Skyway Signal Report

powerismine

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
Alexander, NY
I am wondering what signal strength everyone is getting off of the typical 76cm skyway dish, also where you are located.

I am in Batavia NY 14020 and will post my results tomorrow after more testing.

76cm dish - We can barely get anything, will put exact db in tomorrow.
With the birdog I get next to no quality, it just locks, then looses signal, then locks, then looses signal. :confused:

Larger dish that we are Beta testing for skyway - 9.6 DB at best. I will also get the size of that test dish tomorrow for you all. With the birdog the best quality I can get with the larger dish is 36%. :mad:

One of the problems we are having with these larger dishes is that they are only meant to be mounted on a flat surface. If these guys want to compete with the big boys around here they gotta step up to the plate a little bit more. :hungry:

On a lighter note, when the system is installed and working it does work well. The downloads are fast and even with the dial-up out the response is good. I understand that most people are going to want to get internet and not have a house phone, but there are alot of people around here that are intrested in skyway because of the cheap monthly cost. As my father would say "once they get their ducks in a row" it would be a good seller around here, until Wildblue, Hughes, and Starband drop in cost or WiFi/Cell internet drops in cost.

Okay enough for me tonight, Have a good nite all!

Rich

Rich, I left you a voice mail and IM'd your gmail acct this week, let's talk. I've had gain issues in WI/MI with the .76 myself + I keep asking them about their decision/solution for you and your Northern counterparts out there, so count on me to keep pressing, I empathize completely. Email tomw@bbinabox.com or call me (502-426-2067 at the office or 502-263-9879 cell after 6pm) as soon as its convenient for you.

I am wondering what signal strength everyone is getting off of the typical 76cm skyway dish, also where you are located.

I am in Batavia NY 14020 and will post my results tomorrow after more testing.

76cm dish - We can barely get anything, will put exact db in tomorrow.
With the birdog I get next to no quality, it just locks, then looses signal, then locks, then looses signal. :confused:

Larger dish that we are Beta testing for skyway - 9.6 DB at best. I will also get the size of that test dish tomorrow for you all. With the birdog the best quality I can get with the larger dish is 36%. :mad:

One of the problems we are having with these larger dishes is that they are only meant to be mounted on a flat surface. If these guys want to compete with the big boys around here they gotta step up to the plate a little bit more. :hungry:

On a lighter note, when the system is installed and working it does work well. The downloads are fast and even with the dial-up out the response is good. I understand that most people are going to want to get internet and not have a house phone, but there are alot of people around here that are intrested in skyway because of the cheap monthly cost. As my father would say "once they get their ducks in a row" it would be a good seller around here, until Wildblue, Hughes, and Starband drop in cost or WiFi/Cell internet drops in cost.

Okay enough for me tonight, Have a good nite all!

Rich

I think i get 11.4 db in florida with birddog and i think the dish is .86 don't qoute me on that