switches and multi-satellite switches

Status
Please reply by conversation.

richyrich

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 2, 2008
dead
I have not seen many multi-sat single lnbf switches that can switch up to 10 and more satellite dishes using only one receiver. Is it available?

My experience with single lnbf switches is they are un-powered; goes to 16 inputs; and chooses the satellite it wants by only powering up one lnbf at a time. What I really want; is to power all the lnbf's with a power supplied outside the box; and then the lnbf's don't get surged on to light them up; they will be on all the time!

I have not seen many multi-sat single lnbf switches that can switch up to 10 and more satellite dishes using only one receiver. Is it available?
STB-->22Khz sw.-->(2)8 x 1 diseqc sw. = 16 LNBF's.
to power all the lnbf's with a power supplied outside the box
Can't think of any advantage, especially for a PLL, but possibly could be used to minimize ' warm up' drift on a DRO.
I've never seen anything like that so you'd have to 'fashion' it yourself.
10 LNBF's, each drawing about 100ma, needs a PS capable of at least 1 amp. 2 amp would leave some 'margin'. PLL's draw more so a power supply capable of 3 or 4 amps leaves some 'margin'. You'll also need diode steered power inserters, so the STB can also insert power, and override the inserted power, to select H polarity.

The advantage is that just one receiver would not have to power anything; and the power to the lnbf's would always be on. What is a powered multi-switch do? The 18/14 vdc are always there on dual lnbf's (and they have 4 or more receivers to power them. What happens when you turn on electricity or off too many times? It breaks things (like light bulbs and lnbf's or switches) because of surges; backfeeding overvoltages overamperages. I can't even buy a SW now; let alone find one that treats lnbf's a little softer. The receivers power, is an always on 18 or 14 vdc; whether it is used or not. But only one is supplied.

Well, there you go, dual output LNBF's hooked to powered multiswitches. Multiswitches to a big 8x diseqc switch then off to the receiver. (yields 16 'positions') Added benefit- got a receiver port at the dishes multiswitchs for tuneups, don't have to unconnect-reconnect any LNBF's.
(think that could work, haven't done anything that exotic)

But that is much costier than just using a motor. And I won't need my Dish Network system anymore. And my dish does not have to move. One dish, every channel I watch is free; ALL SATS. No more monthly fees. And I do not need only 3-5 sats; I need all that have what I watch. (But I do not need SG's either).

So you don't need, or want, anything you've been talking about? :facepalm
Just a single dish, motor and LNBF. That will get it 'all'. That would do it.
As for 'power surges' just do as I do, never turn the STB OFF, just the TV/Monitor gets shut off....

Reactions: Titanium
Well then, if it is on; it really works. And if it is off, it really does not work. And if you lie to yourself that on is better than off; then you are in just such a requirement. You have to break all them switches and all them lnbf's; because if you do not; as your design says, you won't be who sells enough to be there making enough to keep up your image yourself. Then it is because one type stands against the others; and you have dug the grave yourself (for all that buy the single lnbf's that fail and all that buy the switches that fail because the rhetorical failure is the design itself). How many of which are then re-bought? Which parts have always failed because of the surging the design provides to one; but not the other? Why ask why? Why buy a single and switch? And without a motor what will it pick-up off of only one satellite? All that you do not want is to sell ones that break; to those who want all 200 fta channels they can understand; but cannot afford it to break so often? And the pattern is fits to who does sell such system in design; and they only need one sat and those channels? What would you want to sell who? What if it really could pick up Every providers channels; and nobody will sell it because it breaks all the time? What is replacement value of all them C Band dishes with motors; that the providers all sold out; and had their clients destroy the value it had? Where did that value go? My C Band installs lasted 10 years and more; right before my eyes!

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)