Switching from Dish, questions about situation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lord egregious

Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
illinois
Hoping to switch to Directv soon and have a couple questions since nobody I know has Directv so I have no reference on how their receivers work or anything.

Current setup is one HD-DVR and one sd receiver in the basement. The HD-DVR goes up to the main floor to a hdtv and another hdtv but only sd is shown on the second tuner on the second tv. The sd receiver goes up to another tv on the main floor and then up to the second floor to an hdtv but is sd.

My question is what should I look into for getting close to this setup going again. It would be awesome if I could somehow get HD going for the two hdtvs that are currently hooked up sd without spending a ton.

Also what is the dvr multiroom thing? I noticed it is an extra 3 dollars but it seems like that is something I get on dish for free but I could be mistaken.

Thanks for any help, I'll try to post more details if needed.

lord egregious said:
Hoping to switch to Directv soon and have a couple questions since nobody I know has Directv so I have no reference on how their receivers work or anything.

Current setup is one HD-DVR and one sd receiver in the basement. The HD-DVR goes up to the main floor to a hdtv and another hdtv but only sd is shown on the second tuner on the second tv. The sd receiver goes up to another tv on the main floor and then up to the second floor to an hdtv but is sd.

My question is what should I look into for getting close to this setup going again. It would be awesome if I could somehow get HD going for the two hdtvs that are currently hooked up sd without spending a ton.

Also what is the dvr multiroom thing? I noticed it is an extra 3 dollars but it seems like that is something I get on dish for free but I could be mistaken.

Thanks for any help, I'll try to post more details if needed.

I got confused with the ups and downs.

How many tvs do you want HD?

How many STD?

lord egregious said:
3 hdtvs one sd. I actually just spoke to a rep and found out that directv forces every tv to have its on receiver.

If you could handle one HDTV with a STD box then I'd go with the free HD dvr, hd. 2 STD.

If you want 3 hd's and 1 std. HD dvr is 200 and hd is 150(that's what we charge) for that one extra hd.

Every tv needs a rcvr unless mirrored(that topic can be found in another thread)

MRV gives you the option to share playlists among hd rcvrs and record from and HD non dvr using one of the dvr tuners.
Pause live tv on the dvr
Pause a recording in one room and pick it up in another.

I just switched from Dish to Direct. Here's my advice. For 4 TVs get 2 HD DVRs and 2 HD receivers and get MRV. And believe me you aren't getting anything like MRV from Dish. It's awesome. I know one of your TVs is only SD, but you know you'll change it out eventually. All of the HD receivers will be able to see the playlists on the HD DVRs and play the recorded programs from the DVRs.

An HD DVR can only stream content over MRV to 1 other receiver at a time. So if you are watching live TV on HD-DVR#1, and someone is watching a program that was recorded on HD-DVR#1 from one of the other receivers (whether it's one of the HD receivers or the other HD DVR) then HD-DVR#1 is tied up. But someone can access HD-DVR#2's playlist and stream from that instead or they can watch live TV.... so many options. You just have to get used to it.

With 2 DVRs you'd be able to record 4 things at once and watch live TV on one of the HD receivers.

Wow that sounds awesome. I think I'd definitely switching this week. We've had dish for 12 years so it is hard to imagine switching but losing FX made me think of the alternatives.

Thanks for the help.

You get 1 HD receiver and 1 HD DVR for free to start up. You'll need another HDDVR ($199) and another HD receiver ($99).

Oh alright. I skipped on the second dvr and just got another hd receiver and an sd receiver. The sd receiver is for a girls room who watches two hours of tv a week.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts