SWM + DECA Cinema and VOD issues in certain room

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jragan

Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
Fort Worth, Texas
Hello everyone,
long time lurker, first time poster here looking for some insight/help.

We just bought a house that had a pre-SWM DirecTV setup that we immediately replaced with a new SWM setup. The broadband DECA is inserted at the first/main 8-way splitter. From there, one line gets split again to two with one going to the LivingRoomDVR (HR34) and the other going to the BedRoomDVR (HR24). Both DVRs can see eachother, both claim to have an internet connection, and both can browse Cinema and PPV.

The problem is that the BedRoomDVR (HR24) can't purchase Cinema or PPV (says you have to call or text).

Now when we first put in the system, we didn't have the HR34 so the HR24 was originally in the living room and it had no problem purchasing Cinema and PPVs. At that time we had an H25 receiver in the bedroom that exhibited the same issues the HR24 is also now showing in the bedroom.

So why is it that any box in the bedroom can't purchase?

Thanks!

have you seen if your ppv $ limit is set on the box also a call to dtv might fix as i have seen strange bugs come up from time to time.

The 2 splitters is not a normal install and is not supported but works. Its best to use a smaller splitter like one 2 way and then another 2 way to feed 3 boxes and not an 8 way to 2 way for 3 boxes even if extra ports are terminated you will have a larger drop in signal then using 2 2ways. But i dont think this is your issue.

Thanks for responding. While poking around yesterday I remember seeing a limit, but it was well above the cumulative of what we've ever ordered since living here. So can I confirm that this is not expected behavior and that the HR24 and H25 should both have been able to purchase PPVs from the bedroom?

So a friend of mine who does home theatre installs (who loves DirecTV but had never heard of a problem like mine before) just let me know that he has a client that is having very similiar problems as I am and DirecTV is telling the guy that there is potentially a problem with the coax somewhere such that when combined with the SWM power inserter, a short is caused on the line. The problem I have, though (and aparently he has the same problem), is that the room in question is on the far side of the house and there is no way to re-run coax. Does this sound like a legit problem and does anyone have any alternative solutions and/or ideas?

sure it sounds legit. there is ALWAYS a way to re-run cables of any type.

"problem is that the BedRoomDVR (HR24) can't purchase Cinema or PPV (says you have to call or text)." call DirecTV and tell them you need that box setup to allow remote ordering. they will get the number of it and set it up.

PPV on channels 125 & up require a phone line.

On Deand & Cinima + download off the internet.

Did you try swaping splitters? & reseting the receiver even though it says "connected to internet"

If had them not DL even though they say "connected, until I reset.

Also you could swap receivers & see if the prob. follows.

Hi,

Are all of the splitters the Green Swm Splitters? If they are, that is the problem the green splitters have a filter (similar but not as strong as the red bandstop filter) that filters out and does not pass MRV/Decca signal. The filter is there so that mrv communications don't flood your swm switch/lnb with such a strong reverse RF signal from the decca adapter. Through field experience I have found an issue where when daisy-chained these green swm splitters can filter out the decca signal so well that the boxes can't see each other and/or the internet. the second splitter should be switched to a NON Green lable MFH2/SWM splitter (our part# SWS2) this one does not have the filter, and will let your boxes talk again. Contrary to Directv's instructions to their installers, There should only be one Green SWM splitter in any standard residential installation and that is the one closest to the SWM switch/lnb.

The other thing that can mess with a swm install is Diplexors. if there are any diplexors PM me for a solution.

I hope this helps.
Chip

Hope this helps

PATECO said:
Hi,

Are all of the splitters the Green Swm Splitters? If they are, that is the problem the green splitters have a filter (similar but not as strong as the red bandstop filter) that filters out and does not pass MRV/Decca signal. The filter is there so that mrv communications don't flood your swm switch/lnb with such a strong reverse RF signal from the decca adapter. Through field experience I have found an issue where when daisy-chained these green swm splitters can filter out the decca signal so well that the boxes can't see each other and/or the internet. the second splitter should be switched to a NON Green lable MFH2/SWM splitter (our part# SWS2) this one does not have the filter, and will let your boxes talk again. Contrary to Directv's instructions to their installers, There should only be one Green SWM splitter in any standard residential installation and that is the one closest to the SWM switch/lnb.

The other thing that can mess with a swm install is Diplexors. if there are any diplexors PM me for a solution.

I hope this helps.
Chip

Hope this helps

Blue label splitter won't pass the correct frequencies at all times to hold the data packets in an MRV set up. How would swapping 1 approved for MRV splitter for a non-approved MRV splitter fix the issue? And diplexing SWM? What would you diplex? SWM runs the same frequency as cable so what how would you diplex it? If you want an off-air hooked up use a swm8 or 16

Blue label splitter won't pass the correct frequencies at all times to hold the data packets in an MRV set up. How would swapping 1 approved for MRV splitter for a non-approved MRV splitter fix the issue?

I am not talking about the Blue lable splitter. I am talking about the Directv Approved SWS2, SWS4, and SWS8 splitters. SWS SWM Splitter Spec Sheet here is a picture of the SWS4

SWM-4-WAY.jpg

And diplexing SWM? What would you diplex? SWM runs the same frequency as cable so what how would you diplex it? If you want an off-air hooked up use a swm8 or 16

This is how. You can use SWM and MRV compliant Diplexors SWM CATV MRV Diplexoer Spec Sheets and here is a picture.

gw_SD_SWMD1.jpg

There is also a swm diplexor with mrv/Deccca filtering called the SD SWMD3. This model provides MRV isolation with the same sort filtering that is in a green lable SWM splitter so it will cut out a chunk of your cable channels. most helpful if your are providing an analog/digital headend alongside a SWM MDU installation. In this case you would be avoiding the MRV frequencies (475 - 625 MHz) when designing your headend channel lineup.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]So since I started this thread, I've:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Removed the green-label MSPLIT4R1-02 that was splitting after the main SPLIT8Z to the HR34(living) and HR24(bed).[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Hooked up direct lines to the HR34(living) and HR24(bed) from the main SPLIT8Z.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Plugged in the phone line to all the boxes.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Red-Reset-Button to the HR34(living) and HR24(bed).[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Called DirecTV CSR who told me that DVRs have to "dial home" periodically to record purchases and that the HR24 hadn't done this since I moved it. She stated she would force it to dial home but that it could take up to 24 hours.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]New HD guide pushed to the HR24(bed) and H25(upstairs).[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]
Current Status:
[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]It's several days later and the HR24(bed) that was working fine when it was originally in the living room is still exhibiting the same issues (i.e. can't purchase anything because the menu option to do so on the info screen of any PPV-type program is missing)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]The H25(upstairs) which was originally in the bedroom and exhibiting the same problems the HR24(bed) while there, is now operating properly (can order PPVs, etc).[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]I know the coax lines to the HR34(living) and H25(upstairs) are newer, but I have no idea what the status (or if their are additional splits, joins, etc) of the coax is going to the HR24(bedroom) where all the problems are ocurring.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]If I force the HR24(bed) to perform a network connection test, it comes back with: "The (DirecTV Mediashare Renderer) receiver has a reduced network performance.[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]
      [/FONT]
      [FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Diagnostic Code: 48-683"[/FONT]

Last edited:
[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]So since I started this thread, I've:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Removed the green-label MSPLIT4R1-02 that was splitting after the main SPLIT8Z to the HR34(living) and HR24(bed).[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Hooked up direct lines to the HR34(living) and HR24(bed) from the main SPLIT8Z.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Plugged in the phone line to all the boxes.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Red-Reset-Button to the HR34(living) and HR24(bed).[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Called DirecTV CSR who told me that DVRs have to "dial home" periodically to record purchases and that the HR24 hadn't done this since I moved it. She stated she would force it to dial home but that it could take up to 24 hours.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]New HD guide pushed to the HR24(bed) and H25(upstairs).[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]
Current Status:
[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]It's several days later and the HR24(bed) that was working fine when it was originally in the living room is still exhibiting the same issues (i.e. can't purchase anything because the menu option to do so on the info screen of any PPV-type program is missing)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]The H25(upstairs) which was originally in the bedroom and exhibiting the same problems the HR24(bed) while there, is now operating properly (can order PPVs, etc).[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]I know the coax lines to the HR34(living) and H25(upstairs) are newer, but I have no idea what the status (or if their are additional splits, joins, etc) of the coax is going to the HR24(bedroom) where all the problems are ocurring.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]If I force the HR24(bed) to perform a network connection test, it comes back with: "The (DirecTV Mediashare Renderer) receiver has a reduced network performance.[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]
      [/FONT]
      [FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Diagnostic Code: 48-683"[/FONT]

With the changes you have made, where in your distribution is the Deca Home media adapter installed? Have you tried an SWS8 instead of the SPLIT8Z?

SWS-8_zoom.jpg

Here is the setup I have:
Code:
[FONT=courier new]SL3-SWM
  |-BSFR1-01
      |-PI-21
          |-SPLIT8Z
              |-Out 1 (Power-Passing) --> Terminated
[FONT=Courier New]              |-[/FONT]Out 2 (Power-Passing) --> HR34(Living)
[FONT=Courier New]              |-[/FONT]Out 3 --> H25(Upstairs)
[FONT=Courier New]              |-[/FONT]Out 4 <--> DECABB1MR01-01 <--> ASUS Router <--> Motorola CableModem <--> Internet
[FONT=Courier New]              |-[/FONT]Out 5 --> Terminated
[FONT=Courier New]              |-[/FONT]Out 6 --> Terminated
[FONT=Courier New]              |-[/FONT]Out 7 --> Terminated
[FONT=Courier New]              |-[/FONT]Out 8 --> ??? --> HR24(Bedroom)[/FONT]
I added the ???s between Out 8 and the HR24(Bedroom) because I'm using an existing coax and I have no idea what else may be on the line in between (joins, splits, etc).

I don't have an SWS8 available to me currently...

Here is the setup I have:
Code:
[FONT=courier new]SL3-SWM
  |-BSFR1-01
      |-PI-21
          |-SPLIT8Z
              |-Out 1 (Power-Passing) --> Terminated
[FONT=Courier New]              |-[/FONT]Out 2 (Power-Passing) --> HR34(Living)
[FONT=Courier New]              |-[/FONT]Out 3 --> H25(Upstairs)
[FONT=Courier New]              |-[/FONT]Out 4 <--> DECABB1MR01-01 <--> ASUS Router <--> Motorola CableModem <--> Internet
[FONT=Courier New]              |-[/FONT]Out 5 --> Terminated
[FONT=Courier New]              |-[/FONT]Out 6 --> Terminated
[FONT=Courier New]              |-[/FONT]Out 7 --> Terminated
[FONT=Courier New]              |-[/FONT]Out 8 --> ??? --> HR24(Bedroom)[/FONT]
I added the ???s between Out 8 and the HR24(Bedroom) because I'm using an existing coax and I have no idea what else may be on the line in between (joins, splits, etc).

I don't have an SWS8 available to me currently...

I tried swapping the SPLIT8Z for the MSPLIT4R1-02 I had removed earlier from downstream and the only change is that the HR24(Bedroom) is now passing its Network System Tests (but it still cannot purchase PPVs/VODs/Cinema).

This may be a longshot,but if you haven't already,or if this hasn't been mentioned already,go to parental controls in the settings section of your HR24. Check what is red lighted in that section & green light them if you aren't using parental controls to limit what your children are watching.This section is also where you set your spending limits for PPV. Check this out if you haven't already.

Last edited:
Finally got a resolution. Ran a new coax line from the main splitter to the bedroom and now the HR24(Bedroom) is acting proper (can now purchase VOD/PPV/Cinema). Thanks everyone for your input along the way!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Non-responding receiver after using Pandora

H24,25 Remote controls

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)