switching to direct

Status
Please reply by conversation.

larryf

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
Texas
I am currently with Dish and I have a 622 and two 211k's feeding 3 hdtv's and 1 sd tv. I would like to switch to Direct with whole house mvr service. What equiptment would I need and what would it cost to switch? I have the top 200 package with the sports package and would like something comparable. Also would it be better to call Direct tv or someone local when ordering. My sister has Direct and I would use her for refereal. I currently pay $87.00 a month. How would Direct compare price wise? thanks.

go to directvs website and setup a system
i recommend 2 hd-dvr and 2 hd units, you must have hd unit for mrv

if you want to us a referral you must call the directv number from the adds
you can most likely get a similar price from dishstore (i got a $100 rebate instead of $10 a month for 10 months)

base brice for choice ultimate is 70.99
ad in mrv, dvr for $10
then $6 per reciver over 1 $18
so thats @ 99.99 a month
you can save $5 by dropping to the next lower package
also there will be credits for the first 6 months or maybe 12

up front cost will be @ $200 for the recievers i mentioned

I got D* on January 24 and I have 1 HR24 DVR, HR24 receiver and 1 SD receiver, whole house recording (HD only, SD not applicable). I have Choice Ultimate (68.99 less 29.00 for 12 months). I also have a 10.00 referral credit for 10 months. My bill is 53.17/month (plus 1.18 tax) and I had no upfront costs for installation or any of the equipment. I also got a 180.00 card for Costco under their promotion. When my 12 months are up, my bill should be ~ $96.17 (plus tax).

I believe AAA has (or had) a promotion of ~ 10.00/month for ~ 20 months, but that couldn't be combined with the Costco deal and you would lose 5.00/month off the 29.00/month D* discount (internet order portion).

I ran the numbers and I actually save $ over the first 5 years under my deal and have a commitment of only 2 years. I also gain the MLB channel and full time HD RSN broadcasts as well as far more HD broadcasts in the NHL Center Ice Package.

One thing on the equipment...get everything you think you might need NOW...or you'll pay for it in the long run ;)

Larry....what part of Texas are you in? I'll explain later (and might be able to save some money) ;)
Also you'll get FSN SW & FSN SW+ in HD. I know I've posted one night where FSN SW, SW+, Houston and an alt channel all had Texas sports and all were in HD :)

Iceberg. I am in Abilene. Have been thinking of switching to Direct for the full time RSN's . Spent a week with friends with Direct tv and was impressed. Any info appreicated.

OK youre in luck. Here is why I asked

In some markets the locals are only in MPEG4. Abilene is one of them. You get in HD the Big 4. CW, My, KCPB and PBS are in SD. (PBS is national feed)

Since the nets are only in MPEG4 (and on one of the HD sats) you get all HD equipment regardless if you ask for HD or SD equipment. What folks have done in the past when ordering is anything above and beyond the free equipment is they order the SD version of the equipment (which is cheaper) and they get the HD version at install for the price they paid for the SD.

So if you go with 2 DVR's and 2 receivers order it as such
1st DVR is free (if you get Choice Xtra or higher)
2nd DVR will be $99
3rd and 4th if you get receivers order SD receivers. They are free and when the installer comes out they will upgrade them to HD receivers for FREE (because the only way to see your locals is via the HD receiver) and be able to use the MRV

Last edited:
Iceberg, what about for Houston Area. We are actually in Spring just outside of The Woodlands/ If I order SD receivers, will I receive HD when they install? And is PBS local or a national feed?

Thanks Ice

Houston SD channels are on 101 as are most major areas. Its only the newest markets that are added that might be HD only

Easiest way to look is this. On the Directv site put in your zip. If the Big 4 networks are under HD tab only, they are **probably** MPEG4 only markets. But if all the nets (or most of them) are under the SD list too then if you order SD receivers then you'll get SD receivers

Most markets receive their local PBS. The only ones who dont are markets where PBS is not in the market. In the OP's location (Abilene) cable gets it imported from Dallas.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts