Switched to Satellite. Tired of Cable Internet for My Home!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALXI

Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Southern California
I am completely fed up with cable internet, I don't care how great everybody says it is. The pricing is high, connection drops and I have to reset it constantly. I live in a condo and so it seems that the cable company has the whole complex in their pockets because they don't allow any competition here to providing, phones, cable TV, cable internet except one monopolizing company. This is intolerable! I've looked around hoping I can now switch to a more reliable and cheaper priced provider of my pay TV, internet and phones, yet every time I go to these people's site and type in my address to see if the service is available to my unit, the answer is always: "sorry, our service is not available for your home area." and I live in a major city! This is unfair business practice. So my neighbors and I are stuck paying high prices for a meager service, and right now when the economy is in the toilet and people need to finds way to save or spend less, the cable companies are getting away with robbery and secure customers by insider dealings. How is this fair?!

I am so irate (as you couldn't tell from the top paragraph) that I switched to Broadband Satellite Internet. I know, I know, I read and did my research, I understand and know all about the limitations and problems, but I don't care. I live in a climate where it rains maybe 3 days out of the year, and my wife runs a small home business, I need internet and TV and I don't want to pay a ton of money for the bare minimum. We've never been happier since the transition. I love my Satellite TV, I love my HughesNet high speed broadband satellite internet. I the money I saved should be submitted to evidence for investigation of corruption and unfair practices by the cable company.

I'm not saying satellite internet is for every home, make sure you understand all aspects before you make or even consider a switch, infodish.com, but if you are tired of cable companies dipping their hands into your pockets each month and only give you the minimum required by their board of directors and using this money to give kick backs to property manager so they can monopolize your life, HughesNet satellite internet is a convenient alternative to letting these thief know that you will no longer tolerate the victimization of corporate monopoly.

Did you happen to run speed tests while you were on cable? It would be interesting to compare your cable internet speed tests with HughesNet -- First 30 days, and HughesNet -- Third Month. I don't know if it is absolutely true or can be proven, but since you have a 30 day money back guarantee with HughesNet, I've heard that they put you on a very unbusy frequency, then after your 30 days are up, they switch you to a frequency everyone else is on.

I've heard that they put you on a very unbusy frequency, then after your 30 days are up, they switch you to a frequency everyone else is on.
Just because you read it on the internet doesn't automatically lend any veracity to that claim. It sounds more like regurgitated angst from some complaint forum. Spending time on actual help forums, you'd know - that with over 300,000 customers in the USA alone - Hughes doesn't have time to play petty tricks like that on an individual account basis.

What it boils down to is - you either get a good install, or a bad one. The good ones are seldom heard from again. Most of the whining comes either from the bad ones, or from impulse buyers who didn't bother reading the subscriber agreement.

//greg//

Last edited:
What it boils down to is - you either get a good install, or a bad one. The good ones are seldom heard from again. Most of the whining comes either from the bad ones, or from impulse buyers who didn't bother reading the subscriber agreement.

//greg//

Seriously, i thought i was the only person in the world who thought and understood that. I cant stand listening to people whine, granted they may have the right, but if its installed properly, it works. if its not installed correctly.....its only gonna work until............

Alxi When you get fed up with satellite. As you are in a condo how about getting together with a couple of neighbors get one fast line and wifi share it and cost between you.

Wow... No way would I trade DSL or cable internet for satellite internet! To be honest with you when I was looking at houses it was a requirement to have DSL or cable internet available. I've seen one too many satellite internet systems and I'll pass on using that everyday.

ALXI not sure what you are saving information about the new pricing for. Its not against the law for the cable company to cost more then the satellite company or vice versa... Who was your cable provider?

Pacuf,
You are 100% wrong and misinformed you need to do a little more investigating before you try to spread any @^$#% like that!!!!!!!!!!!
GWP

I own the house my mother lives in. She has her own phone, internet and tv through TWC. When it works it is great, however it breaks down way to often. To report a problem and get it fixed is a PIA. Keep a cell phone handy with a lot of minutes err hours.......................................................................... TWC & RR will play the blame game.

Last edited:
All I can say regarding sat internet (Hughes) is FAP! I had a T1 installed, problem solved.

Wow... No way would I trade DSL or cable internet for satellite internet! To be honest with you when I was looking at houses it was a requirement to have DSL or cable internet available. I've seen one too many satellite internet systems and I'll pass on using that everyday.
:up
I hate cable but till something better comes along I have to take the screwing.:eek:

You should call your cable company to fix that issue. Ive never had an issue with it that wasn't resolved quickly. The majority of outages and issues with cable modems if they are affecting the whole neighborhood is some idiot cutting a line (the same thing that can happen with a T1 connection) or some neighbor blasting several db of garbadge back on the lines (not affecting t1s).

Lets compare my cable modem is 20/2 a T1 is 1.5mbit.... My cable modem costs 55$/month a T1 will cost in a range of 150-300 depending on your location maybe even more, not to mention the equipment needed and installation costs... You do the math it makes 0 sense to go that route this day in age. Even if my cable modem was down for an hour a day itd make no sense. But rarely is their a time I cant turn on the PC and surf at lightning speed.

Hell even Regular DSL is a better option then a T1. Certainly if you can get a T1, standard DSL is availible. Most of those can get upto 5mbit for way less then a T1. Heck even if all you can get is 1.5mbit DSL its a better option then spending all that money on a T1.

Is this a joke topic? Honestly?

1.0 megs down download speed for Hughesnet costs more then my local cables 10 megs. 1.2 megs Hughesnet costs more then my local cables 20 megs!

If your around a national cable chain the price should be decent. If your around a small chain the price would be closer to Hughesnet, but that goes to cable having a large cap and satellitle having a 200 meg cap PER DAY! How does that help your small business?

I have a very hard time taking this topic seriously and I suspect it's a joke topic. If not..... oh boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts