SWM Setup with RG-11

Status
Please reply by conversation.

doityourselfer

Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Hollywood, CA
I know it seems weird to setup my swm 5-lnb satellite dish and hr23 receivers with rg-11, but that was what was actually preexisting in my apartment building. Here is the deal: Dish is hooked up to rg-11 which runs all the way into my apartment. There it is split using the DirecTV approved swm 4 way splitter. I then have rg-6 running from the 4 way splitter to each of my receivers.

Go figure, it doesn't work. I know that DirecTV says you can only use rg-6, But I thought that was just some misleading statement made to keep people from using rg-59...

Any idea why running a SWM setup with rg-11 wouldn't work? My point is, before trying to run new cable, is there something else I should be trying?

What type of cable is between the power inserter and the SWiM LNB (or switch)? IIRC that leg has to been RG-6 due to the voltage being carried.

As a test, I put the power inserter outside and hooked it into the dish with r6-6. then i used the rg-11 to run inside into my splitter and then to the receiver. That didn't work either. Shouldn't rg-11 handle that type of voltage anyways?

Don't know then, dumb question, did you go through the sat antenna setup and make sure that it's set for SWM and the correct dish/LNB?

I guess i will try re terminating all points. It is not the receiver, I ran a short line from the dish to the receiver temporarily to test and all worked well. When using the existing wiring, something doesn't work right. I estimate the distance is on the high end of 150' which is said to be the maximum for SWM. Maybe the cable snakes more than I realize in the walls... Has anyone had success using swm more than 150'?

I thought there was a distance limitation for between the PI and the SWiM, don't remember what it was but 50" rings a bell.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)