How to get a HR24

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Didn't want to start another thread for this question but I was at my sister's house last night and they recently got Directv. I noticed that the front of their dvr was different from mine but when I checked the model # it said H23/700. This is what I have. I got mine back in Sept. of 2009. Are there more than one version of the H23? Also I noticed they had over 100 items in the recorded programs list but still had 75% free space. If I get close to that many shows my hard drive is less than 10%. Do some of the H23s have larger drives?

There are multiple versions of each HR2x series model. Each was designed by a different companies to meet the same functional specifications. As the board layout and cooling methods vary from one to the next, the case design varies also.

Didn't want to start another thread for this question but I was at my sister's house last night and they recently got Directv. I noticed that the front of their dvr was different from mine but when I checked the model # it said H23/700. This is what I have. I got mine back in Sept. of 2009. Are there more than one version of the H23? Also I noticed they had over 100 items in the recorded programs list but still had 75% free space. If I get close to that many shows my hard drive is less than 10%. Do some of the H23s have larger drives?

If they had 100 half hour shows recorded and you record hour shows, that would be a huge difference.
Also, do you know if maybe they have an External Hard Drive, that also would explain it.

I currently have 54 1 hour shows on my HD DVR and a few movies as well and have plenty of room.

It also depends on whether the stuff they recorded was SD or HD, and mpeg2 or mpeg4.

Good point, most of mine is Mpeg2 OTA.
Then again, maybe not, I would have to take a closer look as I forgot, if I record the locals off of D* it's mpeg4 and the OTA is mpeg2.

Does that sound correct, the D* sent signals are mpeg4 as they are coming off the 99 or 103 sat ?

SD mpeg4 will be the smallest, HD mpeg2 will be the biggest. Of course if they mess with the bitrates, and they do, the lines blur a little bit.

Given that SD mpeg4 can be as much as 25% the size of HD mpeg2, its pretty easy to see how one dvr might appear to have a lot more stuff on it than another.

A simple observation. My 100 hour of HD recording capability on my HR24 show that when I delete any one hour HD show, the message shows a 1% gain of available capacity. None of my shows are OTA....I just left DISH. My 622 claimed 30 hours of HD. When I deleted a one hour show, say from the History Channel, I would only gain 20 minutes capacity. When I would delete a one hour show of OTA HD, I would gain a full hour capacity.... So it appeared to me that my 622 would actually have 90 hours of HD programming from DISH and 30 hours of OTA HD...I never kept track of SD recordings.

There are multiple versions of each HR2x series model. Each was designed by a different companies to meet the same functional specifications. As the board layout and cooling methods vary from one to the next, the case design varies also.

Thanks for the info, didn't know this.

If they had 100 half hour shows recorded and you record hour shows, that would be a huge difference.
Also, do you know if maybe they have an External Hard Drive, that also would explain it.

I currently have 54 1 hour shows on my HD DVR and a few movies as well and have plenty of room.

That's a good point. Pretty much all my shows are 1 hour HD and I also have the WW2 in HD series that was on the History Channel a few months back. I believe they are 10 1 hour shows.

So, any ideas on making sure my install has an HR24? The only real suggestion I've seen in here is rescheduling if they arrive without one.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)