Switching from Wally to Hopper 3 Setup with Winegard Tra'vler?

reubenray

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 30, 2018
Bella Vista, Arkansas
After taking an extended trip in our RV I am thinking of switching to a Hopper 3 to replace the Wally. The Wally has restrictions on what we can watch and record that the Hopper 3 should not. But I need to verify what I have to buy and do. I will also be using a tripod setups sometimes. One of my main reasons for using the Wally at first is the Hopper 3 would not fit in my entertainment center. From what I understand it is best to unplug it along with the DPH42 while traveling. Being this is the case I would have the Hopper 3 on my steering wheel when stopped like I did with the Directv receiver. When traveling I would put it on the bed. My setup will only be using a single Hopper 3 and no Joeys. My video setup allows me to watch the same show on all three TVs.

One key question is will I be able to pause/unpause my service like I am doing with the Wally?

Below is what I figured I would need to buy.

1) Hopper 3
2) DPH42
3) DPH LNB's for both Eastern and Western arcs. I would like to confirm that I have to replace these instead of using the DPP LNB's I already have.

Why not just add an EHD to the Wally, turning into a DVR so you can watch and record at the same time? Or do you normally record more than 1 show at the same time?

After taking an extended trip in our RV I am thinking of switching to a Hopper 3 to replace the Wally. The Wally has restrictions on what we can watch and record that the Hopper 3 should not. But I need to verify what I have to buy and do. I will also be using a tripod setups sometimes. One of my main reasons for using the Wally at first is the Hopper 3 would not fit in my entertainment center. From what I understand it is best to unplug it along with the DPH42 while traveling. Being this is the case I would have the Hopper 3 on my steering wheel when stopped like I did with the Directv receiver. When traveling I would put it on the bed. My setup will only be using a single Hopper 3 and no Joeys. My video setup allows me to watch the same show on all three TVs.

One key question is will I be able to pause/unpause my service like I am doing with the Wally?

Below is what I figured I would need to buy.

1) Hopper 3
2) DPH42
3) DPH LNB's for both Eastern and Western arcs. I would like to confirm that I have to replace these instead of using the DPP LNB's I already have.
You would need either the DPH42 or DPH LNBs not both.

Why not just add an EHD to the Wally, turning into a DVR so you can watch and record at the same time? Or do you normally record more than 1 show at the same time?

I have that now and we are recording the max (2) now with the Dish. The main issue with it a lot the shows get the end cut off when another recording starts.

Reactions: HipKat and TheKrell
You could use a DPH42 for the Trav'ler's DPP LNB, and a DPH LNB on the tripod dish. There's no need to unhook the DPH42 while underway. Securely installed there's no need to unhook the H3 either, but in your case that's apparently not an option anyway.

I use the DPH42 with the stock Trav'ler's DPP LNB. Just power everything off when traveling (in 5th Wheel trailer). You have to have three cables from the Trav'ler to the DPH42. The power supply for the DPH42 is located with my Hopper3, so when the H3 is powered off, so is the DPH42 power injector.

Thanks, for the replies back. One question I have not got answered is "can I pause my service like I do with the Wally now"? I estimated that it would cost between $400 to $450 to make this switch. This is for a Hopper 3, a DPH42, an Eastern arc DPH LNB and a Western arc DPH LNB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)