Switching from E*, have questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

sppunk

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Harrisburg PA
I've browsed this forum for a while as I've thought of switching to DirectTV since I learned MRV was in beta. A requirement for us, and the only selling point for Dish, is their wonderful MRV set up (and costs cheaper than D* a bit, but I digress).

A few questions I haven't found the answers to in regards to new service for my home. We will need two receivers with MRV capable and I won't be hooking it up to my home network (our internet speed is already restricted with a work computer). One TV is on the second level and the other on the ground level, in opposite corners, but both with existing coax connections (which are in use with Dish Network currently).

1) I'm confused on DECA for MRV. Does that require a dedicated internet connection - ie will I need to possible pay monthly to upgrade my pre-existing ISP or is it self-powered by D*?

2) I plan to use a referral (saving $100), AAA discount and HD For Life (offered as of today), but can't get this form of quote on the web site. Any way I can get a breakdown of costs beyond a year?

3) If I'm kind and offer a bit of incentive, would the D* tech take down my current Dish satellite (4 years old) and modify the pole if needed for the slimline? Due to my house positioning and neighborhood, it's currently in really the only location that can receive a SW view (my house is 3 stories tall ... no way would I get a dish up there). It's currently on my detached garage, at the pivot high point of the roof (mounting brackets on the side).

4) D* runs through coax, right? I really don't want any new wiring installed if I can avoid it. Dish is set up through coax and a splitter on the one receiver sending back into the coax for the 2nd TV to pick up the signal.

5) And lastly, I can have D* installed prior to canceling another service, right? Just in case D* gets here and can't complete an install I'd still have access to TV. :) My house is 5 years old though and the wiring controlled with a panel in a ground-level closet, so I don't see any issues aside from mounting and running the cable down the garage, underground for about 6 feet and up to the box on the back of the hosue.

... that's it, I think. :) I'm switching for MLB Network mostly, plus options for Sunday Ticket maybe and other sports that Dish will never acquire.

Thanks in advance, guys! This forum is a tremendous resource. I apologize if these specific questions have been answered, but I couldn't locate them in my search.

Chris

I'll give a few questions a try.

1) DECA is really just ethernet over coax. Your ISP isn't involved at all unless you want to connect for On Demand. The only cost is the $3/month fee to DirecTV to enable MRV.

3) This is outside of the scope of a DirecTV install, but a couple $$ to the installer would probably help.

4) DirecTV uses coax just like Dish. You indicate that both rooms have coax and if it's RG6 then you should be good. With the SWM install only one line is run from the dish to a splitter which then would connect to the rooms.

5) No reason why you couldn't have both in operation, but then you couldn't use the existing pole or internal coax.

Thank you, jdspencer! You helped clear up a lot of my confusion. :)

I could run a phone line (I'm on DSL) to one of the boxes, but not the other, if need be for OnDemand. It could handle that (as has done for Dish a few times).

Thank you, jdspencer! You helped clear up a lot of my confusion. :)

I could run a phone line (I'm on DSL) to one of the boxes, but not the other, if need be for OnDemand. It could handle that (as has done for Dish a few times).

You won't need a phone line if you go with DECA and connect to your network. The incoming cable from the dish is split via a special SWiM splitter, one line to each receiver. Another cable line from the splitter is run somewhere near your router, and a DECA adapter and power supply is attached. A single ethernet cable runs from the DECA adapter to your router. This gives you internet functionality on all your boxes that have DOD.

You won't need a phone line if you go with DECA and connect to your network. The incoming cable from the dish is split via a special SWiM splitter, one line to each receiver. Another cable line from the splitter is run somewhere near your router, and a DECA adapter and power supply is attached. A single ethernet cable runs from the DECA adapter to your router. This gives you internet functionality on all your boxes that have DOD.
Unfortunately my router isn't near where any TVs are. The router is in an office with no TV and no coax hookup, and moving the router would require moving it upstairs to the opposite corner of the house. :/

3) The DIRECTV installer will put up a new mounting bracket and satellite dish for DIRECTV. They can't modify the DISHNETWORK satellite dish bracket to use for DIRECTV. They might take down the dishnetwork satellite dish and bracket if you ask them to but they usually leave the mounting bracket foot on the roof so it won't cause leaks.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. I'll most likely order in the next week - still debating (I've been with Dish a LONG time ... ).

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. I'll most likely order in the next week - still debating (I've been with Dish a LONG time ... ).

I have one thought as a sports fan: Switching to DTV is a slam-dunk, imo, if you're interested in sports as your primary programming interest. I'm also interested in movies and nat'l channels but DTV satisfies my requirements there as well, acknowledging that Dish appears to be the front-runner with movie channel selections, from what I've read here.

You've probably read this previously, but DTV will be adding additional HD programming as they continue their D12 bird roll-out schedule.

Yeah, that's my reason for switching (sports). Dish is good with movie channels, but with Netflix we really never watch them at all - definitely not a selling point for us. MRV is why I haven't had DirectTV (we won't ever have a system without this Godsend), and with it now available it's just a matter of me taking the step. :)

I am concerned about installing the satellite, as the Dish in the current place I believe is the only place it can go (except for the front porch, and I won't have that!).

Unfortunately my router isn't near where any TVs are. The router is in an office with no TV and no coax hookup, and moving the router would require moving it upstairs to the opposite corner of the house. :/

You don't need a TV in the office, just coax, which DirecTV can run for you. A phone line won't give you DOD, you need internet access. The phone line will only give you caller ID and the ability to order Pay Per View via the receiver.

If you can run a phone line to the DirecTV receiver location you could always move your modem/router there.....

You don't need a TV in the office, just coax, which DirecTV can run for you. A phone line won't give you DOD, you need internet access. The phone line will only give you caller ID and the ability to order Pay Per View via the receiver.

If you can run a phone line to the DirecTV receiver location you could always move your modem/router there.....
Due to where my phone and coax lines run, it's going to be a major pain to run new ones (my phone line with my router is actually in my kitchen, immediately next to my office but two doors leading outside between the rooms).

I could move my router upstairs, but I fear my signal strength down in my office would be greatly negatively impacted. I guess though that's my only choice, as my office has neither a phone nor coax connection.

An update: Called the AAA number tonight and ordered my DirecTV package, and had no problems getting the referral pricepoint either.

I'm paying $29.99 for the first 10 months, $39.99 for the next 10, then $69.99 for the remaining 2 year committment. All that for 2 HD receives (one DVR), MRV, Choice Xtra.

Pretty stoked. Coming Friday for the install - wish me luck (though my house is only 5 years old with Dish currently active, so install shouldn't be too bad). :)

I am also looking to make the switch. Currently my modem and router are in my utility room, which is also the hub where my satellite coax comes in and connects to the different coax cables that go throughout the house. Is this arrangement going to work? It seems like it will from what I have read about the deca adaptor. Just making sure. Nothing worse than having the technician come out and say sorry can't do it. Happened to me last time I tried to get directv. I asked him to leave and called dish right away. Got it installed in 30 mins

I am also looking to make the switch. Currently my modem and router are in my utility room, which is also the hub where my satellite coax comes in and connects to the different coax cables that go throughout the house. Is this arrangement going to work? It seems like it will from what I have read about the deca adaptor. Just making sure. Nothing worse than having the technician come out and say sorry can't do it. Happened to me last time I tried to get directv. I asked him to leave and called dish right away. Got it installed in 30 mins

That location will be perfect. They will most likely install the splitter for the SWiM right there as you have all the cable coming to a central point. After the splitter they will install a Deca adapter there and hook it right to your router.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)