Status
Please reply by conversation.

slacker9876

Professional Amatuer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 20, 2004
Spokane, WA
So I have a little issue. I have one run into my house, stucco and Comcast Internet and DirecTV. Since I cannot fight off NFLST, and I can't get DSL over 1.5Mbps can I run my Internet and DirecTV off the same wire?

raoul5788 said:
No, I don't think it can be done.

I was afraid of that ... I can do what I did before which is run the Internet off another cable, through the garage and down over Ethernet to my firewall and servers. I just have no way to get another RG6 run into my basement. Guess that is what I'll need to do if I want to see all my Bronco games this year ... Lol, not that I'll want to see all of them :)

look into active diplexors, not sure if they actually work, but i can confirm that a regular 2A Holland diplex will not work with a swm setup. You can however run legacy signal and comcast together, i do it all the time, but its little help since thats only one tuner. more useful with dish network installs.

IIRC, the swm signals and cable are close enough in frequency to cause problems.

IIRC, the swm signals and cable are close enough in frequency to cause problems.

The B band signals are too.

It's really not that hard to drill another hole. The easiest way is if there's a rental yard near you, rent a hammer drill (also called a rotary hammer) for an hour and a 1/2" hammer bit in whatever length you would need to get through the wall. It's loud, but it only takes a few minutes. You can also buy a hammer drill for about $100 at Home Depot if you so choose. I bought one for myself because my entire house is poured concrete and brick. Whatever you do though don't try using a masonry bit in a regular drill, you'll just burn up the bit.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips all. I think I'll have an electrician out to see if they can get another run into the basement. My southern exposed garage can get pretty warm during the summer, but I did do that for a year. May as well get it right since I'll be in this house for a good 30-50 years :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts