SWM or not-SWM? What do I have? (photos)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cparker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
May 8, 2007
Sanborn, NY
I previously had a pair of HR24s with MRV. We needed more tuners so I got one HR24 swapped out and replaced with an HR34. It has had some issues with playbacks freezing. I don't mean stuttering. I mean stopping. You're done. I'm not playing any more. This is it. Finito. So you miss like... the last 12 minutes of a program or something. Anyways... we're now adding a TV in the kitchen and will be connecting a genie client to it. That got me to running around and looking at what's actually down in the basement as far as gizmos...

I don't have a SWM-8 anywhere. I have an 8-port multiswitch with a power inserter connected to it.... pictures might help...

I have this:
SPLIT8.jpg

Single cable from dish goes to that single port on the side, power inserter is connected to that port with red insert. Then there a cable to each of the receivers (the HR34 and the HR24) also plugged into that multiswitch. The "IRD" port of the power inserter goes into my wiring closet and is connected to my DECA there.

What I do NOT have is one of these:
swm-8.jpg

So do I not NEED the SWM-8 because the SWM is built in to the LNBs?

Power inserter is PI-21. I just want to be sure the cabling is correct. Sound like it's hooked up ok?

Thanks

You have SWM. You really only need a 4-way though. You're losing 12db on the 8-way vs 8 db on the 4-way

But the way the cables are running is ok, right? I'm trying to just make sure I don't have a very basic cable issue that would be screwing up the HR34 somehow.
The original installer STAPLED the cable to the underside of my joists in the basement and in some cases it looks like the cable is compressed about the thickness of the staple itself. The cabling that I ran when I bought the house a couple years ago is secured with cable clips, not staples. And I drilled joists to pass through them rather than under them. I have an installer coming to install a C31 in the kitchen tomorrow. Should be a cake job for him as that multiswitch is about 10 feet from where he goes up through the floor behind the refrigerator and I already have holes drilled for the cable from point A to point B where necessary.

I guess I'm just not thrilled about adding this C31 into the system as long as I'm still having issues with the HR34 freezing solid during playback, but.... wife wants TV in kitchen so here we go. Down the rabbit hole again.. :)

Actual having stapled the line is a huge issue! You're running so much information via 1 RG6 line that small issues in a cable will do very odd things. Are you only have the issue when you're watching a recording in another room via the 34? I would remove that cable and rerun it. Stapled cable is a bad bad thing with the new genie/client systems. Even MRV has issues when cable is attached to things via a staple

I'm with Hutch. Staples are an absolute no-no, especially when you can see that it has crimped the cable. I would also ask the installer to swap out the splitter with a green labeled one. You should have a green labeled splitter for MRV.

I'm a bit surprised the installer who did the HR34 work did not rework your cable. But, it needs to be fixed now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DirecTV announces Q4 and FY 2012 Results w/ Conf Call Notes

HR-22 vs HR-21?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)