Switching from E* to D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cyclone27

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 22, 2006
Des Moines, IA
After 12 years with E*, I am planning to switch to D*. But I have a couple questions:

1-Can you record more than one program at the same time on the SD DVR?

2-Can/will the installer connect and HD-DVR to an SD TV? I was told they would not do that.

I have two HD TVs & two SD TVs & am just trying to figure out the best set up. I have two 622s hooked up to 4 TVs with E*.

Any input on these questions would be a big help. Thanks.

1. yes you can record 2 items on the DVR at the same time. I do it all the time
2. they should be able to

Just tell them that you are going to upgrade the SDTVs in the future and you wont have a problem.

After 12 years with E*, I am planning to switch to D*. But I have a couple questions:

2-Can/will the installer connect and HD-DVR to an SD TV? I was told they would not do that.

I have two HD TVs & two SD TVs & am just trying to figure out the best set up. I have two 622s hooked up to 4 TVs with E*.

If you want to watch different programming on all 4 TVs, you will need 4 receivers with Direct. You can use two receivers connected to 4 TVs, but the pairs of TVs will only be able to show the same programs on each.

Just my 2 cents here I would Not get any type of SD receivers. I would go head and get HD receivers only even if it's going to a SDTV. Just due to the fact HDTV are cheaper now and it's always good to have HD receivers ahead of time when you do upgrade your Tv's to HD. Also remember this if I'm not mistaken on this to do the MRV you Must have at least HD receivers I do not think it will work on SD Reveivers... Thats what I think someone correct me if I'm wrong on that but another reason to get the latest hardware. Anyway Welcome to Satelliteguys and to the Empire. :)

Thanks to everyone for their input. I think I'm going to go with two HD DVRs & two HD Receivers.

Last edited:
cyc - since (of course) we have NO idea where you're at & can't tell you if this would apply to you... :confused: :rolleyes:

You ARE aware that in MPEG4 local markets, D* automatically installs ALL HD equipment, regardless if you ask for it or not. (either H2x or HR2x receivers) So the moral in these markets is - do NOT ask for your additional receivers (above the first FREE HD units, which everyone gets 1 free HD receiver & 1 FREE HD DVR now) to be HD units, because you'll get charged for the upgrades - even though they all come w/HD standard.

cyc - since (of course) we have NO idea where you're at & can't tell you if this would apply to you... :confused: :rolleyes:

You ARE aware that in MPEG4 local markets, D* automatically installs ALL HD equipment, regardless if you ask for it or not. (either H2x or HR2x receivers) So the moral in these markets is - do NOT ask for your additional receivers (above the first FREE HD units, which everyone gets 1 free HD receiver & 1 FREE HD DVR now) to be HD units, because you'll get charged for the upgrades - even though they all come w/HD standard.

I didn't realize I didn't have my location on my profile. I'm in Des Moines, IA. So I assume this would apply to me.

I do want to make sure to get two HD DVR. So are you saying I should order one HD DVRs, one HD Receiver & just two standard receivers? Then they will upgrade the two standard receivers? Or do I need to order two HD DVRs to make sure I get two? Thanks.

no

The only way you qualify is if all your locals are only on 99 or 103.
Des Moines SD is on 119....HD which is all channels but 23 are on 99W

The installer will put up a slimline 5 LNB for 99/101/103/110/119

actually Greenville IS a MPEG4 only market

Checking the chart I show they were on 72.5 which required a 2nd dish. When they moved the locals to 99W that makes it a MPEG4 only market...there is no SD locals for this market on 101/119...Everything is HD except CW (which looks like a subchannel)

I think you order equipment like normal and the installer makes the change. IE: you want to add a SD only receiver...add it that way and they (Directv) bumps the order up to a HD receiver...stonecold can confirm it and I know there has been some threads on it

Ice, I ordered two HD-DVR's and 2 SD receivers. I had to pay $99 for the extra HD-DVR. Since I can't use SD receivers here, will my price go up?

What is E* anyway? I know of Directv and Dish, and the largest cable operators like Comcast, Time Warner, Charter. I even know of the services offered by Verizon and AT&T. E* is the one I'm never able to figure out. I also don't understand why people censor the names of the providers. Is it a rule on here? I think the names should be written out and they should come up in search results for good things and bad. I have no objections to name dropping. Their reputations are what they are and they should get credit where due. Even when the credit is saying they suck!

I switched to DTV three weeks ago after five years with dish. DTV is a better product and I wish I had switched sooner. Endless issues with promises not kept by CSRs at dish and ultimately the pulling of ESPN News from HD lineup was the last straw.

Ice, I ordered two HD-DVR's and 2 SD receivers. I had to pay $99 for the extra HD-DVR. Since I can't use SD receivers here, will my price go up?

Nope. I purposely ordered an SD receiver because we are HD only. Got the free HD receiver upgrade :)

Nope. I purposely ordered an SD receiver because we are HD only. Got the free HD receiver upgrade :)

Sweet! I wonder if I should have just ordered SD receivers after my HD-DVR and maybe saved some cash? But I guess I wouldn't have talked him into a free HD-DVR for the second one I ordered..:D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)