Switching from Dish to DirecTV... DVR Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

beastridge

Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
I am currently a satisfied Dish subscriber with one Vip622 running my living room and bedroom TVs. I am considering switching to DirecTV, but I am curious about how the DVR works compared to Dish. I am wondering if I should get 1 HR24 with Whole Home DVR or just get two HR24s. Would it be worth the extra $100 bucks to go ahead and get two? What do you folks think? Thanks in advance!

I just switched from Dish to Directv last week, the HR24 is a great receiver and it's similar or slightly better than the 722 I had. We went for the Whole-Home-DVR and we like it very much with the exception of not being able to pause live TV in the bedroom. If that's not important to you, save your money and go for the H24.

On the H24 you can pause, rewind, ff and have all the functions of a DVR on recorded shows but not on live TV. I now want to upgrade at least one of the receivers to an HD-DVR.

I would get 2 HR 24s.

Cost for MRV is $149 and $3 per month, Even if you had to pay $199 for the other HR24 I would rather pay the $50 extra and have the extra receiver. And save on the addtional monthly fee.

I just switched last week

I had a VIP 622 & 722. It controlled 4 tv's.

I now have 1 HD DVR 24 & 2 HD receivers.+ the whole home set up.

This new set up still controls the same 4 sets. The one in the basement mirrors the one in the kitchen, which is also taken outside to my patio to watch Brewer games, etc.

Yes I do have 2 RF remotes which work flawlessly

The DVR as well as the HD receivers are 1/2 the size of the Dish units.

The DVR has much more recording space then the Dish DVR's.

The main reason I switched was the MLB channel. I also agree with other forum contributers in stating that the HD picture is much clearer.

I would highly recommend that you go through a local retailer. That way you will be sure to get the receivers you want.

I have the Choice Extra, HD, & HD extra. My bill will be $62.00.

Hi,
Just switched to Directtv this week. I had a 622 controlling 2 tv's as well and went with the HR24 DVR and 1 HD receiver in the bedroom with the whole house DVR thing. So far, so good. As RandallA says, you can't pause live tv on the regular receiver. I must also say that the 30 second skip (commercial skip) is also a little slower, almost to the point of annoyance. However, having HD in both rooms now instead of dealing with an SD feed in the bedroom is a really nice plus over just having the 622. The extra recording space is also great.
So far, overall, I'm happy with the switch.

To all you guys that switched from Dish, do you like the size of these new HD receivers. The size is just great, I was able to set one of the H24 behind a Samsung LCD. :)

To the OP, I think the current promotion ends today. Take advantage of the second HD-DVR for $99. :)

I would highly recommend that you go through a local retailer. That way you will be sure to get the receivers you want.

Agreed. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I would also get two HR24s. Only a local retailer can guarantee what you will get.

Hi,
I must also say that the 30 second skip (commercial skip) is also a little slower, almost to the point of annoyance.

just curious mij but do you have it set to a 30 second skip or 30 second slip? You can change it to a real skip instead of the slip (super fast forward). I think the DVR are set to slip by default.

To all you guys that switched from Dish, do you like the size of these new HD receivers. The size is just great, I was able to set one of the H24 behind a Samsung LCD. :)

To the OP, I think the current promotion ends today. Take advantage of the second HD-DVR for $99. :)

Yeah could kick myself for not getting a 2nd HR24 but thats ok I will survive.. But yes the size is great and does not take up near as much space as Dish's hardware.

Just be sure it's getting enough circulation.

Just be sure it's getting enough circulation.

Yes, it is. The LCD is not against the wall, it's one of those articulating wall mounts so it has plenty of ventilation. :)

Another thing I noticed about the HD-DVR (HR-24) is that it actually runs cool.

Hands down: get the 2nd DVR.

The $7 DVR fee is per-account, and each receiver is $5/mo whether it is a DVR or a standard receiver, so your monthly costs stay the same either way. The extra $100 up front is absolutely worth it to get 4 tuners to record with.

Hands down: get the 2nd DVR.

The $7 DVR fee is per-account, and each receiver is $5/mo whether it is a DVR or a standard receiver, so your monthly costs stay the same either way. The extra $100 up front is absolutely worth it to get 4 tuners to record with.

If you have the whole house DVR service and have more than one DVR, can you view recordings from one DVR that was recorded on another?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)