Switching from E* to D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Sweet! I wonder if I should have just ordered SD receivers after my HD-DVR and maybe saved some cash? But I guess I wouldn't have talked him into a free HD-DVR for the second one I ordered..:D

Yea no free HD DVR. I think the SD DVR was the same price as the HD DVR too. If you got an email confirmation, check that. Mine showed HD receiver even though I selected SD.

Picture of my email conf with free HD receiver along with two HD DVRs:

Attachments

• order.JPG
    order.JPG
    8 KB · Views: 96
Sweet! I wonder if I should have just ordered SD receivers after my HD-DVR and maybe saved some cash? But I guess I wouldn't have talked him into a free HD-DVR for the second one I ordered..:D

if you need any extra receivers you order the SD version. They (D*) will change it to a HD receiver. So tehnically if you order a SD DVR you'll get a HD DVR

So I got my Directv installed today. Very happy with my service and will explain the pleasant experience later but am having two problems. I have multi-room viewing and have 2 HR24's and 2 H24's.

For some reason when I try to play something I recorded on the HR24's and play it back on the H24's it gives me a message saying. "Playback failed. No audio/video data packets received from server." What does this mean and how can I fix it for playback?

Also how do you get the "local on the 8's" on the Weather Channel to show your local forecast instead of the national one? Thanks for the help guys.

Ok, forget about the first question about the playback issue. Seems that a red button rest fixed the problem. Could have had to have an update of some sort?

I still would love answer to the Weather Channel question and is there anyway you can choose where you want to record something (ex. living room or bedroom) from the H24's to the HR24's?

For the local...local on the 8s to work on TWC, you have to have been tuned to the channel a minute or a few before Local on the 8s comes on.

Also how do you get the "local on the 8's" on the Weather Channel to show your local forecast instead of the national one? Thanks for the help guys.

There's an option in the menu to change your zip to what you want. I know when you start fresh the receiver shows (maybe) Directv's zip

press the "active" button on remote (right next to guide)
select weather
scroll to change city
scroll down to change home city
enter your zip and press submit

That has weather info too...but the weather on the 8's works only when there isnt a goofy program on weather channel

I think I read something about this before getting Directv installed but I assume you can't have your receiver hooked up to MRV and the internet at the same time? Is there anything you can do so they both will run together?

Ok, another question from the newbie! :p

I have two receivers really close to each other and one is changing channels to the other one. Is there anyway I can change any remote codes or something so they don't conflict with each other?

Ok Ice, maybe I'm missing something here but when I try to program something to av1 or 2 it only gives me an option for a dvd player, audio equipment, vcr, or tv?

How would I go to programming the Directv receiver to work under av1 or 2? I have a HR24 and H24 by the way..

Actually, I changed the receiver address on my H24. I can't remember the exact menu location but it's somewhere in the advanced remote menu and then Multi-Room setup.

Edit:

Menu >> Setup >> System Setup >> Remote Control >> Program Remote >> OK >> Advanced >> Multi-Box Setup >> Dash >> Select Receiver 1 - Receiver 4. Follow the instructions on the screen to program your remote with address: 00001 - 00004.

Last edited:
Actually, I changed the receiver address on my H24. I can't remember the exact menu location but it's somewhere in the advanced remote menu and then Multi-Room setup.

Edit:

Menu >> Setup >> System Setup >> Remote Control >> Program Remote >> OK >> Advanced >> Multi-Box Setup >> Dash >> Select Receiver 1 - Receiver 4. Follow the instructions on the screen to program your remote with address: 00001 - 00004.

That's it RandallA! Thanks for your help! :D

maybe the SD receivers are different as thats how I changed it on my R22 and an old D10 (that I use for OTA only)

Yeah they must be Ice. Thanks for the help anyway. You've been a great help during my "newbie" experience. I'm loving my Directv though. Goodbye Dish! :D Now come on hockey season so I can see all the HD games possible on Center Ice!

Norfolk, VA

ICE, I would like to request your advice and assistance.

I am in Norfolk, VA. I have Dish with a 4 TV setup 722 and a 622. I'm considering switching to DirecTV and thinking of doing 2 HD DVRs with 2 HD receivers. Is this a good option to replace and replicate my setup with Dish? How would this compare?

I read in an earlier post that in MPEG4 areas selecting SD receivers will automatically upgrade to HD receivers. Is this true and does this apply in my area? Should I order a 5th receiver now because I am planning on having a TV setup for my outdoor patio and deck?

The whole home media server setup with DirecTV, how does this work? Will I be able to record on all TVs? What is the recording capacity?

What about feedback and reviews of the internet connection kit for DirecTV?

I have a external hard drive connected to my 722 for extra recording storage, any option similar with DirecTV?

Sorry for all of these questions, I appreciate your time and attention.

Thanks.

I have Dish with a 4 TV setup 722 and a 622. I'm considering switching to DirecTV and thinking of doing 2 HD DVRs with 2 HD receivers. Is this a good option to replace and replicate my setup with Dish? How would this compare?
The HD receivers won't have some of the live DVR functionality that an HD DVR would. You won't be able to pause live programming. MRV only works with recorded content. You can program a recording from a receiver.
I read in an earlier post that in MPEG4 areas selecting SD receivers will automatically upgrade to HD receivers. Is this true and does this apply in my area?
It is true, but it is not true of Norfolk.
Should I order a 5th receiver now because I am planning on having a TV setup for my outdoor patio and deck?
If you want it, you'll need to order it. DIRECTV does not read minds. I suspect that there will be no cost advantage to ordering with initial installation as the promotions typically cover up to four receivers.
The whole home media server setup with DirecTV, how does this work? Will I be able to record on all TVs? What is the recording capacity?
Precious little is known of the HMC as DIRECTV hasn't formally (or even informally) announced its feature set. A similar product was announced several years ago and it never saw the light of day.
What about feedback and reviews of the internet connection kit for DirecTV?
The Internet connection kit is not the same thing as the DECA broadband adapter and they are incompatible. When you order, make sure you tell them that you want your receivers to be connected to the Internet. DIRECTV does not read minds.
I have a external hard drive connected to my 722 for extra recording storage, any option similar with DirecTV?
No. You can replace the internal drive with an external drive but the result is a DVR with an empty drive and no programming scheduled. Unplugging the external drive restores function to the internal drive and nothing is lost. The drive cannot be moved to another HD DVR and if the HD DVR fails, the recordings on the hard drive are lost with it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts