Switching from TWC, Have a few technical questions before I make the move...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

soundman5000

Original poster
Oct 26, 2013
Coastal South Carolina
Hi All,
New to the form...
I am considering switching from Time Warner. Hope your folks can help with a few questions.

With my existing Time Warner box I am able to use it with 2 TV's. I have a small 19" LED and a 60" plasma in the same room. I use the HDMI on my 60" and the component ( R, G, B) connected to my small tv and both will work at the same time.
Q.1) Can I do this with the new DTV receivers?

I see on the net that the newest Genie boxes only have a single RCA digital audio out connection. The picture on the website shows that the Genie has both...RCA digital out as well as optical.
Q.2) Can someone tell me... If I order a system now (11/2013) think I will get both digital audio outs?

That brings me to my 3rd question regarding audio...
In one room I use a high end 2 ch audio system ( not surround sound) and my high end DAC will only take PCM based audio not 5.1 and such.
Q.3) Can someone verify that the new DTV receivers will output PCM digital audio format?

Q.4) Think the HD is better than TWC?
Thanks for any help you can give me...

Last edited:
2) I'd not count on it. Granted I did not look at the back of mine, it seems Directv just removed them randomly even though pics you see online show differently.

3) You can choose DD or PCM in the menu

4) This varies because cable varies among markets, where satellite is consistent. All I can say is that I have a pro calibrated plasma (65") and Directv looks quite good IMO.

:welcome to Satelliteguys soundman5000!

All outputs are live all the time. They show the same programming though.

Q2's answer depends on if you get a hr34 or hr44 with your install (which is basically a flip of a coin, depends what is on the installers van that day) the 34s only have digital coax, the 44s have optical and digital coax. I would have to double check if different manufacturers of the 44 vary with which audio outputs are available. I will tell you for certain however that the hr34 ONLY has a digital coax and no optical output.

To answer the next question probably in your mind, no you can not request only a 44 to be installed. Well you can... but if the installer only has 34s available the only thing you can do is reschedule your install for another day and hope the next guy has 44s. And this is assuming your market warehouse has them in stock. They come and go. And there is no way you can check if they are instock either. Sorry and good luck :)

Chip answered Q1, but just to recap the answer is yes.

You can guarantee an HR44 vs. HR34, but you have to order the receiver from a retailer like Solid Signal or Weaknees that will ship it directly to you. Sometimes people have luck going to DirecTV and ordering a new system from a retailer so they guarantee the model and then getting a credit (because you won't get a "free" Genie by ordering from a retailer). However if you just order directly from DirecTV it's a total crap shoot which receiver you'll get.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts