SWM on RG59 Cable

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

xndtx

Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
Boise, ID
Has anyone else found problems with installaing SWM equipment on RG59?
We currently have an exclusive contract with an apartment complex that has 100% RG59. We have nothing but issues with the service. It constantly searches for signal and sometimes even causes customers receivers to freeze. We have tried a million different things to fix this but nothing seems to work. The only thing left to replace and/or fix is the RG59 cables. But is RG59 really the issue? I dont know. DirecTV has said that RG59 will work with the SWM equipment, but I've had nothing but problems with it. Any help?
Thanks!

Has anyone else found problems with installaing SWM equipment on RG59?
We currently have an exclusive contract with an apartment complex that has 100% RG59. We have nothing but issues with the service. It constantly searches for signal and sometimes even causes customers receivers to freeze. We have tried a million different things to fix this but nothing seems to work. The only thing left to replace and/or fix is the RG59 cables. But is RG59 really the issue? I dont know. DirecTV has said that RG59 will work with the SWM equipment, but I've had nothing but problems with it. Any help?
Thanks!

I don't know about issues with the SWM setup specifically, but RG59 can be problematic with hd in general. If you have tried other options and not been able to solve the problems, it sounds like replacing the RG59 is your next step.

As was posted, because the SWM system uses frequencies lower than a "normal" DirecTV system, then the higher signal losses that RG59 has with the higher frequency signals aren't really relevant. Of course if the cables are too long then it will be a problem, but then it would also have been a problem with cable, so it's unlikely that signal losses from RG59 are the issue. But you need to do a signal loss analysis for the whole network to make sure that enough signal is getting to the receivers.
You might have a problem if the cables from the SWMs to the dish are also RG59, because those carry both conventional DirecTV signals and need to carry power to the LNB). If you are going to replace ANY RG59, start with the cables to the dish.

The other potential issue with the SWM system (I assume it's actually MFH2, correct?) is people in apartments adding tuners to the system without doing this through the system admin. That can result in having more than eight tuners connected to a single SWM8 and then you get what seems like random signal loss, and that can also freeze receivers.

I've seen rg59 work perfectlyl fine with SWM,and seen some fail anywere from a couple of days to months of the initial install.I did notice that it works better with the thicker kind of rg59 than the thinner.

If the Series 59 cable was swept to 600MHz at the time of manufacture, it could be the problem. Years ago when cable systems were only 330 or 450MHz, coax was manufactured with a bandwidth of 600MHz. Nowadays that isn't an issue.

If it is 20 year old cable, you could be trying to push 1450MHz over cable that was built for 600MHz.

If the Series 59 cable was swept to 600MHz at the time of manufacture, it could be the problem. Years ago when cable systems were only 330 or 450MHz, coax was manufactured with a bandwidth of 600MHz. Nowadays that isn't an issue.

If it is 20 year old cable, you could be trying to push 1450MHz over cable that was built for 600MHz.

Not to mention fittings & wall plates that were done 20 years ago. I would examine a few random plates just to see how the fittings were made & cut. Any outside cable runs are suspect.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)