I'm coming over!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chikagobnd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
lynchburg, va
Well, after years of being an E* subscriber and hanging around the E* forum, I finally made the switch tonight after lots of deliberation. After another year of struggling with the poor quality and functionality of MLB.TV, I just couldn't go another season without MLB Extra Innings. But the current promotion from D* was what I've been waiting for and put me over the top. The 2 free receiver upgrades, a second year of discounts(granted, less than the first year). I'm not an E* hater, but I'm surely not an E* fan boy either(obviously)...D* was able to offer something that was cost effective and still meets all my programming desires. So, basically, just want to state that I'm excited to be making the move and look forward to discussing and learning the in's and out's of D* with all of you!

PS- Any predictions on how many replies it will be until the word "troll" is lobbed at me?(a paying supporter of the site with more than 200 posts, all of which have been in the E* forum...so save it!)

welcome aboard the good side of satellite television, oh and if you are a baseball fan don't forget to look at MLB NETWORK

welcome to the dark side.:) we're here to help. and you can pm msmith as much as you like :D

Welcome. The hardware kinda sucks sometimes, but the programming you watch on it is spectacular, and will be even better if that new bird ever starts working.

Alright, I'm going to fire an install question at you guys. They are coming out on Saturday to hook up my new system, consisting of one HD-DVR and 2 HD Receivers. The HD-DVR will be in the living room, one HD receiver in the bedroom, and the other HD receiver in the garage. First question, will they be able to use existing wiring from a Dish Network install(from 6 mos. ago)? The second question pertains to the garage...there is no cabling in there at all...it is a detached garage at a max of 150 feet away from current E* dish on the roof. Is it going to be feasible to run a line there under the standard installation, or will that fall under custom? Does SWM help this situation at all?? I'm just reading up on that option, and I'm certainly no installer, so I'm just wondering if that helps in my situation or not. Basically, I want to get that box in the garage(which has turned into my hideout from the wife) without being charged extra...any thoughts????

PS- Any predictions on how many replies it will be until the word "troll" is lobbed at me?)
Welcome , and don't worry about , I don't.:)

Most of the people throwing the Troll card, Are the fanboys that can't be told the truth.

I'm in the process of my D* switch,which will be complete by the end of May.

I feel it was a wise choice since Charlie is most liking going to face another lawsuit over its bogus HD claims.
And I'm tired of paying for his dumb lawsuits.

Remember to fill out your rebates online at directv.com/rebates do it before the installer shows up to get your rebates on your first bill

Did that as soon as I finished my online order. With a second year of discounts, it really turned out to be a fantastic deal!

b. If a customer would like to install a receiver in a detached garage, guest house, or back house don't tell the customer that the technician can do a cable drop from the front house all the way to the detached building. DirecTV doesn't allow technicians to do this. We are required to install a second dish on the detached building.

Found the above in a forum on Directv's website for installers. This was one of the issues being addressed by the poster to CSR's. Anyone know if that information is accurate? If I need a second dish, what kind of money am I looking at for that?? Check out my question on my install a couple posts up for more info on what I'm looking to find out.

Last edited:
The signal quality might be better with a another dish anyway. 125 feet is within the maximum distance for SWM, but then you have to deal with burying cable or hanging it in the air.

If I were you I would buy another dish from solid signal or ebay. Since you are only installing one HD non-dvr receiver just buy the regular slimline, not the SWM version. Have it there when the installer gets there and I am sure he will install it for you, especially with a cash incentive.

Here is one on Solid Signal:

DIRECTV Five LNB Ka/Ku Slim Line Dish Antenna for MPEG-4 C HD Programming (AU9-S) - DIRECTV Slim Line - AU9-S -

Welcome to Directv!

You are going to LOOOOOOOOOOOVE the MLB Network. I know I do (heck that is one of the reasons I came to D*) :)

The signal quality might be better with a another dish anyway. 125 feet is within the maximum distance for SWM, but then you have to deal with burying cable or hanging it in the air.

If I were you I would buy another dish from solid signal or ebay. Since you are only installing one HD non-dvr receiver just buy the regular slimline, not the SWM version. Have it there when the installer gets there and I am sure he will install it for you, especially with a cash incentive.

Here is one on Solid Signal:

DIRECTV Five LNB Ka/Ku Slim Line Dish Antenna for MPEG-4 C HD Programming (AU9-S) - DIRECTV Slim Line - AU9-S -

Boy, I hope I'm not SOL on this...second, I hope I don't cause a major problem for the installer when he/she comes. My garage has a big tree in front of it that I'm sure blocks the southern view, so that's probably not even an option. Doesn't it cause a big headache with corporate for the installer if they are not able to install all receivers ordered by the customer?? I suppose I could hook up the 3rd receiver in my 2nd bedroom, and work out a solution later, but I'd like to just get it done. Do I need to contact D* to inform them of my situation, or just wait til Saturday and see what happens?

I'm having an install 5/1 after 4 1/2 yrs w/Dish. I've had local cable in the interim and I'm spoiled w/MLBNET and other sports so that's why I've switched. I like Dish but their 'Gestapo Squad' was finally too much for me with the insults.

Boy, I hope I'm not SOL on this...second, I hope I don't cause a major problem for the installer when he/she comes. My garage has a big tree in front of it that I'm sure blocks the southern view, so that's probably not even an option. Doesn't it cause a big headache with corporate for the installer if they are not able to install all receivers ordered by the customer?? I suppose I could hook up the 3rd receiver in my 2nd bedroom, and work out a solution later, but I'd like to just get it done. Do I need to contact D* to inform them of my situation, or just wait til Saturday and see what happens?

I would wait and see then. If LOS is a potential issue, don't order the dish. Wait for the installer and see what happens. How do you plan to have the cable run to the garage? Is there conduit in the ground or is their an overhead LOW voltage line to piggyback? Did you have cable in the garage before?

Worst case scenario, the installer connects the third receiver to your second bedroom temporarily and you have to work out the garage later. You may have to reschedule that portion, pay a custom installer, or better yet, do it yourself. It's really pretty easy.

I am coming back as well. I wont make this a long rant so I figured I will post under this thread.

I had Directv for about eight years before we switched to Dish, more or less for a change. I wont slam Dish as they have some nice HD channels out, I just miss some of the "sports" options available under Direct. I am looking foward to D12 as there are a few nationals I enjoy (Travel) on Dish in HD and looks like "soon" ESPNU. So with that looking foward to coming back to the Direct side and hopefully Dish will conitnue to move foward on HD as I think it helps all out. My install is this friday going with the HDDVR Reciever, HD Reciever and firing up a old TIVO for our third TV we have. No crazy promotions, just the regular one going on right now.

If the few forums are any indication of the actual parameter, it appears that many of those that switch to Dish from Direct (mainly due to price), end up coming back after their contract is up. This probably explains why Dish, on the average, has a higher annual churn RATE (percentage that leave out of the total number of subs)

Status
Please reply by conversation.