Switched from E* to D*

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

baloo75

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 24, 2003
I just switched from E* to D* last week and I couldn't be happier! Tivo is a good thing, the picture quality on my locals is much improved, the non-Tivo receivers are much better than my old 301, the music channels are much better, and for a comparable programming package it is cheaper.

I must say I have been putting off the switch for a long time because it is such a pain to switch (or so I thought) but my family and I are much happier. The grass really is greener on the other side. If you are on the fence just do it. I did a self install and it only took about 1 hour to fully switch over, couldn't of been easier. For $39.00 shipped I got a Tivo, 2 standard receivers (I would call these deluxe compared to dish receivers), and the Phase III dish. Now I have to sell my 721, 501 and 301 receivers.

Welcome to the converts club! Isn't it nice to have some hardware where you don't have to do check switches, reboots etc to just watch TV? There's only two things I miss, called ID on the DirecTivo's and HBO-Comedy, but I'm making due.

baloo75 said:
I just switched from E* to D* last week and I couldn't be happier! Tivo is a good thing, the picture quality on my locals is much improved, the non-Tivo receivers are much better than my old 301, the music channels are much better, and for a comparable programming package it is cheaper.

I must say I have been putting off the switch for a long time because it is such a pain to switch (or so I thought) but my family and I are much happier. The grass really is greener on the other side. If you are on the fence just do it. I did a self install and it only took about 1 hour to fully switch over, couldn't of been easier. For $39.00 shipped I got a Tivo, 2 standard receivers (I would call these deluxe compared to dish receivers), and the Phase III dish. Now I have to sell my 721, 501 and 301 receivers.

Where exactly did you get this good deal? I have been wanting the same exact setup you got.
I can't find a price anywhere cheaper than $75 for that setup. That does include installation though. But I know I can install, I have done it before in the past with others.

I want to echo what was said above. I switched in November for 2 DirecTivos and could not be happier. I just got a Samsung SIR-360 HD receiver under the $99.00 deal. They included a 4x8 switch and I have free Showtime and $2.00 per month HBO. It is a much better receiver in every way then my 6000 ever was.

DirecTV is willing to take care of existing customers, something Charlie has said he would do but has not. When I called to cancel after almost seven years with Dish, I was told there were no offers for 2 tuner PVR'S for existing customers. They acknowledged the good deals DirecTV was offering but made sure to remind me it would cost $25.00 to come back!

JAWheat411 said:
Where exactly did you get this good deal? I have been wanting the same exact setup you got.
I can't find a price anywhere cheaper than $75 for that setup. That does include installation though. But I know I can install, I have done it before in the past with others.

I got it from value electronics. That configuration is 59.97 + 30(shipping) and if you do a self install you get a 50 credit after you activate (and they give you a self install kit) which comes out to 39. Had some ups and down with value (actually there distributor) however in the end the experience was very positive and I would recommend them. From the time I ordered to the time I installed was exactly 1 week.

There are only 2 things I miss from E*, caller ID on the Tivo and also the speed of the UI. The UI is very slow on the Tivo but the featureset of the receiver more than makes up for the speed.

Im also on the verge of making the change but there are a few things about D* channel lineup that I dont like. I have the AT180 and D* doesnt have a package quite like it. I dont want the D* everything but would still like to get the TC Premium with locals plus HBO. I am going to miss a couple channels that are in the 180 level though. The Movie Channel, Encore, Golf Channel, etc are included with DISH but not with Direct.

The main reason I'm looking to move is the HD hardware and PVR functions. I have an older 6000 with both the modules and if the 811 was good, I would get it but we know whats going on there. I dont have DISH PVR now and not looking to get one of those buggy devices either. I want a Tivo type device.

Unless Dish makes some miraculous improvements to the 811 and their PVR's, I doubt I will stay a customer much longer.

yeah I guess that deal with Value electronics isn't that bad. The bad part is that you have to fork out $90 or so up front. Then after a month you send them a copy of the bill and they credit you the $50. I imagine they (and most companies now days) deal with these rebates is because they know most people won't send in the rebate stuff. So they are not out any money.
I guess I am interested in the bottom line dollar amount. Seems everywhere I find that has a good price wants to charge so much for shipping. I might have to just order the basic system and get a Tivo later.

JAWheat411 said:
yeah I guess that deal with Value electronics isn't that bad. The bad part is that you have to fork out $90 or so up front. Then after a month you send them a copy of the bill and they credit you the $50. I imagine they (and most companies now days) deal with these rebates is because they know most people won't send in the rebate stuff. So they are not out any money.
I guess I am interested in the bottom line dollar amount. Seems everywhere I find that has a good price wants to charge so much for shipping. I might have to just order the basic system and get a Tivo later.

Actually you don't have to wait a month. With D* you get your first bill online within a couple of days. I activated my system last Wednesday and I already have the credit. Just to let you know how the self install thing really works. You have to fork out $50 up front so you actually fork out $139.00 then when you fax value electronics your first bill (it will be available within the first week) they credit your credit card $100.00. I had no problem with with getting the credit. They do this because D* doesn't give them money until you activate, so this is there guarantee that you will activate the equipment and not just get it and never activate it (this is what I was told when I asked why). If you went the pro install route you don't have to put the money up front because the installer makes sure you activate the equipment of course you wouldn't get the $50.00 credit like you do with the self install.

rad,

Unless soem scam artist installed an old, used TIVO for you, you have caller ID, you jsut need to go into the setup menu and activate it.

aredknight said:
rad,

Unless soem scam artist installed an old, used TIVO for you, you have caller ID, you jsut need to go into the setup menu and activate it.

No the DirectTivo's do not have caller ID, it is about the only D* receiver that doesn't.

aredknight said:
rad,

Can you please tell me exactly where in the DirecTivo setup menu's the option is for enabling the caller ID function since I don't see on. Everything that I've found is that if you feel like doing a software hack of the Tivo code you might be able to get it to work, but it's not a standard function in the DirecTivo boxes. I'm not saying that it isn't there it's just that I don't see it. Thanks - RAD

Welcome to the good side of satellite!! I am very happy with the switch. My DISH stuff is on ebay right now. Wife is happy with the dual tuner dtivo!! You will like the service. We have the TC Premier + locals. With all the discounts they gave us, it was worth it.

I went with Value E also on the Self install.

Only the Direct Tivo is with out Caller ID, my other Two RCA standard receviers all have caller ID.

Also when I signed up, I mentioned the Price Increase to the CSR (signed up a few days ago).

The CRS then gave me $2 off for a Whole Year. They called it Price Protection sign the prices on there web site changed during the time I was researching and ordering.

I ALSO got the Double deal which is $10 off for 6 Months on ANY total choice package.

You can also switch Premium channels any time online WITHOUT the $5 change fee that Dish charges.

So far so good. I did have to re tweak my TVs pic to get it to look better. This is normal as they use different settings.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)