The noise thing took a life of it's own, I was kind of kidding about it, but it grew so I watered it. I have been enjoying the 622 and have not had any issues with it. I have found it to be solid and quick, just wish I had more time to play around with it.

Kent, I really don't have any issues with the 622, just wanted to strike up some friendly conversation, being new to Dish and the forum. Over at my old TiVo forum they are hardcore biased against any other DVR that isn't TiVo branded, so it is hard to get anything going before the childish mudslinging begins. I left for HD and now I have it and the ability to record it, with 3 tuners. I'm lucky enough to have my locals on the bird.

Another remote button trick (took someone else to point it out to me, so...):

In the lower left corner of the remote is the format button (to zoom and unzoom as necessary on SD channels w/o playing with the tv zoom)

Harmeister said:
Another remote button trick (took someone else to point it out to me, so...):

In the lower left corner of the remote is the format button (to zoom and unzoom as necessary on SD channels w/o playing with the tv zoom)

Actually page up button will do the same functionality without that pop up. If you read the pop up it will mention the same. Page down will be fore SD outputs :)

Kentstater72 said:
SuperDave
Are these the only issues you have going from the 10-250 to the 622?

I am thinking of switching but hesitate for other reasons

PQ in SD (which is always brought up here)
Ending D* with a year left on my commitment
E*s legal problems with TiVo (and possible merger with D*)

If sounds were the issue I would make my own.

Two biggies for me after switching from the 10-250 to the 622 are losing the Wish List and the dual buffers on both tuners. I also miss it looking for shows based on my recording habits but not as much as those other two features.

I don't have a receiver with NBR, but I believe Dish Pass is equivalent to Wish List. You just need to be aware of limitation (read "design flaw") that your 96 timers can only generate 288 events, both active and skipped. Once you hit 288 events, no more timers.

There is a way to use PIP to buffer both tuners. That's a feature I won't be using since I use a DVR for time-shifting and somewhat to avoid watching live TV.

Check 622 Tips on the EKB for a few others that have been gleaned from the boards.

nazz said:
Two biggies for me after switching from the 10-250 to the 622 are losing the Wish List and the dual buffers on both tuners. I also miss it looking for shows based on my recording habits but not as much as those other two features.
What do you mean dual buffers on both tuners? When I use the swap button I have up to a 2 hour buffer on both tuners.

One thing I do miss is the slow motion and frame by frame buttons.

Press Pause.

The skip buttoms do frame-by-frame forward and back. Well, back is a little more than a frame but pretty close.

Press FF/Rew repeatedly to cycle through the slo-mo speeds. Once you get to 1x you'll have to pause again to get back to slo-mo.

Friend said:
Other things I use.
1. One thing I like most is skip forward and skip backward. Forward will take you 30 seconds forwards 4 or 8 forwards to avoid most of the advertisements.
2. In guide skip forward and backward will skip 24 hours respectively.
3. Pressing DVR key 2 times will get you in recorded menu.
4. While watching video # will take you to search screen.
5. While watching video Left arrow will take you to themes menu.

Hope any of this might help. :)

Another Shortcut that many users don't know about is the Hour Skip feature while in the EPG.

With the Guide display on screen input any number of hours with the Number pad, then press the "Right Arrow" button, you will instantly jump forward that number of Hours. This same shortcut works backward by pressing the "Left Arrow" button instead. *** You can NOT go back past the current time. ***

For Instance I will often like to see the EPG data for next weeks show that airs on the same night and time, I pull up the guide, then press 168 then press "Right Arrow" and I will jump forward exactly 7 days and see next weeks program description.

John

BobaBird said:
Press Pause.

The skip buttoms do frame-by-frame forward and back. Well, back is a little more than a frame but pretty close.

Press FF/Rew repeatedly to cycle through the slo-mo speeds. Once you get to 1x you'll have to pause again to get back to slo-mo.
Thank you, this is a bit of info that will convince my Bro-in-Law to switch. I figured it was hidden.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)