Switching to Direct TV

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Girevik said:
Okay - after doing some looking around, I guess here's my bottom line: I'd probably be willing to pay $850 for the HD-TiVo (or $899 for it with a 5-year waranty from ValueElectronics - still need to decide if I want the waranty), but I don't want to get burned by it coming down to like $600 the middle of next month.

Does anyone have any kind of educated opinion on how soon and how much the price might be coming down?

If I had to bet I'd say that it won't be going down in price anytime in the near future. D*'s still selling their HD STB's for around $300 while E*'s just about giving their away. And if D* was worried about E* stealing folks with the 921 deal I would have thought that they'd already would have lowered the price.

Okay - I figured out D*, and would have gotten V* if I'd seen it. I THOUGHT E* might be Dish, but I couldnt' figure out where the 'E' came from - thought maybe there was another provider out there I hadn't looked at.

E* doesn't have a HD-DRV, do they?

Any other opinions on whether the HD-TiVo will drop in price any time soon?

Girevik said:

Yes they do, it's called the 921 and E*'s having a sale on them now. Before you buy check out this site and the www.dbstalk.com web sites for comments/issues/problems with the 921.

If it's important to you, the 921 has only one OTA tuner in it vs. the HR10-250's two OTA tuners.

I thought the 5 yr. extended warranty adds value as the box is $900. and we have had a fairly high incidents of HDMI and hard drive failures.

Most of my customers love the T-shirt. We purchased high-end 100% soft cotton combed shirts and imprinted them with a 6 color custom HD TiVo logo and also include them with every HR10-250 purchase.

-Robert

Girevik said:
Yeah - that's the whole problem!! I've had TiVo for several years now, and bought a HD TV about a year ago. I LOVE HD, but it drives me nuts that I actually have to watch the shows when the network broadcasts it!! Or even worse, if I can't watch it when it's on then I need to watch it in crappy "regular def" on TiVo (I can't help but watch it thinking "man, I'll be that shot looked awsome in HD").

But, we also just had our 3rd child a couple of weeks ago and I'm a cheap b@stard, so I have trouble plunking the $900 down. I just know that if I do they'll be $399 in march! I've got a big check coming in January for a bunch of vacation I didn't use this year - I'm trying to justify using that for the TiVo.

Anyone want to by a used standalone TiVo for $900? That would make my decision a lot easier!! :D

Just had the 3 rd kid, i know its old but ill give you a rca dtc 100. just pay shipping from NJ

Girevik said:
Okay - I figured out D*, and would have gotten V* if I'd seen it. I THOUGHT E* might be Dish, but I couldnt' figure out where the 'E' came from - thought maybe there was another provider out there I hadn't looked at.

Any other opinions on whether the HD-TiVo will drop in price any time soon?
just a note i see you are looking at tivo hd but in the event you want it , i will give you an rca dtc 100 its old but works flawlessly

That's deffinately a consideration, and if I DO buy I'm leaning towards going that route. I'm thinking the 5-year waranty may well be worth the extra $50 ($849 is the best deal I've found elsewhere).

That won't make me any happier if the price drops to $600 in the middle of January! :) I know, I'm just paranoid.

if you keep looking ahead 3 months for the lowest price or what it might be you are in the wrong hobby girevik. nothing stays the same long term in this hobby/lifestyle/job

stevesmall said:
if you keep looking ahead 3 months for the lowest price or what it might be you are in the wrong hobby girevik. nothing stays the same long term in this hobby/lifestyle/job

I agree wholehartedly. I'm only looking ahead 3 weeks, though :) . I'm just paranoid that after Christmas they'll say "All the gift buying is done, and anyone who would have paid $1,000 has done so. Let's cut the price!" I know - I'm being paranoid but I'm CHEAP!

Besides, I'm not sure I'm "in" the hobby. I just love my Tivo. I love my HD-TV. I REALLY want to be able to record HD on my TiVo!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts