tailgater problems

mussfly

Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
se pa
I have a dish tailgater and I called dish to put my wally and a 211z on my account. but I can not get it to do anything except for either receiver to ask for state and then ask for search( or what ever is next ) and then wait about 5 min and then the go back to state ?. and after doing this maybe 30 time and moved the tailgater to at least 6 diff. spots I am ready to give up.
I called dish several times with one time being 4 hrs and three diff. people and no help and with this being in an rv and the closest dealer for tailgater being a very long distance from me. so I called dish again and asked if they could send someone to my address and they said they will not send anyone out for an rv, even though I am a dish customer.
I saw there was a diagnostic button and and saw my reception was a 22-23 and still got nowhere and even herd the tailgater move when connected.
so I would like input before I forget the tailgater and just go back to Comcast cause they will send someone out!

Are the Wally and 211Z new? Have they ever worked? If new, they must have firmware loaded to them from a working account attached to a regular dish like you may have at home. Once that firmware is loaded all should work fine with the Tailgater.

Are the Wally and 211Z new? Have they ever worked? If new, they must have firmware loaded to them from a working account attached to a regular dish like you may have at home. Once that firmware is loaded all should work fine with the Tailgater.

they both are new and never worked, it did not say anything about updates, so how do you get the updates?
dish did not mention anything about that!

they both are new and it did not say anything about updates, so how do you get the updates?
dish did not mention anything about that!
You need to attach the receivers to a regular dish and boot them up. At that time the proper firmware will load. After that you can attach them to a Tailgater and it will work properly.

ok, I moved both the wally and the 211z into the house connecting one at a time to the wall outlet, plugging them in and hooked them up using the HDMI cable from the receiver to the tv. turned the tv on and tried to select tv, av, hdmi 1, hdmi 2 and comp and with no results. plus I found that the remotes from dish are not fully functional . I tried antenna and cable in tv mode and got " no signal from all settings. so I moved them to another wall outlet and got the same results .
does dish need to know if the are in house, cause both receivers are listed on my account?

It would help if you understood basic television operation. You need to call whoever sold you this equipment and let them talk you through setup.

I bought the setup off of camping world about 2 yrs ago getting ready for a long trip ,but that never happened because of health issues and now we are planning to be snowbirds . so everything would be out of warranty.
the tailgater is the vq4500

ok, I moved both the wally and the 211z into the house connecting one at a time to the wall outlet, plugging them in and hooked them up using the HDMI cable from the receiver to the tv. turned the tv on and tried to select tv, av, hdmi 1, hdmi 2 and comp and with no results. plus I found that the remotes from dish are not fully functional . I tried antenna and cable in tv mode and got " no signal from all settings. so I moved them to another wall outlet and got the same results .
does dish need to know if the are in house, cause both receivers are listed on my account?
The satellite receivers send 18volts DC to the satellite dish. Wallplates may not be connected so no voltage is going to the dish. You may need to find a technician that can/will work on your system.

You say you hooked the receivers up to a wall outlet. What exactly do you mean by that? Is it the electrical outlet or an outlet that goes to a dish that is pointed at the proper satellites?

Reactions: TheKrell
the wall outlet is the coaxial outlet in the house. and the coaxial outlet is last one inline. would trying to hook up a wally or the 211z be effect by the hopper and joey's?

Yes. The line would need to go directly to the LNB, or switch. The node and hub will affect that. Especially if you’re booking up to the client port.

Reactions: pattykay
This thread has gotten a little long and confusing please help us help you.
What receivers do you have at home? A Hopper? Joeys? are you connecting the 211Z and the Wally to the home dish?
Do you have a 1000.2 dish? Are you trying to use the VQ4500 connected to the home dish or as a separate stand alone system?
Can you provide any pictures of your system, you can see what you have we can only guess from your questions?

Reactions: TheKrell
lets backup, to start 2 yrs ago i was planning a trip and had health issues and never hooked up the tailgater vq4500 or the wally or the 211z . and now the setup is out of warranty which i bought from camping world mail order. because i never thought there would be a problem. and thought it would be a easy setup.
i ran new rg6 cable 1 piece with no other cuts in the rg6 from the back bumper straight to the rear tv outlet in the camper which i planned to hook it to the the aux output on the tailgater. i also ran a new rg6 cable for the tailgater trough the wall and have one connection point going into the camper and then the coaxial outlet inside at both the rear and the front master tv connection points. and checked the line runs with a meter and everything is ok.
setup which there was none , at least it never did as the setup guide shows on the wally or the 211z. and all i get is a ? of which state and then i select the correct one which it the goes to scan . which i wait for a while and then it would have to repeat again and again with no other screens. and if i do a diagnoses using the options., i get a signal strength of 22 and it shows a hookup is ok. so i turn the tailgater a little and can hear it move inside.
so as recommended i tried the setup in the house and got nowhere so far. but i did not try disconnecting the hopper or the joey yet.

The Hopper and Joey will not work with the Tailgater, so don't even go there. Do you know what dish and LNB you have for the Hopper? The 211Z or Wally needs a direct line to the Hopper's dish connected directly to an output port on the LNB to update the programming.

If you have a Hopper and Joey at home, you need to run a coax directly from the dish to the 211/Wally to get it to load the proper firmware. This can be a very temporary setup because it only needs to be done once.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts