TAILGATE DISH LOCATION

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mosnowman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Midwest
Okay I have a H & G heavy duty tripod coming to use with my recently purchased Slimline Dish and HD Receiver....so here's my question...

The tailgate lot is extremely crowded and I could see a bump into the tuned dish taking place.... so is it possible to set up my tripod and dish on top of my Ford Expeditions roof? Obviously not on a windy day but if the weather is ideal will that work okay? Thanks!

Okay I have a H & G heavy duty tripod coming to use with my recently purchased Slimline Dish and HD Receiver....so here's my question...

The tailgate lot is extremely crowded and I could see a bump into the tuned dish taking place.... so is it possible to set up my tripod and dish on top of my Ford Expeditions roof? Obviously not on a windy day but if the weather is ideal will that work okay? Thanks!

Sure, If your OK with that .....
Personally, I would not want to be walking on top of my vehicle.

Just remember that it's absolutely CRITICAL to have the mast plumb (particularly HD) and that's gonna be kinda hard on the roof of your vehicle! :cool:

The H&G kit comes with a hard surface gadget that will maintain the span/spread but I would probably do something with small chain. The biggest issue is the tripod has sharp pointed legs (so a surveyor can stick them in the dirt). They are removable. Maybe some rubber cane tips could be put on the legs. The slimline is top heavy. The tripod has an eyelet below the mast. I have been filling a five gallon bucket with water and using a bungee to tie it to that for ballast.

If your Expedition has a roof rack I'd consider using that. Maybe you could use two crosswise 2x4's with two holes in one and one the other to accept the tripod's tips. Just bungee them down. I'd get all laid out at home and maybe even tied on before you go. Then just pop in the tripod and level it and take your shot at the 101. Preset the Elevation and Tilt before hauling the dish to the roof. You will be slowed down by taking a fresh shot with the dish rather than the tripod each time. Be careful 5 degrees off can make you hit the wrong sat but with your receiver and set on and a the Signal Strength Bar(s) page you should be able to see the 101 pretty quickly.

I would also get the HD Folding LNB Arm Kit to make the dish more stow-able (requires hack-sawing, drilling four holes, and small fingers). The hokey compass, bubble level, and Sat Finder meter that come with the Combo Kit are actually quite functional tools and he ain't overcharging for them.

I have some concern as to whether you bought a multi-switch or SWM LNB dish. The SWM dish requires a power inserter while the older multi-switch require B-Band converters. Just make sure you have the right gizmos inline.

I would also get the HD Folding LNB Arm Kit to make the dish more stow-able (requires hack-sawing, drilling four holes, and small fingers). The hokey compass, bubble level, and Sat Finder meter that come with the Combo Kit are actually quite functional tools and he ain't overcharging for them.

Schneid,
I have not seen these, where do you find them ?

edit: I did find them.
I made one similar for the same purpose, but decided it was just as easy to take a few bolts out instead.

Last edited:
Schneid...is this right?....

"I have some concern as to whether you bought a multi-switch or SWM LNB dish. The SWM dish requires a power inserter while the older multi-switch require B-Band converters. Just make sure you have the right gizmos inline."

Schneid thanks for the info..heres what I bought...

Is this the right dish for ESPN HD?

Kaku Slim Line Satellite Dish 99 101 103 Hdtv 3 LNB

Technical Details
SL3 Slim Line Dish receives satellites 99, 101 and 103
Gets all HD channels broadcast by DirecTV
Runs 4 receivers in all 1080P or P.
Dish size: 22.5 in. x 32.5 in
DIRECTV 3 LNB Ka/Ku SlimLine Dish Antenna for MPEG-4 C HD Programming

"I have some concern as to whether you bought a multi-switch or SWM LNB dish. The SWM dish requires a power inserter while the older multi-switch require B-Band converters. Just make sure you have the right gizmos inline."

Schneid thanks for the info..heres what I bought...

Is this the right dish for ESPN HD?

Kaku Slim Line Satellite Dish 99 101 103 Hdtv 3 LNB

Technical Details
SL3 Slim Line Dish receives satellites 99, 101 and 103
Gets all HD channels broadcast by DirecTV
Runs 4 receivers in all 1080P or P.
Dish size: 22.5 in. x 32.5 in
DIRECTV 3 LNB Ka/Ku SlimLine Dish Antenna for MPEG-4 C HD Programming

Mosnowman,
That dish will do much more than get just the 101 for SD ...
That will get all the Core programming (101) and the HD portion as well, (99 and 103)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)