Direct TV said they can't install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

smakovits

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
A friend of ours got a new roof wick meant their satellite had to come down and be re-installed. But the installer said it must be installed and serviced from a ladder. This meant installing in the ice guard which voids the roof warranty. The end result, no satellite.

Is this normal? I know my satellite is way up on the roof, no problem. Oh, I got a new roof a few years back, no issues getting it re-installed. Only difference is I have dish. Just seems odd so I thought it easiest to ask. Thanks

In some areas a roof installation must be within reach of the ladder. Those rules don't apply to independent installers. Try one of them.

In general most of it is Osha and Liablity reasons... Most installers don't carry the proper tools (harness, rope, etc. per Osha) to do a roof mount off of the ladder... Like up on the peak. In house vs contractors vary from place to place and installer.... some Sub contractors won't do it. Usually an installer is required to have a 28ft ladder to do installs. If Ice guard is installed I am asuming they only did the bottom 36 inches from the bottom up....? You would have to check with contractor who installed the roof.... Other options include a pole mount in the yard... but each house is different...

Have them get a second opinion from a Supervisor if they are going to change cancelation fees... Hate to see a tech dinged for it, but I have ran into some lazzy techs who will wiggle there way out of anything thats difficult...

In some areas a roof installation must be within reach of the ladder. Those rules don't apply to independent installers. Try one of them.

Good point, just want to add that in most new contracts, Independant contractors are having to follow OHSA guild lines, and if they arn't careful they could get dinged for it... Bad dinged...

In our area you can be let go for installing a dish that you get off your ladder for. Basically if it will be something where it won't be able to be serviced in the winter, your in trouble.

My neighbor across the street had a dish installed in the middle of his roof a couple of weeks ago.

And I run into techs that cut cable, and steal grounds.... dose that mean its right? I understand that some techs cut corners to get the job done, depends on what that corner is... if they don't follow some sort of guideline they wont be doing the job for much longer... Alot of jobs don't get QC'd, and some get over OC'd.... Just like some techs are great, and some techs need to find a different occupation.... Im not here to stir up crap... just to offer an Idea, suggestion as to the OPs question.

OP,
Can they do a pole mount, is there Line of Sight for one ?
This would be the easy way to get around the roof issues, which I think should be a 1st option in the first place.

You didn't say where you are, but if your in the north and get snow you'll be happier on the ground in the long run.

Thanks for the input guys, now that you mention it, I think Ohio did recently add the rule requiring harnesses or fence for roofers, so the same likely applies. Can you get away without it, sure, but why risk it I guess. So if that's true, the guy wasn't just being lazy, too bad for them.

They were offered poll mount but decided against it for whatever reason.

I am up north in Cleveland and deal with snow. Typically it happens once or twice where ice or the wet sticky snow ruins my signal. I have 2 choices, wait till morning when it usually just fixes itself or get the ladder and hose and spray it with hot water. Not the safest, but it works.

I will ask why they didn't do pole mount. Maybe the location wouldn't be the most appealing.

I don't see what the big issue is installing a Dish on the ice shield part of the roof.

All they do when they put in the ice shield is put some stickey stuff for the first 3 feet of the roof.

If the warranty is such an issue, have the roofers install the Dish mount and call Directv to come back and re-align it.

Yea, I can see it now. My roof warranty is more important then me being able to watch Television....

The silicone and bishop tape that a good installer will use should be more than sufficient to make a long-lasting seal if the worry is about penetrating the ice guard.

I don't see what the big issue is installing a Dish on the ice shield part of the roof.

All they do when they put in the ice shield is put some stickey stuff for the first 3 feet of the roof.

If the warranty is such an issue, have the roofers install the Dish mount and call Directv to come back and re-align it.

Yea, I can see it now. My roof warranty is more important then me being able to watch Television....

We here in the midwest run into lots of people who don't want the dish installed on the roof, for a number of reasons, its mostly from higher end home owners, and rental properties both homes and apartments. If they put Ice guard (or other brand) on the roof I am guessing that its most likely a higher end roof, and people don't like them torn up. I would have to say that its a little disappointing when you get to an install, and the cable around that DMARK looks like crap, wires hanging every where, cable going into the house in 12 different locations etc. Have even been to some new houses where they really screwed up the DMARK, and have cable hanging everywhere... Some really crappy installs (Dosn't seem to matter what company did the install.)... The low voltage crew in general really needs to step it up and do a good job!

@ Harshness, Yes Silicone and bishop tape will do a proper job to seal it, but Ice Guard is expensive stuff, and they are warranting the roof of a house, damages could include up to a new house, @ current construction cost in the Midwest a 1500 square foot house is running around $225k....

@ Chip - Dose D* or T* allow commdeck, I might run it by my manager, if the customer will pay for it, I don't mind installing it. Just wonder how reliable it is vs a regular mount. Also would love if D* and others sales person would take a min to explain to the customer the install process and what to expect.... Yes it may take 2 hours, pole mounts are extra, running lots of cable is extra, no SWM can't run on the same line as your cable internet... take responsibility for your actions if you unplug something, and I get a charge back for it i will be upset. And on a 1-10 survey a 10 is the only acceptable answer. I will keep dreaming, but would say this area has room for improvement....

Ice Guard is code here in CT. I don't know where you are, but in the northest it's code. I don't know if Directv endorses a Commdeck install, but I would think it would be okay. Ask.

Ice Guard is code here in CT. I don't know where you are, but in the northest it's code. I don't know if Directv endorses a Commdeck install, but I would think it would be okay. Ask.

Kansas, and Ice guard is not code here, I don't believe its code in the any of the states around us, would have to check for Colorado... I am guessing they will say no as its not on the list for aproved mounts....

I'm sure there are areas of Colorado that require it. Lots of snow and cold there you know!

I'm sure there are areas of Colorado that require it. Lots of snow and cold there you know!

I would assume so... But having 15 years of IT, Electronics, and Construction and a degree in electronics eng. as my background... I can't assume anything... I have ran into too many nuts, and rules/Laws/ordinances/Codes that some one has pulled out of there hind end... Some times its just a peeing for distance contest... just like the Ice Cream business (I love ice cream) Every one has there own flavor of Chocolate, and they all have a different name for it, and if you get a bunch of people around they have to argue over who's chocolate is the best, someone always ends up going to jail because someone got offended by another persons comment about there brand of ice cream... lol

A friend of ours got a new roof wick meant their satellite had to come down and be re-installed. But the installer said it must be installed and serviced from a ladder. This meant installing in the ice guard which voids the roof warranty. The end result, no satellite.

Is this normal? I know my satellite is way up on the roof, no problem. Oh, I got a new roof a few years back, no issues getting it re-installed. Only difference is I have dish. Just seems odd so I thought it easiest to ask. Thanks

There are two issues.
One, there is a growing resistance to roof mounts where the antenna must be placed over the living area of the house. Many shops ban this.
I think the aspect of not allowing a tech to perform a roof mount where he must leave the ladder to climb onto the roof, is two fold. One it's for the safety of the tech and it also lessens the opportunity to place the antenna over a living area of the house.
One thing a homeowner must be aware of. If a worker is injured on your property, he can seek reimbursement for his medical bills from the homeowner's policy of his customer if he is injured while on the property. Many satellite customers either forget this or or are ignorant of this fact when they insist the tech walk out onto their roof.
FOr the last 4 years of my tenure as a tech, I refused to get off the ladder if the roof was over a 6/12 pitch and NEVER on a two story house.

Personally.... on an upgrade or service call, if I can get to the dish safely... I will.... on a New install, my days of being a dish monkey are over... MY JOB and PAYCHECK are not worth your having TV since Im sure no customer is going to feed my family if I get fired for getting off my ladder. And also in my experience, this rule is enforced on New Installs or Former Installs alot more than Upgrades and Service Calls. The rule was passed down from OSHA not DirecTV and not Mastec or Multiband, or DirecSAT. ALL HSP Employees got hit with this ever since the undercover boss ep aired. Retailers and Contractors can do what they want, but my opinion remains the same.

Personally.... on an upgrade or service call, if I can get to the dish safely... I will.... on a New install, my days of being a dish monkey are over... MY JOB and PAYCHECK are not worth your having TV since Im sure no customer is going to feed my family if I get fired for getting off my ladder. And also in my experience, this rule is enforced on New Installs or Former Installs alot more than Upgrades and Service Calls. The rule was passed down from OSHA not DirecTV and not Mastec or Multiband, or DirecSAT. ALL HSP Employees got hit with this ever since the undercover boss ep aired. Retailers and Contractors can do what they want, but my opinion remains the same.

Good points... I will have to look up the ep of undercover boss...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)