Switching to DirecTV - Questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

lanman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
I will be switching from Dish to DirecTV soon and I have a couple of questions. I really would appreciately any info you could provide.

1. I need to replace 1 HD DVR and 3 SD DVRs. Do they have a switch that will allow me to use both tuners in all four receivers? If so, what is the model number of the switch? Are the SWMs available yet?
  2. What DVR and receiver fees would DirecTV charge me for the 1 HD DVR and 3 SD DVR setup?
  3. Does DirecTV do the local map down for the HD channels like Dish? (In other words local channel 8 in HD would appear in the guide as channel 8)
  4. I know that the new HR21-700 is coming out soon and it sounds like it is just a redesign not an upgrade (Faster processor, more memory, new features, etc). Is there something that I am missing that would make it worth waiting HR21-700? Anybody know the approximate street date?

Thank you!!!

1. Yes and No
2. $15 for 3 extra receivers. $5.99 DVR fee and $9.99 HD access fee.
3. Yes
4. Some say they are available now. You would pay more for it because you would have to buy retail in order to have a choice. Someone should be writing a review on it pretty soon as soon as more people get their hands on one.

1. The switch is the SWM, but it is not out yet. They say sometime in 4Q. You might want to wait until it is released if you don't want to run 2 coax lines per DVR to take advantage of each tuner and possible a third coax run for OTA. FYI, the OTA tuners only need 1 coax run, but it is split internally so you can watch one live OTA show and record a second or record 2 at the same time.

2. I believe joed32 is correct in his fees listing. However, he doesn't note that unlike E*, the DVR fee is not per receiver. It covers all of your DVRs in the household. Also, the HD access fee is currently $9.99, but there will be an additional $4.99 fee in December for channels that don't have SD equivalents (like HDNet, HDNet movies, Smithsonian HD, HD Theater and MGM HD.)

3. Yes, D* does remap the channels to their recognizable network number.

4. HR21 seems to be very much like an HR20-100 feature wise, but is lacking OTA tuners. Also looks like it comes in black. Slightly larger hard drive too (300GB VS 320GB), but that appears to be the extent of the functional difference.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts