How to get a HR24

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stonecold

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 23, 2004
Directv La La Land
Stop complaining about how your free HDDVR is not a HR24 it was given to you for FREE. Again I repeat FREE. But I tell you how to get one.

Go to Solid Signal, Dish Store , Weaknees

And go pay 199 and get your hr24.

The end.

We on the phones can not and do not have cany control oer the warehouses or supply chains or even the techs all factors in you getting a HR24 for yet again I point out FREE. You might get lucky and then again you might not. We simply are not gettting them in from factories fast enough. heck I can even order equipment as an employee as customers order take president and we had a over whelming demand for hddvrs and hd boxes since the MRV beta when live.

I dont want to sound mean but at this point we just need a boohoo thread for people who didnt get a hr24.

Stop complaining about how your free HDDVR is not a HR24 it was given to you for FREE. Again I repeat FREE. But I tell you how to get one.

Go to Solid Signal, Dish Store , Weaknees

And go pay 199 and get your hr24.

The end.

We on the phones can not and do not have cany control oer the warehouses or supply chains or even the techs all factors in you getting a HR24 for yet again I point out FREE. You might get lucky and then again you might not. We simply are not gettting them in from factories fast enough. heck I can even order equipment as an employee as customers order take president and we had a over whelming demand for hddvrs and hd boxes since the MRV beta when live.

I dont want to sound mean but at this point we just need a boohoo thread for people who didnt get a hr24.

Same goes for those that are adding on recvrs.

Thats why I ordered mine when I wanted it.
After that point after I had my first one, I took a chance and got one from D* and the installer came out, I said "Thanks for having a HR24", he said thats all they put in in my area now ....:D

Now, I don't know if that means ever, till newer stuff comes out, or if they get a shipment in a month later and it's NOT HR24's, I don't know.

Maybe this is just me but I'm in no hurry to get a HD receiver. I have an HDTV and IMHO for I watch 98% is in SD. So I'm in no hurry. I know it's cool to be on the cutting edge of technology but when there is a demand only so many can be got.

So you guys need to accept what you get or wait till they are in big supply again. By then though there will be something better out there and you'll all want that. And the cycle will repeat :eek:

When everything is in HD then I'll worry about getting it. None of this over compressed lite stuff is true HD anyway.

Maybe this is just me but I'm in no hurry to get a HD receiver. I have an HDTV and IMHO for I watch 98% is in SD. So I'm in no hurry. I know it's cool to be on the cutting edge of technology but when there is a demand only so many can be got.

So you guys need to accept what you get or wait till they are in big supply again. By then though there will be something better out there and you'll all want that. And the cycle will repeat :eek:

When everything is in HD then I'll worry about getting it. None of this over compressed lite stuff is true HD anyway.

Thats interesting ... I think almost EVERYTHING I watch is in HD, there are a few shows that I watch that are not in HD, but the channel is in HD.

IMO D* needs to just phase out the old DVRs. If you order E* now you won't get an old 622 DVR, you'll get a 922. D* has no choice but to give a free DVR, otherwise they'd have no subs

IMO D* needs to just phase out the old DVRs.

I think they are to a certain extent .....
I agree that everything should be newer stuff when you order it, but what happens when you have a warehouse full of HR21's still sitting there.
The manufacture doesn't want them back.

Thats interesting ... I think almost EVERYTHING I watch is in HD, there are a few shows that I watch that are not in HD, but the channel is in HD.

I'm into allot of the older stuff and that's not in HD. Like I said it's probably just me and maybe a handful of others. But HD at least in a lite form is not all that it's cracked up to be. As long as there are bandwidth limitations there can never be a real eye candy picture. I've seen first generation satellite SD and HD on my big dish and when SD first gen looks better than HD lite there is something wrong. The technology is not perfected yet IMHO and will take years to get to that point. Look how long it took NTSC analog to look really nice. That started in the 1980's, before that it looked smeary and the like. What year did NTSC come about? Somewhere in the late 1940's I believe. That's my point.

Directs SD ain't all that bad looking. Actually better than I expected. I can live with it for now. The best part is I'm not really concerned about getting a HR24, 34, 44 or whatever new model comes along. At least not yet ;) maybe someday :)

Dear Mr. Cold, For your information, I did request an HR24. When the tech arrived he told me none were available. I accepted that answer and allowed an installation of the HR21 along with an H24 and a SD receiver. I thought the HR21 would work properly. I did not expect to be told by D* that I was just trying to get a better model by lying about the one I did receive. By the way, Paul, the tech was very professional and did an outstanding job and everything was working when he left my home. Even now I am willing to accept the HR21 but only if I do not have to watch it reset every time I try to record something or wait from 14 to 32 seconds for a channel change. Don't try to tell me the DVR is free. The cost is in there with all the other charges just like the cell phones and E* receivers.

Well you're the perfect example of Directv's wonderful commitment to customers. Let me give you a customer perspective - I've never had satellite and never wanted it. 24 series was finally they game changer. They market something, people like me respond to it, and then we get the garbage that we turned down 3 years ago when considering the switch. And it's not free. There is a lease fee and we're stuck with their service for 2 years. The 21 series has so much lag that I would have been pretty annoyed once being stuck in a contract even if there was no alternative. It's garbage. So the issue is real simple - just give us 30 days to cancel and come get your junk equipment from my house. I realize they have costs putting dishes on the house - but that's not my concern. The cable company had some costs wiring the whole damn town and i have no obgligation to them if their service sucks.

Paying $60 per month for 24 months is not free.

And incase some of you forgot, Even Paying $199 still doesn't make you the owner of the receiver.
Thats just more money in the pocket of D*.

So lets stop with the D* is Hurting by giving us Free equipment Bit.
Its getting rather old.

First off if your forced to pay $199 for any leased receiver, you should NOT be forced into a 24 month Commitment as an exsiting customer.

Even if you Cancel after 1 month D* just got $260 + for providing 1 month of service, and they still got back their receiver.

These receivers are not free. You do not own them. They are leased. You pay every month for these receivers. If your like me and you maybe change service like every 7 or 8 years, that is a substantial amouint of $. So lets say then install an older DVR in my house. I lease it for 8 years. I ended up paying them $480. for that older DVR and in turn I have to return it in the end.

Doesn't sound "Free" to me.

I wonder about power consumption as well. The older one's I am sure use more power which in turn over time is an additional cost to me as well. My current DVR (one of the older ones uses as much power as my fridge does).

So I guess I am one of the winey new subscribers that will not allow them to put older stuff in my house. If you can't give me what you advertise and say your going to when I call to set up service, well. keep on moving. I will keep what I currently have and maybe a year from know they will have their act together enough to provide what they advertise.

Stop complaining about how your free HDDVR is not a HR24 it was given to you for FREE*. Again I repeat FREE*.

*FREE by entering into a 24-month $480 ETF contract.

I'm sorry, but coming from Dish if I didn't get HR24s it would have been a no-go. I don't want to be locked in to a 24-month commitment with decrepit hardware pulled out of the back of a warehouse somewhere. The HR24 vs other HR2x series has significant tangible implications to the daily use and enjoyment of the service.

You're right, you can go out and buy HR24s at $199 a pop. I got 2 of them as part of my install, so I paid $100 total after credits. For a difference of $300 you bet your ass people are going to try and work the system with DirecTV to get them through the installation channels. DirecTV created this problem for themselves by structuring their pricing and lack of equipment selection the way they did.

By the way. Got my H24 and HR24 replacements today. Complaint to Los Angeles BBB had it resolved in a week. My complaint was pretty simple - their website and promotional materials speak of specific equipment, but their policy is that they don't gaurantee specific equipment, which you're not informed of in advance. And that I feel like I was misled. They might promise specific features and not equipment, but where I feel they are promising equipment is the fact that the ad they sent me specifically stated capacity of 100 hours of HD or 400 hours of SD and all other specs aside I am not getting the advertised capacity. The resolution I requested was that they replace with the advertised equipment or kindly release me from my contract with no ETF so that I can go back to cable. About 1 week later I had a voicemail from Directv's "office of the President" (perhaps) restating their policy that they don't garauntee specific equipment, but that they'll swap it out.

I haven't activated the HR24 yet (wife has a show to watch first), but I hooked up the H21. I love that it's significantly smaller and the menus are performing so much better.

Some of us didn't get equipment and come on here and find out there is something better. We saw an ad, knew what we expected, got something different, and came on here to figure out how to resolve it. The 24 series is why I switched and I was pretty excited to become a Directv customer. Waiting 2 weeks for the install added some level of disappointment and getting stuck with low quality equipment was the deal breaker. I'm glad they replaced the equipment because I am likely to be a loyal customer for some time now that I have what I expected. You pay them for service and the equipment, especially leased, should be free. My TV has a digital tuner, it has ethernet connection, etc. I can plug in a cable card and access cable with no problems and get all of the features of Directv except multi room DVR. It's really not my problem that I need equipment to access their service. They provide the equipment, and I pay for the service. Pretty simple. And the menus have been responsive on cable for years for no extra charge!

I haven't activated the HR24 yet (wife has a show to watch first), but I hooked up the H21. I love that it's significantly smaller and the menus are performing so much better.

Sorry. Meant to say hooked up the H24, replacing the H21. Won't let me edit!

I do not watch broadcasts in SD. Commercial stations that want me to see their advertisements better broadcast in HD. If a movie channel wants me to watch a movie, it must be HD. A promoter wants me to watch a sporting event he had better have it in, you guessed it, HD.

Two sides to every coin. :)

I just cant seem to get myself to pull the trigger on an HR24.

$185 pretty much the best we're going to see for now?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/DIRECTV-HR24-Definition-MPEG-4-HR-24/dp/B003LQIQU6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279737452&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: DIRECTV Plus® HR24 High Definition MPEG-4 DVR (HR-24) HD DVR: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31aIpdMJcHL.@@AMEPARAM@@31aIpdMJcHL[/ame]

Status
Please reply by conversation.