Switching to Dish Sling Questions

Phonger

Original poster
Apr 25, 2009
MN
Hey I'm probably jumping ship from Comcast to Dish and the Hopper system. I have a couple questions:

1. With Sling i've read you can only have one device use the sling upload. Is this correct? And is it only one device with live TV? or could I have simultaneous devices of say DVR and On Demand? if I get two hoppers, does that give me more sling connections?
2. Again with sling, am i controlling a tuner? or like Sling systems of the past I am actually controlling the box? I travel alot for work and wouldnt want to be disturbing my household tv viewing at home.
3. With Sling, if I'm inside my network does it automatically give me the best resolution? or am I still going out to the internet then back in?
4. With the Dish Anywhere app does it work with Airplay? also is it a video feed or airplay mirroring?
5. How well does the Hopper work as a DLNA client? I've read up briefly on this, but i guess i haven't even seen screenshots. Any specific links to see how to setup/work?

Also just quickly, the sports package or HBO those are not tied to a contract correct? so if I wanted to the get sports pack just for the football season i can do that without it impacting my contract or ability to upgrade etc?

Thanks!

Hey I'm probably jumping ship from Comcast to Dish and the Hopper system. I have a couple questions:

1. With Sling i've read you can only have one device use the sling upload. Is this correct? And is it only one device with live TV? or could I have simultaneous devices of say DVR and On Demand? if I get two hoppers, does that give me more sling connections?
2. Again with sling, am i controlling a tuner? or like Sling systems of the past I am actually controlling the box? I travel alot for work and wouldnt want to be disturbing my household tv viewing at home.
3. With Sling, if I'm inside my network does it automatically give me the best resolution? or am I still going out to the internet then back in?
4. With the Dish Anywhere app does it work with Airplay? also is it a video feed or airplay mirroring?
5. How well does the Hopper work as a DLNA client? I've read up briefly on this, but i guess i haven't even seen screenshots. Any specific links to see how to setup/work?

Also just quickly, the sports package or HBO those are not tied to a contract correct? so if I wanted to the get sports pack just for the football season i can do that without it impacting my contract or ability to upgrade etc?

Thanks!

1. One device can remotely view from a receiver at any given time.

2. You use a tuner but do not have full box control like a stand alone slingbox. You can view live tv or dvr events and after you choose what you want to view, it pulls a tuner for you to use.

3. It does not stay internal, it must connect to the online sling server then to your pc or device.

4.i have seen the dish remote access app work on air play, not sure about the new app.

5. It works fine with compatible media formats. I've previously posted the compatible DLNA media types on another thread.

No, program changes do not cause a contact extension.

- When you use sling it will use one of the available tuners or you can access a DVR recroded show. If you have a second Hopper with Sling you would be able to watch another show the same way. They would be separate devices though.
- You would be contolling a tuner. Think of it as just another TV in your house watching from a Joey.
- Still goes through the internet.
- Not sure but I think I've heard that it doesn't.
- Not sure
- Yes but you may be required to have a certain level of programming such as the AT120 plus for the multi-sports pack

Thanks!

Answers are under the questions.

I can vouch that while inside my local network, it does give the best resolution possible. It still requires an internet connection to connect to the sling server, but it uses the internal network to actually stream. I have a 512k upload connection to the internet, and if I am viewing it outside my network I usually see about +/- 300 kbps, when I am inside my network, I am seeing +/- 3000 kbps while streaming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts