Video and Sound sync issues ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mike_S

Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
Redwood City, CA
Something has been really bugging me lately, and nobody has been able to help. I hope I'm not crazy, and would to hear love any ideas you guys have.

Until recently I had DirecTV receivers with no DVR capability. I had at least 5 different receivers over the years, and have had DirecTV since 1998 in two different homes. I never noticed any consistent issues where the sound was out-of-sync with the video. Maybe once or twice EVER I noticed issues which I attributed to broadcast issues and not DirecTV issues, and they always went away by the next day or on other channels.

Recently I got a DirecTV SD receiver with DVR capability. When the guys installed it, they removed my old "outdated" multiplexor and replaced it with a "modern" one. When this occured, my best non-DVR receiver moved to my upstairs TV.

The day after he changed things, and ever-since, I have often notice lip-sync issues where the sound seems slightly out-of-sync with the video. It's here and there, many shows are fine, but then others have enough to notice it, and sometimes it's REALLY far off.

There seems to be no consistency about it: When a show has the issue, it will continue to the end of the show, but not necessarily into later shows on the same channel. Further if a show has the issue, other shows on other channels at the same time may not have it, or have it as bad.

The problem occurs both on live TV and also on recorded DVR shows (and if it occurs live, it will show on the DVR playback later). And I've even noticed it on rare occasion on the older (non-DVR) receiver, for which I'd never noticed it before.

I tried everything in the manual, and everything that customer support suggested, and I also had the installer come over to try to help but nothing has fixed it. It's good most of the time, but the other times are very annoying. The installer claims it's always a broadcast issue, and there's nothing that can be done about it.

Since then I have to admit that I've noticed the problem once or twice on other peoples' TVs, some of whom do not have DirecTV.

But the thing is I now notice it on things like ESPN SportsCenter sometimes, where the sportscasters' lips are slightly off with the sound. And I've watched that show almost every day for years and never noticed it before. I have to think that something changed in my setup or with the receivers that has introduced this problem.

So did I just happen to start noticing a common problem when I got the new multiplexor and receiver ? Or is possible that the "modern" multiplexor actually introduced this problem into my home ? Or is possibly the DVR box ? Or something else ?

I hope I'm not crazy. All information and help appreciated!!

Well, if you are crazy, this isn't necessarily the proof! ;) Seriously, lip sync issues have been here since there has been tv, more so since digital. Sometimes changing the channel will help, sometimes not. You can also try rebooting your receiver/dvr. There doesn't seem to be an easy fix that I have found.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)