SWM Dish Connecting to r16 300 Receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

spradley007

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2013
United States
Hello,
I am replacing my old POS dish with a SWM (3 lnb) dish. My question is this:

1. Do i need to have the PI hooked up to aim it?

2. I saw some older information (2010) where people were having issues updating this receiver to allow SWM. My receiver has an input labeled "SWM" and I don't have the old dish to do any updating... do I just hook it up and reset my receiver and it will autodetect SWM?

Right now, the only menu that my receiver will let me access (there is no SAT hooked up) is the signal meter stuff. I can't select a SAT or anything like that.

?Thanks in advance!

1. Do i need to have the PI hooked up to aim it?
Absolutely!
2. I saw some older information (2010) where people were having issues updating this receiver to allow SWM. My receiver has an input labeled "SWM" and I don't have the old dish to do any updating... do I just hook it up and reset my receiver and it will autodetect SWM?
The issues you speak of were with the H20s and other receivers that didn't support SWiM at launch. Back then, SWiM was known as FTM and the receivers were marked as such. This is not a problem with the R16.

It should configure itself for SWiM, but if you go back you'll have to change it back manually.

Great thanks! And as for the PI, should i plug it in by my equipment and take one of the existing 2 cables (old SAT required 2 cables for DVR) to send it to splitter?

:welcome to Satelliteguys spradley007!

If the R16 is your only receiver/dvr, you don't need a splitter. Dish to PI to receiver/dvr.

And as for the PI, should i plug it in by my equipment and take one of the existing 2 cables (old SAT required 2 cables for DVR) to send it to splitter?
You can place the PI in-line between the R16 and the dish. The SWM port of the PI goes to the dish (if it isn't entirely obvious).

I have another receiver (d12-700).... that's going to be a problem isn't it?

No, the D12 is SWM-compatible also.
Dish to power inserter, PI to SWS2 splitter, D12 on one output, R16 on the other.

I have another receiver (d12-700).... that's going to be a problem isn't it?
You were withholding that intentionally, weren't you?

The D12 will work with SWiM as well. You get into a situation where you MUST use a DIRECTV green-label splitter (I recommend the two-way unless you're neglecting to mention even more SWiM capable boxes).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)